• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kurt's Polaris Pro RMK Gear Down Kit 15 Pro 800 Thoughts?

tommyboy7210

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2019
Hello, I'm new to sledding and the forum, I purchased a really nice low mile 15 800 Pro Terrain Dominator Edition. It has an aftermarket can and 10-60 weights on the clutch. I weigh about 300 lbs with all gear, bags, pack etc. and have been riding 9000' to 10500' Utah Unitas. The sled runs great, no problems, but looking for more low end grunt to get the sled moving. The RPM's will flash up to about 8000-8150 and pulls strong but just looking for more bottom end and mid range power and response. I would think this kit would do the trick but looking for some input from any current users of the Kurt's Kit. Thanks Tom

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Any gear down on a polaris 800 will greatly benefit low, mid and high rpm ranges. Go as low as humanly possible.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
You would have to call Kurts to see if they still stock them for the Pro-ride chassis. I have run them on 2 sleds now and my buddy runs one also and they are great... it will throw your speedometer off a bit. I have a speedo-healer on mine, most people don't care, I didn't want to be stacking up more miles than I was already LOL. With the speedo-healer on and adjusted pretty close, I was still able to hit 81mph chasing down my buddy on the trail, and I don't believe I was max'd out...

If you can't get one from Kurts, you may be able to pick one up used, just beware of any damage or cracks that may be present on used. You never know if they have taken a hit or something. The other alternative is TKI. I have to admit I like their stuff however taking out the bolts necessary to install their tensioner brackets was a huge PITA (had to heat them to glowing to release the Lords adhesive Polaris put on them), and once I got them out I realized the battery box brackets would have to be heavily modified to work... so I gave up and sold off the TKI I had picked up and went with Kurts - no tensioner on this system...

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
Just get a set of pro sprokets, they fit perfect and drop the ratio at pretty low cost

The 15 is a pro..

Hello, I'm new to sledding and the forum, I purchased a really nice low mile 15 800 Pro Terrain Dominator Edition. It has an aftermarket can and 10-60 weights on the clutch. I weigh about 300 lbs with all gear, bags, pack etc. and have been riding 9000' to 10500' Utah Unitas. The sled runs great, no problems, but looking for more low end grunt to get the sled moving. The RPM's will flash up to about 8000-8150 and pulls strong but just looking for more bottom end and mid range power and response. I would think this kit would do the trick but looking for some input from any current users of the Kurt's Kit. Thanks Tom

I've put Kurts kit on a couple Polaris pro's, I think they are one of the best mods you can do to wake them up, and Kurt is great to deal with.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Thanks for the responses I just ordered a kit! Tom
You won't regret it... really makes these sleds pull hard off the bottom end. I ended up getting a clutch kit from them too but it isn't required by any means... sled pulls hard either way. Did you order it out of Seeley or Missoula Kurts? I know the guys in Missoula a bit better but they are all great.

tommyboy7210

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2019
Kurt's

I'm not sure which location just called the Montana number posted under the kit on their website. Larry answered and transferred to Mike in the parts dept. Super quick and easy to deal with, already shipped out too! Tom

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
I have the identical sled as you and put the kurts gear down and their clutch kit on and It works awesome. I hope you ordered a spare belt as well cause you never know and not everybody runs a Kurts set up.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I'm not sure which location just called the Montana number posted under the kit on their website. Larry answered and transferred to Mike in the parts dept. Super quick and easy to deal with, already shipped out too! Tom

Missoula.
Yep, that is Missoula, stopped in for a quick check on a parts order tonight right before closing and talked to Larry. They told me the Axys gear-downs are on hold as they had a rush on them and the belt supplier for them is behind... but not the case for the Pro gear-down kits. Even though I prefer to support my local dealer I did find another source for the belts.
As for having a spare, it is good to have one at least in the truck, but the latest version of the belt for these kits has been showing itself to be extremely durable. I have a used one I keep around for the "just in case" scenario but I don't bring it with me... maybe I should but I don't. Since my riding buddy and I both run this kit it would probably be good for one of us to have one along plus enough tools to put it on...

tommyboy7210

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2019
Results are in....

So I put the Kurt's kit on my 15 Pro and what a difference it made in throttle response or snap especially off idle. Well worth the money and came with an extra belt.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Systems with a long belt that wraps around the top gear and has a tensioner are the only way to go for lowest friction due to looser belt and best gear to belt contact. These things make a huge difference and gearing can go lower without stripping teeth on the belt.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Systems with a long belt that wraps around the top gear and has a tensioner are the only way to go for lowest friction due to looser belt and best gear to belt contact. These things make a huge difference and gearing can go lower without stripping teeth on the belt.

I can't verify as fact, because I haven't seen dyno sheets to support or refute, but I've heard conflicting information about that.
I've heard people in the industry state that any type of tensioner system robs horsepower.

I relate that to running a loose track. Dyno sheets have shown (I don't have any on hand) that there is a parasitic HP loss when tracks are run too loose. They need to be tightened to spec (1" of drop with 10 lbs of weight hanging on it) in order to be most efficient.

Premium Features