• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro powderlites DIES WHEN HOT

T
Nov 28, 2007
Well with my powderlites Nytro I havent had any problems at all here at 1500 feet. I just came back from a ride in Fernie on the weekend. The first day there was no issues other then a part throttle burble but on the second day ( this time I used an ethonal fuel and race gas) at 13 pounds boost the sled would not start when shut off. Gauge was showing no fuel pressure. When left to cool it would show fuel pressure then start. The next day after pulling the screens out of the side vent holes I had no problems . It is a definite heat issue.

W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
Well with my powderlites Nytro I havent had any problems at all here at 1500 feet. I just came back from a ride in Fernie on the weekend. The first day there was no issues other then a part throttle burble but on the second day ( this time I used an ethonal fuel and race gas) at 13 pounds boost the sled would not start when shut off. Gauge was showing no fuel pressure. When left to cool it would show fuel pressure then start. The next day after pulling the screens out of the side vent holes I had no problems . It is a definite heat issue.

Is your fuel regulator mounted above/infront of the radiator like the instruvtions tell you to do?

U

Ultralord

Nov 26, 2007
Auburn WA
I know from being in the car repair buisness that MSD stuff has never been that good I replaced 2 msd Pumps on my Apex I think the best way would be to spec out a intank pump and that would slove the problem.
Just need the suppliers to build a pump and hangar. But that would be expensive and hard to justify because of model changes and low sales volume to pay for the r&D

P

powderlites

Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous, BC Canada
www.powderlites.com
Boiling fuel

After this weekend we have had a few guys run the hose from tank around the side of tank into fuel pump and guys said sled run good all weekend.
If fuel hoses are installed against cooling hoses it will boil gas and pump will not pump because hoses are heated by cooling hoses.

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership
After this weekend we have had a few guys run the hose from tank around the side of tank into fuel pump and guys said sled run good all weekend.
If fuel hoses are installed against cooling hoses it will boil gas and pump will not pump because hoses are heated by cooling hoses.

how are they running them? im trying to picture how to do this with the trail tank without the hose hanging out on the side of the tank?

T
Nov 28, 2007
My fuel line running up the tank does not even come close to the coolant lines coming from the turbo the way I have them routed, but maybe I will try to insulate the hose since it is running close to the motor. Might be easier on the pump not having to pull up the tank like that though. The problem I believe is having the regulator and line sitting in front of the rad. Having underhood temps a touch cooler must make a diff cause driving at low elevation and moving more air through the cowling here in the flatlands I have had 0 trouble with fuel boil or the stumble people have talked about on here.
I know if I go back to the mountains and it stumbles like that again I'll be making some drastic changes.

W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
The problem I believe is having the regulator and line sitting in front of the rad.

I agree 100%, this is why I was asking where their fuel regulator were, this could be the main cause to you guys having the fuel so hot and the seeing 0 fuel pressure/fuel vaporizing in the regulator at times. When riding around the flat lands there is alot more air moving past the regulator than in the mountains.

I saw Jrusher did not have his regulator infront of the rad and he has had no problems with the fuel boiling/regulator not working.

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership
I agree 100%, this is why I was asking where their fuel regulator were, this could be the main cause to you guys having the fuel so hot and the seeing 0 fuel pressure/fuel vaporizing in the regulator at times. When riding around the flat lands there is alot more air moving past the regulator than in the mountains.

I saw Jrusher did not have his regulator infront of the rad and he has had no problems with the fuel boiling/regulator not working.

mine is mounted right where the kit says(in front of the rad) and i have had zero issues other than the hesitation when on and off the throttle. no hard start issues in the mountains with lots of stop/starts and even riding one day when it was raining so it was pretty warm out.

T
Nov 28, 2007
The not starting actually only happened one day. The next day I took my screens out and didn't have trouble after that. That hesitation in Fernie almost made me drive it off the mountain though. I also think between my flatland gearing and the supertips with flatland clutching and increased boost didn't help it much even after I emptied out weight.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
anybody have any info on something to wrap the hoses?

I bought some heat sheild hose wrap in comes in different diameters 3/8, 1/2 " etc from a local auto performance shop.. Worked good around the turbo and high heat or abbrasive areas..

H

Hrt Offroad

Nov 3, 2008
Okotoks, Alberta Canada
Like I mentioned before - I plumbed my whole fuel system with stainless braided hose and AN fittings, which should have a similar affect if not better than the hose heat shield. I haven't had a chance to get out yet, but I'm headed to Blue River on Wednesday...so I'll keep y'all posted as to the results:D

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
The regulators on the MCX are between the radiator and tank, so tend to keep hot. Never had a problem other than a bad pump, kinked lines from guys moving stuff and plugged filters. Seems most of these kits ran great for a while, now problems. I still think the first check needs to be the filter/suction side lines.

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
Issue is resolved,,,,,,,,,BUT>>>

Two days of hard runnin, no dying issues, except at the end of a hard pull and just dumping all the throttle,,,WTF.

Anyway, the only reason I haven't had any problems is LOTS OF RACE FUEL!
Last ride I had 5 gallons of 110 and 2 gallons of 91. Again at 8000 ft. or so on a nice warm day with lots of tight boonin with lots of throttle = sled got good and hot.

I wired the fan to run whenever the engine is running, I also sleeved the fuel line with a reflective wire loom like covering, may help, also I have been taking the hood off.

While the hood was off and the fan was running I would feel around up by the radiator to see exactly where the fan wants to push most of this heat out. The spots where most of the heat was coming out were off to each side in between the frame bracket and the radiator bracket.
Bad pic, but here. On each side.
IMG_1445_640x480-1.jpg

So I'm thinkin some venting here would really help get all that heat out.

Nytro1-1.jpg

I'm sure one of the vent makers would make some, perhaps BR Tech?

Like I said, I really don't want to run that much race fuel, that's the whole reason behind the head shim. So my solution will get ya by, but it doesn't really solve the problem.

Keep workin fellas, we'll get er fixed up...

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
You could probably get away with drilling a few holes to let the heat escape, would look OK. Saw a white hood on a post with lots of holes in that area to allow heat out/air in. I think it was an impulse or Alpine setup as they have their turbos up front. They have a lot more heat under the hood but don't seem to have problems.

U

Ultralord

Nov 26, 2007
Auburn WA
well it looks like a old drill and 5 minutes ant 3 1/2 holes has fixed the issue 4 tanks of fuel later VP-c12 and I have had zero issues exept sore face :D:D:D love my Powderlites boostofun :beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
Here ya go!

Works better than I thought it would. Only thing I could find to really fit there and let a bunch of heat out.

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

4" universal round vent, XXXmodrods

Premium Features