• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

carls 910 seems thermostate??

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
From what i have found they offered a 55cc and a 50cc.

I spoke with jack at carls and he said they were 12:1 and 13:1 compression for those heads, not the 14.5/15.5 that seems to be floating around.

I run the 50cc heads, or hope to if my pipes ever show up.

I said my heads were 15.5 and 14 respectively. I never said they were stock as offered by carls.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Oh Ic, I didn't realize you aren't running Carl heads. I am just trying to keep the info clear for the next person looking, not alot of info to be found for these motors on the net.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Oh Ic, I didn't realize you aren't running Carl heads. I am just trying to keep the info clear for the next person looking, not alot of info to be found for these motors on the net.

Im running carls domes but the set thats in the sled is cut to make the compression 15.5/1. I have the 15.5 domes 14/1 domes 50cc and 55cc domes now.

To my knowledge carls offered 47cc 50cc and 55cc domes for this engine but made several other varying compression level domes for this engine back in its time.

You right there is not a lot of info. Mine only runs the way it does because I patched together the little bit of info I actually got from Carls, the info I got from a couple people here and made some educated guesses as to how this sled should be tuned. I got ballbark this year for flatland and right on the money for elevation.

What I know based I how my engine runs is it likes 8300-8350 RPM's. The previous owner told me 8200 but I put an actual know calibrated tach on it and it wasnt clutched to hit 8200 anyway.

This engine seems to be more based on torque than over all HP. It makes good HP but the torque is what is the most impressive part about it. I can litterally fully let off the throttle going up a climb, stab it again and tractor right on up.

I can climb things now with zero run that I had to get a sizeable run at before, makes riding in the trees really fun. Another thing about this engine is that it loves fresh air. The more you can get to it the better. I think I will be going to a mesh hood to ensure that I dont heat soak. When riding in the tight trees a couple of times with the hood on my pipes heat soaked and it took a while for the sled to come back.

I forgot to mention I run the XCR style remote thermostat with scratchers, highest i;ve had my temps get is 135.

Last edited:

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Some good info there. So far with my 910 being low on compression it will only pull the similar setup as my 800, it has more torque though.

Next year i will put in a fresh top end and see how it goes.

I will also be adding as much fresh air as possible.

With just a restrictor in mine it will run 80-100 in the snow, i have seen up to 140 on trail with minimal snow and warm ambient, no scratchers.

P
Dec 5, 2010
the last time i went out riding in NY temps(40ish) it would walk up to aboug 155 and dance up to 160, then back down once i got in to some snow. I put my foot down and could watch the temp drop right back to 125ish.

I love the toruqe this motor makes, I was going to keep it as a trail sled, but i have the 50cc heads on order,. I ran the sled in some hill drags held in my area, and i did very well in the 925 class.

I am now looking for an Swtchback chasise to drop this in, i found an RMK chassis but im not sure on the weight savings i'll have vs. an switchback..??

Last time i rode too i dropped my jetting down too 560(was warm out) and the sled ran great al day long. With everything i have done to the motor as it sits, it's a great trail sled now, almost pull an go other than jetting for air temp.

ANy of you guys use tampa or dial-a-jets on these? Would make my life here in NY better for trail riding. Though i do have to make my mind up race or trail soo hard lol..... Maybe i'll have to find another one of these motors! He He.

Almost forgot... while doing my timing it was iffy as i mentioned before jumped a lot. One of my rides i got the det light again that i have not had in a long time(may have been due to fuel octane was bit low) i dropped my timing 1° and it hasn't popped back up as i said...though i should share.

Last edited:

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I run an atacc on mine although I haven't got it dialed in yet. The previous owner ran the older version (variflow) on it.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
I dont run tempaflow or veriflow. Im considering running bored carbs here soon. Maybe lectrons. See if we cant make some more power here. :face-icon-small-hap

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Mine has bored carbs, 40mm. Or are you talking bigger yet?

With this motor amf bored 40s keep an eye on the car slide on the air box side the corners like to break off .it does not happen to all of them but I have seen it more than once. Also if the skirt has been broke off the cylinder ( real common for this motor) it may never hold up ever again how you tell is there will be a number on the back side base of the cylinder call millennium and ask the history of it. Just some things to watch for

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
What mixture of av or race gas are you running?

Lean in and of itself won't cause detonation although richening can mask detonation (Yeah, that sounds weird). I've seen DET sensors pick up things like exhaust springs vibrating and such.

Easy test is to up your av gas mixture and see if the DET goes away. If it doesn't then you can start looking at things like exhaust springs and such that might be setting off the DET (just squirt a line of silicon on them to stop their vibration).

sled_guy

Thats because they really only read vibration (engine knock). Many things can contribute to false readings.

Premium Features