• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So why are ski doos so heavy?

K

Kruchy

Sep 30, 2009
Goodsoil, SK
The 600 lbs. of the viper weight will not include the turbo. So you have a 135 hp viper that ways 600 lbs or with a turbo a 190 hp viper that is probably around 630 lbs. I know I rounded off the numbers but i was just throwing out the idea that 600 lbs is heavy if you consider the horse power.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Why does everyone make such a big deal on the weight of these sleds? it doesn't matter what you ride they are all heavy when stuck!!

Once you ride a true 400ish lb sled, then hop on the same sled with 60-70 more lbs... you'd see why people make such a big deal out of weight.

Having spent the $$ and time to do it myself, the difference is HUGE.

The fact that anyone is gullible enough to believe that a heavy 4 stroke, in a heavy chassis, is now magically comparable to ANY of the 2 strokes, is funny stuff.

The M8 is about 5ish lighter than the doo, and then you add a motor that we all know adds at minimum 40 lbs... so then they use MAGIC to make it within 10 lbs?? Yeah...no.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Ok this is only my opinion! I have a 13 pro with MTNTK turbo and a 13 stock XM, I love both sleds it has been a very fun season on both machines but throughout the season I have been in situations that I had to roll both sleds over on the hill when getting stuck and every time I have been in this situation the XM has felt much lighter when rolling over. Again, only my opinion I think jumping the XM is easier and feels lighter also. Take it for what it's worth...pick the sled that most suits you in your riding style and have fun out there because this season is almost over :(... I guess I will have to go ride my dirtbike and water ski until that magic powder starts falling from the sky again :face-icon-small-coo

Wait until you have to flip the xm over backwards, to get it unstuck, and then you will find out how much heavier the xm is over a pro. The xm is effortless in the right snow but fussier on the right snow. I think the xm and the 14 cat are easier to tip up and more fun in everything but steep sidehills and trees. I don't buy into the snow weight making as much difference as they try to portray. You will notice 50 in the front in a huge way.

B
Feb 26, 2008
another Yamaha propaganda video........100 lbs of snow ..but only on two machines...that's funny

why top up oil ,put enough in to burn through I tank of gas ,how much fuel in the nitro........I guess everyone will just buy a yamaha

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
buy 1 yammicatturbotank or 2 - 2015 800 summit sports for the same price.LOL

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
If they really want to get specific with weight numbers the Viper holds the least amount of fuel of the three sleds. You can make any kind of comparisons with sleds and if done the right way make any brand look superior. If you really ride you can pick through the bull.

But on a side note they said the Xm skid holds snow due to inner idler wheels well no inner idler wheels on the 2015 T3's

Last edited:

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Here goes the weight arguments again.

I know the poo is a great sled but they can fold up too and lets be honest, the weights really equalize in the real world when they have snow and ice hanging off everywhere AND they are stuck!

Still love the XM and No, the difference is not enough to make me change!

OTM

Dec 30, 2007
sd
I did not watch the video...you cannot believe all this propaganda....lets see the AC chassis was not the lightest to begin with,,throw in a 4 stroke and its gonna be even more heavy...that being said, 4 strokes are awesome....but I don't ride one.

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
I Just spent all day working on a 4 stroke!!!!!! I will stick to what I know 2 stroke.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Once you ride a true 400ish lb sled, then hop on the same sled with 60-70 more lbs... you'd see why people make such a big deal out of weight.

Having spent the $$ and time to do it myself, the difference is HUGE.

The fact that anyone is gullible enough to believe that a heavy 4 stroke, in a heavy chassis, is now magically comparable to ANY of the 2 strokes, is funny stuff.

The M8 is about 5ish lighter than the doo, and then you add a motor that we all know adds at minimum 40 lbs... so then they use MAGIC to make it within 10 lbs?? Yeah...no.

Well the fact that poo is significantly lighter than doo, forget about the 4 stroke, I just think it is interesting that doo, being a heavy pig, weight is hardly mentioned. I don't care what what they weigh, but it is a factor.

As far it making a difference, maybe not when in motion, but I've owned a couple 450#sleds and they were a breeze to get unstuck, on the other hand, when I get my Nytro stuck, GAME OVER, I'm waiting by friends, and if you are stuck up in a shoot, forget it, its rolling down by itself. A LIGHT WEIGHT 2 stroker, I can get that turned around by myself.

S

sketch96

Dec 23, 2011
I have owned a 2012 pro, 2014 cat, 2014 xm and 2 weeks ago took a 2015 cat 4 stroke turbo out for a day.

The turbo cat was a tank! no good at all for sidehilling or boondocking way too heavy.

The pro and the doo are the lightest feeling sleds,steering wise.

The cat 800 has heavy steering and feels more planted in the front end. great for the trails in and out of the mountains. tried a few different sets of skis and different suspension settings and it didnt lighten up the heavy steering feeling. Just feels bigger and heavier even tho its a few pds lighter on the scales than the doo.

The pro is hands down the easiest to sidehill and boondock, will stay on one ski all day long without being fussy. It is light no doubt about that. The only downfall is the reliability of the motor. build quality is not on par with the doo, neither is the cat.

The doo is by far the best built sled....quality wise. The warranty is the best and the fuel and oil usage is much better than the others. The etec pulls hard also. The sled works much better than I originally thought. I didnt give it much chance the first time I rode one (about 20min). It is a different sled to ride for sure but when you get used to it its pretty darn good.

Cat uses the most fuel and oil of the 3. It does pull pretty strong but with the 2014 gearing it tops out quickly and doesnt really have any top end. The doo will outpull the cat because of this gearing.

The cat does hold less snow on the back now that it doesnt have the rear heat exchanger but overheats on the trail alot faster now.

Overall I decided to keep the xm because of how much better the quality of everything is, light steering, fuel and oil usage, better warranty, great power and still pretty reliable. It suprised me the most of what to expect after coming off the cat and pro. All sleds have their weaknesses and strong points and for myself the doo seems to be the best of both worlds....light feeling like the pro but more reliable.....pulls strong like the cat but feels alot lighter.......and better WARRANTY AND FUEL MILEAGE than both of them by far!!!

JMHO!!!

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
When your at 9000 to 10,000 feet and your riding chest deep bottomless pow pow in a freaking vertigo blizzard the last thing I'm worried is weight. I have ridden all types of sleds and when it's balls deep all I care about is keeping the throttle pinned so I can keep my sled floating..FYI, from what I've seen ALL the manufactures have mountain sleds that DOO the job very well.

DPG

S

sketch96

Dec 23, 2011
I agree all are good sleds with weaknesses and strongpoints. Just an honest point of view from a guy that has owned all 3. I ride in more than just chest deep powder in blizzards, and when you have the time to ride in all conditions you get a pretty good feel of what those differences are.

My buddy and his sons ride the proclimbs and are happy with them.....couple others ride doos and others ride pros in our group.....all in all we all get to where we want to go and no one is left behind because of the sled they ride.

I am just happy to be out there and riding and am not brand loyal. I am having fun riding and owning all of them, seeing the differences. A big strong point of the doo is fuel mileage and the factory 4 year
warranty, especially with the price of fuel rising all the time!!

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I think he was originally asking WHY is the doo noticeably heavier, and why haven't they addressed this over the years.

Not snow weight, fuel economy, polaris motor reliability, etc.

I think it's a valid question. Why is it heavier? It's not any stronger, we know that. I suppose there is a little extra weight in the 16" wide track, tunnel and other hardware to accommodate it. I wonder how much that accounts for.

D
Nov 14, 2013
I think a good test would be to take all four, scratch that because the yammy is out before the contest starts......and in some pow on the flat get em planted. Spin them like a newbie till the track is almost touching dirt. Then see what is required to get them unstuck. I can gurantee you which sled will win this one.....

S

sketch96

Dec 23, 2011
After riding all of them......the doo does not FEEL heavier at all. The cat feels way heavier than the poo or doo.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
After riding all of them......the doo does not FEEL heavier at all. The cat feels way heavier than the poo or doo.

I rode a 14 cat that must have been set up better because it didn't have that bulky wide feel that I hated on the other ones I had rode. It also didn't trench like a mother either.

Premium Features