• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New track time!!! Suggestions??

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Ok, I'm really liking this M8 boondocker setup, but it's time for a new track.

I finally identified the track on it as a 2.25" Maverick. The paddles are all bent over and it does lift the sled as track speed comes up, but it doesn't provide much forward motion... I'm seeing track speed of almost 60mph on powder climbs!! It definitely feels like it's just spinning without providing much forward thrust...

The sled has a 153" track, and I'd like to stay at that length.

I have been looking and it appears that either a 2.6" PC or 2.5" CE are my best options... The PC is almost $1000 new, and I haven't found a used one. I can get a new 2.5 CE delivered for $650.

I see there is also a 280 Conquer available in 3" pitch 153, but that track hasn't been getting great reviews...

I'm wanting better performance in deep powder, both climbing and in the trees... I watched my bud on a newer doo with a 154 x 3" track just crawl around and it made me very jealous... :)

Before I pull the trigger on the CE, any other tracks I should consider?? I don't think I want a 3" track, since I also ride a bit of hard pack from time to time...

Thanks for input!

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
the 2.6 PC is the best track for your application. it will just drop in the 3" will not clear on the 05 to 11s It will on most 12 and ups.

keep looking you will find one. I have put over 8K miles on 2.6's and they are the best all around track.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I've had both on an m-series.

the powerclaw does what they do....grab and grab

the CE actually provides a little better floatation in the same vein as the polaris tracks, or what it sounds like your maverick is doing. I'd say it falls between the powerclaw and your maverick in terms of lift vs. grab.

If you get the 2.6 powerclaw, cut the small fingers on the outside. It will grab even better.

Can't go wrong with either IMO. With a boosted sled, I'd probably try to justify the powerclaw. Track speed won't be a problem.

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Thanks fellas! I'm only running ~6psi of boost in the mountains, but it does make a huge difference in power compared to my NA M8.

I'm going to stay away from the 3" tracks. I think going to a 2.5"-ish track will be plenty of improvement...

The comments about the 2.6 PC being the best all-around track are on par with what I had read.

If a used one doesn't pop up soon, I'll just spring for the 2.5 CE. I understand that it's probably 5% worse than the PC in a few situations, but it's 5% better in others... Certainly that 5% is not worth the additional $400 it'll cost me to buy a new 2.6 PC over the 2.5 CE.

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
It only took two days for me to run out of patience. Had a couple of leads on 2.6PC's, but they all ended up nowhere. Even a used PC was going to cost me ~$550.

I just ordered a new 2.5 CE from tracksforless.com for $650 delivered.

Can't wait to see what this thing does with a real track!

Now to offload this Maverick... Would make a nice track for a lower HP sled.

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
153 2.5 challenger extreme track

I looked for the 2.6 power claw as well and they are proud of them at around a grand. I went with the challenger 2.5 track from tracksforless.com also. Same price around 650 shipped and great to deal with. They shipped super fast. How do you like your track? I haven’t installed mine yet.

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Didn't get much riding on the 2.5 CE last year but I've had it out some this year. It's great!! I can now throttle up or through stuff that would have left me stuck last year. It has pulled me through a lot of stuff that I would have been stuck in last year. I'm still learning to trust that it'll just go... I am trying to ride more in control, which is to say slower, and this track seems to allow that much more than the Maverick that I took off, and more than the 2.25" PC that's on my other M8. My only regret is that I didn't go with an even taller track. :)

I do not notice that much difference in braking compared the the 2.25" PC, or in trail performance. I would have to concur with others that this track is probably almost identical in performance to the 2.6" PC at half the price. I don't get any rubbing in the tunnel, but I'm running the skid in dropped position to compensate for the longer HCR front shocks that push the narrower suspension down farther. (My version of an elevate kit for the M-series...)

Premium Features