• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

my impulse replica kit

J

johnny be bad

Nov 26, 2007
in the getto
this is an intersting point and i could be wrong but thats how i remember it as well.

Powderlites dave i have a question for you, and i'm just playing the devils advocate here but how did you make the cpr header i bought from you without having one in your hands to jig up? Lucky guess on the angles and fit? It's not your design it's jeff simons so is that copying? It's right there on your website and you make money from someone elses design. My point is here is that no one in the turbo business should be pointing any fingers because in the end there really is a only finite number of ways to skin the cat, front mount, rear mount, mid mount and side mount, the difference is in the little details, thats what you pay for and the service and i too believe turbo kits are going to come down in price.

Jmo

m5
ok boys. In daves defence. He's been around turbo's for years. He predates any four stroke turbo. Back to the days of v maxes with turbo's. You cant blame anyone for trying to save a buck, heck i do as much as possible to. Where all not rich and can afford 30g turbo sleds. But, if it wasnt for ppl like dave or mcx. Who put there blood sweat and tears into designing these kits, we'd all be riding stockers. So who copied who? Who knows! Just show a little respect to these guys, for with out them. Hell. Who knows what we'd be riding.

sledhead162

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
ok boys. In daves defence. He's been around turbo's for years. He predates any four stroke turbo. Back to the days of v maxes with turbo's. You cant blame anyone for trying to save a buck, heck i do as much as possible to. Where all not rich and can afford 30g turbo sleds. But, if it wasnt for ppl like dave or mcx. Who put there blood sweat and tears into designing these kits, we'd all be riding stockers. So who copied who? Who knows! Just show a little respect to these guys, for with out them. Hell. Who knows what we'd be riding.

Very well put, I guess I should of just put my home made turbo kit because there are many things different about my kit then an impulse little things but really every piece of my kit Is different. sledhead162:beer;

M
Jan 14, 2004

First off if you know Dave at all he isn't the type of guy to back away from a challenge so I'm pretty sure he'll have a laugh when he reads this and comes up with a reply. I think you might have misunderstood my point here. I'm by no means dissing Dave here I've dealt with him for years now and he's always been the "Go To Guy" for me. My point is that everybody uses everybody elses ideas and designs in some way or another whether it be a direct copy (ie a CPR replacement header which WAS needed in the marketplace) or a concept, I don't think any one of the builders can take credit for all the good ideas and concepts related to turbos. Individually they've each had some great ideas and the best ones seem to morph into every kit on the market.

M5

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
Zebiraross, relax! Don't you have anything better to do than to be pissed at Sleadhead162 because you spent all the money you did on your Impulse turbo? Just like I said before..........usually the guys that are jealous or spent to much bark the loudest. You're starting to make a complete fool of yourself...........

Aaron

I'm not pissed at anyone. And, what I'm saying has nothing to do with how much money I've spent. If someone wants to save money that's fine. BUT if your going to copy a kit and ask what people think of that kit do you think it is safe to say they are going to get flamed? Do you think everyone is going to pat them on the back? Sledhead162 asked what we thought of this kit. I stated my opinion. Telling me I'm making a fool of myself because my opinion doesn't match what you think makes you look like a fool. Sledhead162 and several other people on this thread have "barked" as loud as I have on this thread. Do you think they are fools too? I've already cearly stated valid points of what I think and none of them have anything to do with how much money I've spent.
And just for the record the last two days I've got on here I was not going to say anything. But someone had a direct comment to me and I'm going to respond to those comments just like anyone else would. Besides, there is no snow and I will admit I am a little bored.

Last edited:

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
I'm not pissed at anyone. And, what I'm saying has nothing to do with how much money I've spent. If someone wants to save money that's fine. BUT if your going to copy a kit and ask what people think of that kit do you think it is safe to say they are going to get flamed? Do you think everyone is going to pat them on the back? Sledhead162 asked what we thought of this kit. I stated my opinion. Telling me I'm making a fool of myself because my opinion doesn't match what you think makes you look like a fool. Sledhead162 and several other people on this thread have "barked" as loud as I have on this thread. Do you think they are fools too? I've already cearly stated valid points of what I think and none of them have anything to do with how much money I've spent.
And just for the record the last two days I've got on here I was not going to say anything. But someone had a direct comment to me and I'm going to respond to those comments just like anyone else would. Besides, there is no snow and I will admit I am a little bored.

Fair enough.............

Aaron

Y

Yamahamod

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jun 8, 2008
In my Bunker
www.facebook.com
Why don't we just call Paul to the forms to have him post on this. Good lord!

I say build your replica. Save some cash. :beer;

Pauls not the only one that has put 2 and 2 together on putting a trubo closer to the motor and that would create less to no turbo lag.

J
Dec 15, 2007
Troy, MT
I think if somone wants to build there own. Go for It! The great thing about the So called expensive kits for sale is all the R n D that has gone into them. (Pssssss~ thats where the money comes into play) :confused:

I know a guy that has built his own kit and swaped it around to several spots finding the best point of location for the Turbo and loved every miniute of it. But thats him. I could never do anything like that so I have to go with a Bigger name and gladly pay for alittle of there Head scratch'in!

This was a Good Sunday read Tho! Thanks and see ya on the Snow. JOP:D

skibumm

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2004
Utah
Zebiraross, relax! Don't you have anything better to do than to be pissed at Sleadhead162 because you spent all the money you did on your Impulse turbo? Just like I said before..........usually the guys that are jealous or spent to much bark the loudest. You're starting to make a complete fool of yourself...........

Aaron

I don't think Zeb is making a fool out of himself at all and I know he isn't jealous of the money he spent on the Impulse kit. Like me, he probably feels like it is some of the best money he has ever spent! Someone wants to "copycat" then I guess they have that right, but, to call Paul and waste his time under false pretenses is a bunch of crap. Last time I checked, lying to anyone for any reason was a bad thing. The guy asked for opinions and that is what he is getting, so why jump on Zeb's case for giving the guy what he asked for? As far as Paul's kit being overpriced: I've owned four different turbo systems and all I can say is you get what you pay for and I believe Paul's kit has more bang for the buck than any other kit I've tried. Additionally, Paul's customer service is unmatched by anyone in the industry IMO. I guess that is why one might take offense to what appears to be someone taking advantage of a decent person like Paul. There, now you have my opinion too!

Charter Member of the Impulse Cult;)

Y

Yamahamod

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jun 8, 2008
In my Bunker
www.facebook.com
^^^^^^Month and a half before snow fly's I'm willing to bet that Paul has better things to do than comment on this thread.

Yup, or care about some guy that builds his own turbo kit that has the same similarities.

Anyway just let us know how your homemade kit runs. I can't wait to get your feedback. Your kit looks good so far. Good work!

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Interesting to see all the responses to something that hasn't even run yet!!! Just because it looks very similar to a well running kit doesn't mean it will run the same. Does anyone on here remember the original Alpine kit? They cloned the MCX kit like I mentioned in a post above. The first kits they sent out didn't even run properly. Obviously there was more to it than just making it look the same. They finally figured out why but had a bunch of unhappy customers for awhile. That being said I'm sure Sledhead162 will figure things out. The fuel injected engines are easier to boost than the carbed ones.

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
You can sure tell we are all getting anxious, with not enough snow yet to go.
This is the biggest thread we have had in 6 months.
I know that I am tired of reading this thread!
I just want to RIDE. Our mountains are getting hit for the next 3 days:) So hopefully soon!
Cheers:beer;

W
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, Nevada
Like me, he probably feels like it is some of the best money he has ever spent! Someone wants to "copycat" then I guess they have that right, but, to call Paul and waste his time under false pretenses is a bunch of crap. There, now you have my opinion too!

Charter Member of the Impulse Cult;)

Well Put!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T
Nov 27, 2007
Grande Prairie,AB
I can attest to Paul's customer service, my buddy called him 24 hours aday during his build and Paul was there 100 % of the time. Now that is service next to none!!! Sorry to keep this short I have to go do a snow dance. Someone has to make things happen or we'll never get to ride.

S

SPOOLED

Dec 4, 2007
northern bc
yamaha has a new updated one with a doubler plate under the bottom outlet where the earlier ones crack. i think some dealers are covering it under warranty.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
yamaha has a new updated one with a doubler plate under the bottom outlet where the earlier ones crack. i think some dealers are covering it under warranty.

You wouldn't happen to know the part number for that would you?

S

SPOOLED

Dec 4, 2007
northern bc
double check with someone, but i am sure its 8GL-21751-01-00 and the old one is 8GL-21751-00-00 but i am not 100 % on that.

Premium Features