• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for advice

FarmerTimBob

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2014
Got a 06 M7. Needs a new top end. Question is do I look at big bores or just put in new stock top end and upgrade to something newer? I almost have it the way I want it, that's my dilemma. Working with a somewhat limited budget as I only get out west once or twice a year.
00158263d3780095998e6bb7bfdaec90.jpg

mk2g60

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, NH
www.shock-tech.com
Think you answered your own question, your on a budget so leave it stock. You go big bore you need cylinders, pistons, head, fuel controller, clutching, you'll also want a y pipe and exhaust pipe, egt's. It's an easy $3-4K

Ddub

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I'd look for a good used big bore. They come up often. Nice looking ride!

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
If you need the stock head I have one available that has RKT patented combustion chamber and milled to 14 to 1. Really wakes that 700 up. No fuel controller needed and runs 91 octane. If interested PM me. I can send pictures.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
if you are going to be keeping the sled for a long period mod it and don't look at what it is worth you can mod a brand-new sled a little or a lot and never get out what you put in it... not even the base price of what it was stock if you dump 5,000 in mods you will loose that + ... even if you sell it the same year! if you want more that it has stock and you are going to keep it make it what you want and enjoy every ride! if you don't get to ride a lot than every ride is precious and should be all you want it to be! when the day is dun all we have is memories...smiles....and the thought's of the next ride! if you are looking at resell than buy it broke fix it ride it and sell it for a profit before its broke again just my 2c any how. good luck

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Another option to consider is looking for a used 800 cat engine. Do some research and see if the 800 fits the 700 case,just swap top ends. I know the part number for the connecting rod is the same. Or drop in the complete engine, reliable big bore for a decent price either way.

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Engine

I am not sure if you have ever ridden a sled with an early 800 engine. I have ownwed an 07, 09 and 10 M8 as well as a 700 M7. The 700 feels like a much more powerful engine and if you were to put say an 07 800 in your sled I think you would be sorry. They were quite anemic engines until Cat made some changes. The HO motor was quite a lot better. If you were considering an engine swap you would need to find a 10 or 11 HO.

Last edited:

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
Stock top end with OEM components. When I had my M7 dialed in it was an impressive sled at the time, I’m at low elevation.

-Stack

Premium Features