• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bent connecting rod, how hard to fix?

D
Oct 15, 2016
I have a 2003 Polaris Vertical Escape 800 that got hydro locked and bent a rod pretty bad. It ruined the piston and messed up the cylinder wall pretty good. I'm planning on fixing it myself so any input is appreciated!

There's used cylinder jug and piston on ebay, then I'll grab new rings, rod, seals, bearings, gaskets as well. I have the manual but only skimmed this section so far.

How hard is it to get the connecting rod off the crank?

What other parts/special tools might I need?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20161011_160900.jpg IMG_20161011_160526.jpg IMG_20161011_160522.jpg IMG_20161011_160436.jpg IMG_20161011_160508.jpg IMG_20161011_160444.jpg

Last edited:

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
you will be money and time ahead just to buy a complete new/rebuilt bottom end from a trusted source and exchange the pile of junk you have.

D
Oct 15, 2016
you will be money and time ahead just to buy a complete new/rebuilt bottom end from a trusted source and exchange the pile of junk you have.

So getting the connecting rods off the crankshaft is a no-go?
Ill be able to rip out the engine and remove the crankshaft easily enough.
So your saying buy a new crankshaft, piston and jug or an entirely new set of jugs pistons shaft and block?

I'm planning on fixing it so I can sell it.

Thanks, Dustin

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Find yourself a rebuilt crank. You won't be able to replace the rod on your own. If you get a crank with the wide bearing your case will need to be machined for extra oiling for the bearing.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Those sleds are not worth much in good running condition. I hope you got it for free? Its going to be tough making any money on it.
That rod is bent BAD. The crankshaft will need completely rebuilt, the case will need checked out too. Crank shafts are pressed together, with special holding fixtures in a shop press. its not a DIY project, it has to be done exactly right so the crank remains "in phase".
You might be money ahead just finding a complete used engine to swap it out with. Eric

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
You have a 1500-2000 dollar sled when it's running and in good shape! You will spend more then 1/2 that on getting it back to running condition. Part out the valuable stuff and toss the rest in the trash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

D
Oct 15, 2016
My family bought the sled a while back, then gave it to me after this incident as I'm good with fixing engines, so yes it was basically free at this point.
Knowing these sleds, it'll most likely happen again so I just want to fix it and get it gone. Too bad though because this thing was the most powerful sled I've ever ridden!

I can get a new crank from ebay shipped for around $400, new piston and jug for $300 and a new gasket/seal kit for $80 so I'd be all in for around $780 minus tools, fluids and anything else I might need. Do these cylinder jugs have cylinder sleeves that I could just replace, or just replace the jug as planned?

Also contemplating parting it out, but I could see myself sitting on these parts for a long time. Might be worth my while to fix it for the price and trade it for a Seadoo for the summer.

I'm located in BC, Canada.

Last edited:

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I have a complete and good shape 2004 800 spare engine (out of a proxr) I might part with if you want to go that route. In Lloydminster (alberta/sask border).

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

D
Oct 15, 2016
I have a complete and good shape 2004 800 spare engine (out of a proxr) I might part with if you want to go that route. In Lloydminster (alberta/sask border).

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the offer, but I just want to fix it for as little as possible so I can get rid of it, because there's no doubt in my mind that this will happen again.
I've priced all my parts out to $700 Canadian which is pretty good. They sell rebuilt crankshafts here for $500, used cylinder and piston for $200. Seems better than parting it out. I live by the lake so flipping it for a Seadoo would be my ideal route :)

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Why would it happen again? Do you regularly water skip and sink?

If you're referring to a crank failure in general, the best way to avoid recurring failure is a GOOD machinist line hone the case for proper bearing crush, run a true crankshaft, a maintained and balanced clutch (belt to sheave clearance included in maintenance), and then run good fuel.

For what it's worth, I have one of these sleds listed for sale at $1500, it's been listed for 2 months and the only offers I've had were $900, $1000, and one guy wanted me to drive 350 miles one way to give me $1200. They're just not worth much. I think I'll be lucky to get $1200 out of it.

A few years ago I parted my 04 RMK and made closer to $1800 and that crank was in two pieces.

Last edited:
D
Oct 15, 2016
Why would it happen again? Do you regularly water skip and sink?

If you're referring to a crank failure in general, the best way to avoid recurring failure is a GOOD machinist line hone the case for proper bearing crush, run a true crankshaft, a maintained and balanced clutch (belt to sheave clearance included in maintenance), and then run good fuel.

For what it's worth, I have one of these sleds listed for sale at $1500, it's been listed for 2 months and the only offers I've had were $900, $1000, and one guy wanted me to drive 350 miles one way to give me $1200. They're just not worth much. I think I'll be lucky to get $1200 out of it.

A few years ago I parted my 04 RMK and made closer to $1800 and that crank was in two pieces.

I just figured crank failure was inevitable with these models, there's ways to prolong it, but it could cost more than the sleds worth.
I'll definitely get the clutch balanced, but the mechanist adds $$$.
The only reason I don't want to part it out it because its taking up space and I don't want to be sitting on parts.
I'd rather fix it for cheap, take it up the mountain and get my moneys worth in fun, sell it and be done with it. If it doesn't sell, at least I can still use it.
I now have the crankshaft out and have a few options on rebuilt ones. Should have her fixed in no time!

Premium Features