• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

lowering bike

Y
Nov 26, 2007
rode a lowered sx kit on a wr today and gotta say like the low ride, turning and handling on the trial was awesome. Did not get into deep so cant comment there.

I have a wr with a st kit and an extra rod from a yz fit kit, think about cutting it down at least an inch. Any one tried lowering their kit and if so how did it work???

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
short rod

Dan and I are riding sno bikes with adjustable struts. When you ad or subtract 1/4" of adjustment you will influence handling good and bad.

Playing with adjustment to the extremes to note how the handling changes:

when you shorten the rod: the front of the track frame drops, back of the track comes up off the snow or at least has very little pressure, too much pressure on the front of the track and bike won't go through the snow, won't want to climb if you have any loose snow , track doesn't want to climb on top of the snow and float. to some degree though on just good snowy some loose sled trail, handling is better, less pressure on back of track and bike doesn't give you as much side to side tilt and hunt as the track rolls over sled tracks and ruts.

when you lengthen the strut to the extreme: ski pressure gets excessive and makes poor trail handling and slow handling, ski tends to plunge in all deep snow and won't climb on top of snow, track in the snow tends to be dug up as track is spinning , so you go back and walk your track and no nice track foot print.

3/4" either way from ideal strut length ride length really screws up bike performance.

3/16 " difference in strut length really can make a big leap in performance in the deep snow.

anyway, that's what I have found in the mtns of Montana.

Y
Nov 26, 2007
i have the yz rod on the bench which is over and nch shorter, by your post this would be too much. Will try to find some time to throw it on and see what i does.

W
Mar 13, 2013
Kirkland
Have you tried raising the forks in the triple clamps 1/4 - 3/8"? Like on a dirt bike, it can have big impact on feel. I don't see how you could effectively lower your bike by playing with strut rod without messing up the track angle. And if you raise your forks much, you'd need to lengthen the strut to push the track back down to level. Others on this forum know more than me.
Not that you want a new kit, but rumor has it the '15 kits sit an inch lower. Anyone who's thrown a leg over these bikes while standing in pow knows why lower is nice.
Also…if you don't already have a set of wide adventure pegs, or similar, I highly recommend. Run them in the lower position by flipping the bushing over.

M
Jan 15, 2013
Don't change the rod

Timbersled said not to change the rod, but put a spacer on top of the rear suspension arm. That will raise the back of the track and take ski pressure off and will handle better. first year kits had no spacer and now the kits come with a spacer on top.And the new kits are lower and handle better can" believe how this sport keeps getting better every year! lots of change for 15

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
If you shorten the rod you will need to also shorten the front limiter strap to maintain proper angle of the skid.

If you do both in appropriate amounts it works well and reduces the ride hight as well as improves overall handling.

You can not do one without the other -- a adjustable shock rod is a must 1/4 inch makes a huge difference.

Y
Nov 26, 2007
pmuncher, i agree I had bike on a centre jack with strut removed and while lowering 1/4 it was a huge difference. Gong to order an adjustable strut. e-mail TS and they agree adjust both

Premium Features