• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 screen issue

S
Feb 23, 2019
New here, just picked up a 2014 pro r. First trip out i noticed the speedometer was showing up to 40 over what i was going, sometimes showing 40 at idle. I did some reading and found out greasing the zirt by the sensor can mess it up. Someone must have recently, there was fresh grease.

I cleaned it out but now have the same issue still, combined with the screen switching between all the displays, like flashing back and forth while showing 40mph. The issue seems to only come up after giving it some throttle.

I hope its not a fried screen, its strange how its progressing like it is.

Any advise? Have long trip comeing up in a few weeks.

S
Feb 23, 2019
Might be voltage spike(s) due to a bad voltage regulator, and/or the rectifier allowing some dirty power through... or maybe a bad gauge.

We checked the battery volts from before start up and a bit at idle, steady climb from 12.5 to 14.4, seems to be charging ok. I did have to pull start one morning before riding on my trip, but doesnt seem to have a problem starting other than that. Not sure if that would measure the spikes though.

The switching displays hasnt happened our last few starts. But as soon as you give it some gas the speedo jumps all around.

Could it be a relay somewhere?

Premium Features