• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Potential Edge aftermarket fab. products-new company seeking input.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
i think a better route to go with on the a-arms kits would be make a kit that uses IQ parts and sell it as a full kit and as a kit you can buy that is just the mounting, that way some one could use IQ parts that they might have layin around, that way replacement parts would be more available as well.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
I have both the trailing arms and the full rear suspension. However trailing arms are on my 04 PRO X 2. So I dont know if they would work.

I
Dec 1, 2009
Truckee, CA
I just spent some time poking around my machine trying to figure out a decent method for mounting arms that is not too involved for the average enthusiast. I have a pretty good idea for mounting. I can see lots of sleep lost over this one already...

T
Jan 4, 2009
Washington
Inde-Fab: i like you ideas and i appreciate your entrepreneurial spirit! A-arms a are cool idea, but I just cant see too many people buying them. I paid $2600 for my RMK 2 years ago. It works great but I can't justify spending $1500 on a $3k sled. Just my $.02

I do like your idea of a steering post reinforcer. I don't have the time, patience, equipment or need to make a professional quality part, but i did manage to make a DIY steering post reinforcer. It doesn't look pretty but it works really really well.

I'd be much more likely to buy 10 misc. $100 parts or 5 $200 parts than a single $1000 part.

Other Ideas:

-Shorter, taller seat. Maybe something like the Dragon seat
-A different rear cargo rack. The stock one is ugly and restrictive. Like somebody said, the coolant hoses will need protection.
-Maybe a bracket or something that effectively adds an inch or so to the front shock length. I'm not sure if this is the solution... I've just always felt like the front RMK suspension geometry could use a few changes.
-???

photo 3.jpg

I
Dec 1, 2009
Truckee, CA
Tree Killer-Thanks for the insight. To be honest I'm really just too broke to get an IQ and after riding all my friends machines I'm convinced my sled is 98% as capable and 1000% more reliable. a-arms are worth my time even if I never sell a kit.

I like the seat idea, I think it would make the machine look a-bit more updated.

I have always felt more ridgidity in the steering post would be good too. I saw I simple brace once years ago and have always thought about that.

RYDPWDR

Premium Member
Aug 15, 2002
Billings,MT
A-Arms

I can't believe I still don't have the picture but Polaris Industries actually had a test sled that was a EDGE with A-arms. In fact I remember seeing the picture in snowest magazine I think. I'll try to see if I can find it.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
I can't believe I still don't have the picture but Polaris Industries actually had a test sled that was a EDGE with A-arms. In fact I remember seeing the picture in snowest magazine I think. I'll try to see if I can find it.

Come to think of it I remember that as well.

westsledin

Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2008
I can send you some pics. This sled was built by V/E. It originally started with a 995 PSI motor. Currently has an '03 800. It has a 3" drop and 6" roll. As long as the 163 sleds today, maybe a bit longer. What I like about the sled is from either end, it is lighter than today stuff.

I will send you a pm when I get her out and cleaned up... I am getting ready to sell it. I don't ride this one anymore. My kids are older and want to go more, so this sled doen't lend itself to that much trail riding ;):D

BAMF! I don't want to be quite that tall but thats bad-a! I want to see close up pics of the arm mounting, looks like they did some serious modifications to the bulkhead...

E
Feb 22, 2009
Tree killer - that must be some POS sled you bought for $2600 two yrs ago!!! I pd. $4500 for mine, was offered $4000 on trade in before i replaced the engine and now have invested $4000 in a engine rebuild and updates inc all the best parts, bored, ported, polished, reeds, crank etc...That was last yr...since then I have bought the new Boss seat @ $500, The Avid extended chaincase @ $700, 8 tooth 3" pitch drivers @ $300, New Camo Xtreme 2.5" track @ $800, I have a 09' Dragon skid installed w Walker Evans shocks...and the list keeps getting bigger and bigger. So who are you to say guys won't spend money on a "A" arm setup?? I for one would jump all over the idea as i have my whole sled ripped apart right now and just the other night i was thinking the exact same thing...how to improve the edge suspension in the front, and implement a new plastic tub for it? I think a "A" arm setup would be killer and if anyone has ever had all their plastic off before and seen how mean the edge looks with no plastic you will know what I'm talking about...were talking about huge weight reduction, a more arrow dinamic machine, the tub was a huge waste of space but engineers did not know any better at the time. Have you ever even picked up a wrench and worked on your edge? These sleds are great, fun to ride, and fun to work on. Why don't you check out the post with all the pics from everyones edge mods they have done and perhaps you would understand that their is people who put alot of money into these machines. Inde you got my vote!! I don't care how expensive your arms are I want a set. My trailing arms need to be replaced right now anyways...so you better hurry up before I make my own design.

T
Jan 4, 2009
Washington
Tree killer - that must be some POS sled you bought for $2600 two yrs ago!!! I pd. $4500 for mine, was offered $4000 on trade in before i replaced the engine and now have invested $4000 in a engine rebuild and updates inc all the best parts, bored, ported, polished, reeds, crank etc...That was last yr...since then I have bought the new Boss seat @ $500, The Avid extended chaincase @ $700, 8 tooth 3" pitch drivers @ $300, New Camo Xtreme 2.5" track @ $800, I have a 09' Dragon skid installed w Walker Evans shocks...and the list keeps getting bigger and bigger. So who are you to say guys won't spend money on a "A" arm setup?? I for one would jump all over the idea as i have my whole sled ripped apart right now and just the other night i was thinking the exact same thing...how to improve the edge suspension in the front, and implement a new plastic tub for it? I think a "A" arm setup would be killer and if anyone has ever had all their plastic off before and seen how mean the edge looks with no plastic you will know what I'm talking about...were talking about huge weight reduction, a more arrow dinamic machine, the tub was a huge waste of space but engineers did not know any better at the time. Have you ever even picked up a wrench and worked on your edge? These sleds are great, fun to ride, and fun to work on. Why don't you check out the post with all the pics from everyones edge mods they have done and perhaps you would understand that their is people who put alot of money into these machines. Inde you got my vote!! I don't care how expensive your arms are I want a set. My trailing arms need to be replaced right now anyways...so you better hurry up before I make my own design.

I think the used sled prices must be a little higher where you are from. Or maybe you just paid too much. There are usually a few nice looking Edge chasis RMK's for sale on my local craigslist for $2500-$3500.

I agree, the edge chassis is a lot of fun to work on. I've done a lot of work to my sled over the past two years. I have not spent very much money on it though. If I had $11k+ to spend on a snowmobile it probably would not be on an edge chassis though. I'd probably buy a leftover M8 or Dragon, put a turbo on it and install some lighter weight parts. For now I just have my $2600 RMK, and I'm fine with that. I ride it where many people would not risk riding a more expensive machine. I beat the crap out of it, and ride it like I stole it.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
did i hear something about older style holtz rear susp. tell me more
what do you think susp. kits would cost any idea ?
i remeber holtz selling the crap out of them for the $800 range close out price

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
I've got 5g's in motor work and aftermarket mods on my edge and would love to see more options as far as rear suspension and front. The a-arms wld be great if proven that they are superior performance and strength wise. I have no problems dumpin 1g after 1g on my edge but need to be convinced it is worth it before I do. The front has always seemed a bit heavy so any type of improvement would be fantastic. Boost does help the weight transfer as well as wooohoo factor :D:D Good luck and keep the info coming.:beer;:beer;

I
Dec 1, 2009
Truckee, CA
this is great! I'm definately dedicated to making this happen. Yesterday when I was sketching I thought about a potential for a new nose too, maybe frankenstein an IQR front clip somehow...The way I look at it though thats a little more involved than most people will want and a whole bunch of extra $
Ideally I could offer the option or a full-race fiberglass or carbon-fiber unit. (I do that stuff too)

Here's where I'm at now. The first kit would require a custom cromo bumper (still lightweight) but strong enough to hold the a-arms. 1 hole in each forward-side of the inner fender wells to clear new arms. I want you to be able to slap stock stuff back on a sled and install a new vent to sell it. Then the consumer could keep my kit for their next machine.

Buyer will have to choose shocks, I will be dialing setup options for freestyle, freeride, and racing with the help of some of you guys. Ideally the consumer would have a couple affordable shock options and some nicer ones too.

You guys are very helpful, thanks for keeping it positive and constructive. Snow-west forum members will be automatically getting 20% off my stuff for at least the first year. :present::present::present:

P.S.
I'm going to try to get this a-arm thing going but the holz-edge stuff is also on the top of my list. If anyone has any of the rear swingarms or front trailing arms I could borrow to look at I will give you a replacement set at-cost. Mine wont be identical or widen the stance, but weight performance and strength should all be in the same ballpark, cost will be less.

Last edited:
X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
P.S.
I'm going to try to get this a-arm thing going but the holz-edge stuff is also on the top of my list. If anyone has any of the rear swingarms or front trailing arms I could borrow to look at I will give you a replacement set at-cost. Mine wont be identical or widen the stance, but weight performance and strength should all be in the same ballpark, cost will be less.

I have both the trailing arms and the Skid. Shoot me a PM and I will take whatever picture you want.
I can do measurements too. maybe we could work out something.

Bushwacker1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Wisconsin
how about an air box made from aluminum that is lighter and easy to get on and off if designed right it could free up room in front of gas tank for an optional storage container mabey an oil tank too there is a lot of room back there and polaris did not use it very wisely a reinforced aluminum front bumper that mounts like the plastic one but lighter would probably sell

Premium Features