• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

15 pro replacing half of the bulkhead???

J

jerrydecoy

May 12, 2011
coeurd'Alene, id
I know the bent tunnel at the footwell topic has been talked about a lot and that's all I was planning on fixing but upon further inspection over the weekend I realized the mag side of the bulkhead is shoved back about a half an inch. I've heard rumor that half the bulkhead can be replaced without removing the motor???
I unbolted the over structure off that side of the bulkhead and as soon as it came loose you could see the problem. There was a pile of tension on it and the over structure bar moved forward a half an inch. It appears the port side is not damaged. My original plan was v.e's overlay kit and their full length bumper/tunnel brace but it appears there will be a few more parts involved. The quick drive belt was rubbing on the brake disc so I knew there was an alignment problem. It all came from a hit to the right upper a-arm that buckled the tunnel at the footwell.
I'm really not much money at all into this sled as it was damaged when I bought it so I don't mind dumping some into it. I'll see if I can get some pics posted. I would rather not remove the motor if I don't have to so I thought maybe someone else has had a similar project.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Prior Lake, MN
Last year I bought a rental that was all buckeled up in the footwell area and brought it back to life. No sure where exactly yours is bent but once I removed everything including the stock braces the aluminum is super thin and I was able straighten it all out.

I still had some wrinkles and cracks but I then used VE's set of replacment braces. I stop drilled the cracks I had and then when I put the braces on I buffed off the powder coat on the back and added a bit of the structural adhesive to it. Then used a bunch of the larger style vise grip clamps to make sure it bonded well.

The bulkhead pieces are available to be purchased bbut I have done a few of these sleds now and mainly it is the tunnel bending not the bulkhead. The bulkheads I have seen messed up are usually broken and cracked and not just bent.

PM Me if you need more help, I have braced up 4 pros now.

J

jerrydecoy

May 12, 2011
coeurd'Alene, id
I wish it was just the tunnel but I'm pretty sure the bulkhead is twisted. The upper silencer mount was broke and I pulled the one off my 14' and it won't line up with the holes which I'm taking as the bulkhead is moved back. The lower silencer mount is bent outwards. The quick drive backing plate that glues to the tunnel is bent in and back

J

jerrydecoy

May 12, 2011
coeurd'Alene, id
The first pic is where the over structure bolts to the bulkhead. I'm not sure why I can only load one pic at a time and they end up sideways? Sorry...

J

jerrydecoy

May 12, 2011
coeurd'Alene, id
I can't get a very good pic and it'll end up sideways anyway! Lol... But the cross tube that runs up front between the bulkhead appears to be bent back on the mag side. So between that and the silencer mounts basically being too long that makes me think the bulkhead got pushed back on that side. The side panel on the pto side fits fine but is way off on the mag side. Maybe there is a crack/break in the bulkhead I'm not seeing yet

J

jerrydecoy

May 12, 2011
coeurd'Alene, id
Sooo... After further inspection I'm just gonna replace both sides of the bulkhead. Somehow it's twisted! Can't seem to find any cracks yet but maybe I'll come across one as I tear it down. Glad I threw the zbroz 36" arms on it a couple weeks ago!!! Guess I need the practice removing them. I'm going with ve's brace kit and their bumper/tunnel brace combo. Hopefully it'll strengthen things up a bit. On the bright side I got the tunnel straightened this evening. I decided not to go the hammer route after it just seemed to bounce and do nothing. I put some braces on both sides of the tunnel and strategically placed large c-clamps in different locations and started cranking. I had to relocate the clamps frequently but considering how bad it was buckled it came out pretty easy

Anyone have any ideas how much glue I need to purchase???

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Sooo... After further inspection I'm just gonna replace both sides of the bulkhead. Somehow it's twisted! Can't seem to find any cracks yet but maybe I'll come across one as I tear it down. Glad I threw the zbroz 36" arms on it a couple weeks ago!!! Guess I need the practice removing them. I'm going with ve's brace kit and their bumper/tunnel brace combo. Hopefully it'll strengthen things up a bit. On the bright side I got the tunnel straightened this evening. I decided not to go the hammer route after it just seemed to bounce and do nothing. I put some braces on both sides of the tunnel and strategically placed large c-clamps in different locations and started cranking. I had to relocate the clamps frequently but considering how bad it was buckled it came out pretty easy

Anyone have any ideas how much glue I need to purchase???

I did a full bulkhead and I used the smallest tube available.
Still have half.

Premium Features