• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First Ride: Ski-Doo 2018 FreeRide 850

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Not ready to pass any judgements just yet other than I have been HAPPILY SURPRISED at just how nice an "Upgraded Summit" could be when properly equipped with a great suspension pack.

This weekend I will spend a few days in Cooke and God Willing, if there is some good snow have some REAL comments to offer!

snow.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
What is your suspension on your 17's?

Ace
had 2 Summit SPs and 1 Summit X last year.

This year have 1 Summit SP and one FreeRide.

Honestly not sure why they don't offer the Summit X with the full shock package on the FreeRide, Seems like the most logical combination.

I only have TWO HOURS on this sled so far and that is why I really can't comment on how it rides just yet.

What little time I have on it, I have been well pleased with, but 2 hours just isn't enough time to make any serious judgements.

Everyone that is going to Cooke with us on the SnoWest Ride this weekend will have a chance to take her out for a spin.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Honestly not sure why they don't offer the Summit X with the full shock package on the FreeRide, Seems like the most logical combination.

Cost is the only reason and that is coming strait from Doo reps numerous times. That is an approx $3200 shock package and for most people it's way overkill for their riding. That is also part of the reason you are seeing Ski-Doo getting the Fox Shocks now to have some better options.

But I have heard it many times over that you will never see that shock upgrade for the summits because of the cost and it also leaves something special for the Freeride.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Cost is the only reason and that is coming strait from Doo reps numerous times. That is an approx $3200 shock package and for most people it's way overkill for their riding. That is also part of the reason you are seeing Ski-Doo getting the Fox Shocks now to have some better options.

But I have heard it many times over that you will never see that shock upgrade for the summits because of the cost and it also leaves something special for the Freeride.

I suppose it COULD be just that simple then.
But in this age of CUSTOM ORDERED OEM Sleds, you would think, what the heck, offer it as a Tick Box on the order form and let the guys that want it have it.

But as for me, I am REALLY looking forward to putting some hours on this bad boy this weekend at long last!

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I suppose it COULD be just that simple then.
But in this age of CUSTOM ORDERED OEM Sleds, you would think, what the heck, offer it as a Tick Box on the order form and let the guys that want it have it.

But as for me, I am REALLY looking forward to putting some hours on this bad boy this weekend at long last!

It would be interesting to see Doo step up their Snowcheck program a bit like Polaris has when it comes to custom stuff.

Also on those shocks after you have some seat time on the sled and it's fully broke in. Pull the shocks and find a good shock guy and have them revalved for your weight and riding style. They really get nice then.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Doo needs to step it up in the shock department. I paid (at my discount) for my 175 the same as I could get a Mountain Cat for retail that comes with top of the line Foxes. Makes no sense. My Freeride feels pretty good so far, but not a lot of time on it.
Thinking seriously about buying a boat...........;)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

Also on those shocks after you have some seat time on the sled and it's fully broke in. Pull the shocks and find a good shock guy and have them revalved for your weight and riding style. They really get nice then.

You really think that would be necessary with such highly adjustable shocks??

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Multi setting shocks can reward or punish you...

Thats a sweet sled Christopher!

Thanks for keeping us in the loop... and look forward to your usual photo journal of your experience.

The Kayaba shocks on the Freeride are a top-shelf package.

I don't know if you are an experienced shock tuner or not... but here is my take FWIW.

I've talked in person with shock engineers from Fox, Raptor, ZBroz, Ohlins, Walker Evans, King, KYB, Elka etc.... All agreed that multi adjustable shocks can be as much of a curse as blessing.... all depends on the approach you have.

Your KYB's have 4 adjustments: spring preload, High speed compression, Low speed compression, and Rebound (which also really effects the low speed compression setting at the same time as the rebound).

One of the big things with such an adjustable shock... Is that finding your 'sweet spot' is a small target... it is more likely you'll find a less than ideal setting than the ideal one if you don't take the time to understand how the shocks work and what the adjustments do... takes some reading and time on the hill and trail to set it up... and to intuitively understand HOW the adjustments affect each other and the ride of the sled.

Often with this number of adjustments... it takes dialing everything back to 'center' and starting over again when things get 'out of whack'.

Also, variations in shock tolerance, nitrogen pressure, temps etc can make it so there is no real 'ideal setup' for one riders sled to another.

If you are new to suspension setup, this equates to hours not minutes, and also riding partners that have the patience to let you 'tinker' on your ride.

Also worth noting , 'Low' and 'high' speed do not refer to the speed you are travelling... It refers to incident of shaft-velocity.

Super adjustable shocks like the Kayaba 36 & 40 Pro-R and Pro models can be a mixed blessing for the uninitiated.

I mean this in a helpful way.... and you are rewarded with understanding, intuitively understanding, those shocks.

IMO.

Last edited:

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
You really think that would be necessary with such highly adjustable shocks??

100%, your shocks don't adjust for weight. Also there is a good chance that those freeride shocks are set up for a guys who is launching that sled air born a bit more then you (I'm guessing). So if you go in and have them set-up for your riding style you are going to get even more "usable" range on them.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thats a sweet sled Christopher!

Thanks for keeping us in the loop... and look forward to your usual photo journal of your experience.

The Kayaba shocks on the Freeride are a top-shelf package.

I don't know if you are an experienced shock tuner or not... but here is my take FWIW.

I've talked in person with shock engineers from Fox, Raptor, ZBroz, Ohlins, Walker Evans, King, KYB, Elka etc.... All agreed that multi adjustable shocks can be as much of a curse as blessing.... all depends on the approach you have.

Your KYB's have 4 adjustments: spring preload, High speed compression, Low speed compression, and Rebound (which also really effects the low speed compression setting at the same time as the rebound).

One of the big things with such an adjustable shock... Is that finding your 'sweet spot' is a small target... it is more likely you'll find a less than ideal setting than the ideal one if you don't take the time to understand how the shocks work and what the adjustments do... takes some reading and time on the hill and trail to set it up... and to intuitively understand HOW the adjustments affect each other and the ride of the sled.

Often with this number of adjustments... it takes dialing everything back to 'center' and starting over again. Also, variations in shock tolerance, nitrogen pressure, temps etc can make it so there is no real 'ideal setup' for one riders sled to another.

If you are new to suspension setup, this equates to hours not minutes, and also riding partners that have the patience to let you 'tinker' on your ride.

Also worth noting , 'Low' and 'high' speed do not refer to the speed you are travelling... It refers to incident of shaft-velocity.

Super adjustable shocks like the Kayaba 36 & 40 Pro-R and Pro models can be a mixed blessing for the uninitiated.

I mean this in a helpful way.... and you are rewarded with understanding, intuitively understanding, those shocks.

IMO.
Have NOT TOUCHED them as yet!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Get your value for your dollar

Have NOT TOUCHED them as yet!

From all the brands... "from the factory" does not mean they are set to any standard or even the same side to side (skis) or properly in the rear.... again for any standard....might be set the same and ok.. might not be.... but for the price of the sled and the extra cost for that shock package.. I'd check.

Worth getting to know before too much time goes by.

Good luck and have some fun with that beautiful ride !

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Mountain View, Wyoming 82939
I’m riding a new 165 freeride this year. Setup is still way too soft for bigger rider and some jumping. I already destroyed a set of rails, tore the limiter strap, and bent some shafts from bottoming out too much. I’m going to try stiffer springs front and back and start turning up the compression and go from there. Stay tuned...

Beginning stock setup:
250# geared up rider
Rear torsion #5
Center .5” preload
Limiter stock position
Fronts .5” preload
Sway bar connected
All clickers in stock mid point position.

-Sled bottoms out too easy
-Sled turns uphill too easy in slow technical lines
-not enough stroke left in shock to support sled on one ski

Last edited:
Premium Features