• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tuning Questions

P
Dec 1, 2008
Hey guys, another few quick questions here.

When I'm looking for the peak RPM's on my sled, can I just jack it up, warm it up and put a protector at the rear of the sled (Should studs fly or the track burst), reach WOT and read my peak RPM's that way? Like it's been said, I need to know my peak RPM's now so I can get close to them after the clutching components, and I don't really want to have to wait until the snow gets down to start this.

Also, where, or how can I, get my tach calibrated? Apparently they're off by a little bit from factory, which could shag up my efforts as well.

Thanks!

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
Don't just run it on a track stand. This is a good way to warm up your sled and track, but when you read clutching it is only accurate when you put a regular load on it. With no resistance on it, you will not get an accurate reading of what your clutching is designed to do.

Even though its hard, you are better off waiting for snow and see how your current setup works. Regardless of current though, there will be a lot of tuning with different weights and springs till you find the setup that works for you but still hits that 8100 or so on the sled.

P
Dec 1, 2008
I figured...thought I'd ask all the same though :)

You really think I'm going to have a lot of work ahead of me in terms of trying to get close to my current peak RPM? It was reccomended to me by Pockets over on HCS, and he's said to know his stuff. Also, I've seen some other 600's running a similar setup with good results as well.

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
Depends on the kit you get. Some of them are pretty cut and dry, and you will be really close to the setup you want right away. You may be within 200+/- or may be way off, every sled is different. Depends a lot on the setup of everything else you have. Only way to test it is to install it and then adjust from there if it isn't spot on.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
it is common for a sled to not pull full rpm on the track stand because there is not resistance, so something to take into consideration, its nice to try and tune it, but aint gonna work, go test it on some grass, should get ya pretty close.

P
Dec 1, 2008
Well, like I said, it's not a manufactured Clutch Kit, it's one I peiced together from the help of Pockets and a few others on HCS. I figured this weekend I'll test it on an open empty field that's clear of obstructions, get the peak RPM and work from there. If it's within 200 RPM of what I get from this weekend, that should be fine right? Like it doesn't have to be exactly on does it?

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
I wouldn't worry about what your sled is running now to tell ya the truth,

Currently tuning on mine, I'm shooting for 8100 on my setup. Add weight to bring it down, take weight off to increase it. figure out what you want clutch engagement and use your spring to set that. Waiting sucks, I bought my kit right after the snow melted and didnt get a chance to tune till two weeks ago on our first snow.

If you need more help once you install just shoot me a PM.

Premium Features