• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Secondary Clutch

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Well I'm getting to the point I think I might be looking at doing a secondary rebuild/replacement on my 2014. I guess it's to be expected after 1800 miles of hard use running a big bore and toting around a 300lb rider. We've seen multiple secondary clutches used on this chassis throughout the years along with a few aftermarket options. I figured this thread might be helpful to others doing maintenance and/or replacements of secondary clutches in the future. I would have included a poll, but I'm not sure how to do that.

So for those that have delt with them over the years, which secondary clutch is the best as far as performance goes? Maintenance? Belt life? Why do you think so? Basically if you were building a Cat from the ground up and got your pick, what would you run? Below are the common options I've seen over the years.

2012-2013 "Small Fin"
2014-2015 "Big Fin"
2016-2018 OEM Team
Team Tied
Mountain Valley Machined/rebuilt
Big or Small Fin with Torsion Conversion
Big or Small Fin with Hercules Helix
Other (explain)

Betterview

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Central Minnesota
My choice would be a Hercules helix on a Mountain Valley Machined and trued driven. Had both a small fin and big fin secondary on my machine and after sustained high speed or deep powder running they both got hot and absolutely would not hold RPMs. Put on a 911 cover on the drive and a Hercules Helix which allows you to use a softer spring in the driven. Whole new riding experience. Did not get driven machined but need to. When I first put on a new belt it does not smooth evenly from top to bottom.

matt159

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Southwest Iowa
venom secondary on 900 bmp

2013 ProLite 900. I put on a venom (team tied) secondary (from RacinStation) last year & love it... I am using adjustable magnetic primary weights from SSI, so I had the ability to dial it in easily. It's been spot on... upshifts fast & backshifts perfectly (didn't know a setup could do both until now). Lots better than 2013 stock and works better than the 2016 stock team or SSI clutch setup (in the stock team) on my buddy's sled.

Last edited:

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Well...

Not likely you're gonna find anyone with experience with all the setups you mentioned. But I'll throw my opinion into the ring. I've tested the 2013 OEM secondary, the 14 big fin with stock and Hercules helix, and the team tied on both the 800, a linderman 925, and m1100t running a EVO big chute turbo. On the 800, I had the best performance running a P85 primary, 911 cover with MDS weights and a team tied secondary, set up by Racin Station. I use the same package on the 925 now, with heavier weights and a steeper helix. On the 1100T, I'm using a cat clutch with billet spider & 911 cover, MDS "fat cat" weights and a tied secondary with a setup from Racin Station. I've used torsional secondaries in the past with good results, too, but they aren't great with engine reverse...

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
On my 14, I put on a 911 primary cover last year, which helped things considerably.
This year I Added a Team Tied from Racin Station. Only have a couple easy rides on it and so far I’m happy with it. Real seamless engagement, pulls, pulls and pulls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
im a fan of tied drivens with a little room to float.
but this stock team on my 17 has been great so far.

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I'm heading to tog Friday with a new machined big fin secondary I'll report my results when I get back.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Seems that with a 2012-2015 secondary both the machining and Hercules Helix help things. Seems like a fair amount of folks happy with the Tied setups as well. Machining at $350-$400 + a Hercules helix at $200 is more than picking up a new calibrated Tied setup at $440 + alignment bar $40. And that's not including any rebuild parts to my knowledge. I received a PM about the Hercules setup and have some phone calls to make tomorrow to discuss options.

What are you guys with the Tied clutches seeing for service intervals on rollers and bushings?

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Got back from togwotee last night the machined secondary worked great belt temps were definitely down did 7 or 8 runs in a row up a roughly a 800 foot climb in wet snow belt never squealed once when I got back to the bottom. Last yeah same hill with a stock clutch I was lucky if I could make 2-3 runs back to back. I am very impressed with the results I would do it again and recommend it to anyone having high belt temps. Only down fall I saw was the belt would slip in reverse under a little bit of a load. Reverse works fine in the parking lot but if your using it up on the hill the belt tends to slip every once in a while

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The oem big fin with the torsions spring helix will give the most track speed and run cool.

The team tied is a great clutch but not the best for performance, good backshifting though and durable.

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The oem big fin with the torsions spring helix will give the most track speed and run cool.

The team tied is a great clutch but not the best for performance, good backshifting though and durable.

What are you seeing for track speed with the torsion spring helix??

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
What are you seeing for track speed with the torsion spring helix??

Keep in mind track speed discussions are like Dyno discussions: worthless without a baseline to compare the gain to.

As far as the reverse thing goes, I think some aftermarket helixes don't get the cut right to catch the roller right every time. My BDX helix on my stock 2014 secondary catches every time in about any condition. Another brand in a 2013 clutch I have setup for spring snow misses all the time. RK Tek torsional secondary on old Mseries was great, but running it on M1000 With reverse would only catch 1/2 the time. Torsional Cutler setup seemed to work fine on same sled. Just seems to be a crap shoot.

Last edited:
Premium Features