• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ride prepared, others depend on it

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
If you are doing things that are going to require your buddies gear, you should stop doing them and reconsider what you are doing...

It is your responsibility to stay safe, your responsibility to make good decisions.

I think the whole premise of your thread needs to be re-thought. If you do something stupid, no matter when or where, it isn't anybody's responsibility to save you. Own your own.

This is a HUGE part of the problem, the got your back bro syndrome. That plus a pack full of gear you convinced yourself you could save the world with crates a situation where people take stupid chances, and often win stupid prizes. This notion that somehow you are going to beat mother nature at the avy game is ludicrous. It is the attitude that will get you killed in the backcountry.

If my buddy dies doing something stupid, that is exactly what I would tell his widow. It is not my responsibility to try and save you from yourself. Use your head.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
If you are doing things that are going to require your buddies gear, you should stop doing them and reconsider what you are doing...

It is your responsibility to stay safe, your responsibility to make good decisions.

I think the whole premise of your thread needs to be re-thought. If you do something stupid, no matter when or where, it isn't anybody's responsibility to save you. Own your own.

This is a HUGE part of the problem, the got your back bro syndrome. That plus a pack full of gear you convinced yourself you could save the world with crates a situation where people take stupid chances, and often win stupid prizes. This notion that somehow you are going to beat mother nature at the avy game is ludicrous. It is the attitude that will get you killed in the backcountry.

If my buddy dies doing something stupid, that is exactly what I would tell his widow. It is not my responsibility to try and save you from yourself. Use your head.

I get what your saying in regards to I got your back bro, but what about those slides that are caused by others not associated with you while your minding your own business going down a trail? Yes a young man from SW Wyoming was a victim of an avalanche while going down the trail while others where playing in the ridge above him that weren’t associated with his group.

I hope you realize that slides do happen in the trees also. Not sure where you are from or what your riding style is, but I’m not really sure how one can live with themselves if you actually say, “sorry widow, It’s not my problem I can afford a truck, trailer, sled, gear, but I decided not to get safety gear to assist myself and my buddies.” Then again we are all different individuals!

I myself have the AVY gear and try to practice, but after getting married 3.5 years ago, I avoid the steep open hills, except for 1 specific hill, but conditions have to be tits! I have a wife I want to go see. I have been that individual before that went to help search for a buried victim, but we went the wrong way and was unable to help do a beacon search.

I personally know the rider that had the stuff in this video. Mother Nature has her way with humans anywhere, not just the steep and deep! BIG10inch, what would you do cause you don’t have anyone’s back!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kBfBSwuG8Ls

Last edited:
Premium Features