• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RH powder bog ?!

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
Haha. Maybe read more? Taping up some plastic seams or buying a wobble clutch that takes out belts cranks and bearings, and has a shattering bulkhead if you fart at it. Tough choice.

Pretty much set on the Cat, ( mainly because of the dealer) but I will wait to see what the 19's have to offer. Great post by the way. Fred

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Pretty much set on the Cat, ( mainly because of the dealer) but I will wait to see what the 19's have to offer. Great post by the way. Fred

They really really need to redesign the intake on these things. The junction by the nose cone has been a weak spot for 6 model years now. The M-series setup was better.

Plus the complexity of the hood plenum is just overkill.

Everyone's acting like 2018 is a new sled. It's new plastics clutches and motor. A lot of the stuff that needs to be changed still hasn't been.

Either way, taping up some junctions doesn't seem like a big deal to me. It's better than the problems the other two 2stroke companies come with.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
They’ve always had sub par fit and finish. Frankly I don’t care much about that but if it translates into a loss of the best powder days bogged out, it’s a legit concern. If you can really fix it with some simple patching no big deal I guess. I was just hoping for more from Cat on this sled. Consumers deserve more for that amount of money.

i think this is becoming a bigger deal here than it is in real life.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
They’ve always had sub par fit and finish. Frankly I don’t care much about that but if it translates into a loss of the best powder days bogged out, it’s a legit concern. If you can really fix it with some simple patching no big deal I guess. I was just hoping for more from Cat on this sled. Consumers deserve more for that amount of money.

I agree, they need to step up their quality control. But I guess I will take having to check and tape up some panels vs ripping most of the insulation out and cutting holes everywhere to stop belts blowing. Or having to install a ‘fix’ kit on a motor.

Seems all the manufacturers have their issues, if it turns out AC isn’t worse than some vents needing to fit better, I know what I’ll take.

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
i think this is becoming a bigger deal here than it is in real life.

So what you're saying is once the intake is sealed, the bogging issue isn't a problem? I could live with that, I just couldn't live with some unresolvable bogging/performance issue which is what I thought I read on some posts up above. Regardless, still looks pretty sloppy and they should do better.

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
So what you're saying is once the intake is sealed, the bogging issue isn't a problem? I could live with that, I just couldn't live with some unresolvable bogging/performance issue which is what I thought I read on some posts up above. Regardless, still looks pretty sloppy and they should do better.
Yes. I sealed mine before I ever rode it and it has never bogged. I also have zero snow anywhere in my engine bay. Which is drastically different than my 14.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

S
Nov 5, 2014
There is a recall coming, tape for now.
Not a huge deal.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

S
Nov 5, 2014
Yes. I sealed mine before I ever rode it and it has never bogged. I also have zero snow anywhere in my engine bay. Which is drastically different than my 14.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Still to much snow for my liking.
fa8f1611442a0ed845e23e9848d5ff2b.jpg
e668dc2558ad273a17a40bc02769c827.jpg

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
So had some really good powder days this weekend, and I experienced a bog a couple times. Even though I have sealed my intakes with silicone, it still happend. At the same time I also experienced belt slippage, so I guess I will need to get some frog skinz or similar to block of the venting in the side panels also.

Hope the recall comes soon, and that my pistons havent been washed to much because of the snow intake.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i have kinda hard time believing the little gaps up on the intake are the culprit of all bogs. youguys know these cat throttles have temperamental safety switches in them right? its the same throttle block people have been taking apart and disconnecting for years. add a tether if you do.
or make sure your cable is adjusted correctly and accept that every once in a while when you go to take off its going to bog because you grabbed the throttle a little funny. no biggy imo.

Last edited:

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
i have kinda hard time believing the little gaps up on the intake are the culprit of all bogs. youguys know these cat throttles have temperamental safety switches in them right? its the same throttle block people have been taking apart and disconnecting for years. add a tether if you do.
or make sure your cable is adjusted correctly and accept that every once in a while when you go to take off its going to bog because you grabbed the throttle a little funny. no biggy imo.

It's not that kind of bog in my case, so pretty sure its not the tss. Only has happend about three times, but i managed to get it on my helmet camera.

Follow the link and listen, you can hear the bog/hessitation start at around 17sec and last to 20sec. I was giving it WOT at that time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL96Qj_i97A

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
^yeah i was just throwing that out there for anyone not familiar with the cat throttles.
your link says video unavailable?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
def looks like that brush deposited some pow on your intakes there. and to be clear this is with the little gaps sealed right...
are these new motors a little more finicky about a little moisture ingestion? maybe there was somethin to the 4 spark plugs of the old motors.

fudge313

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2015
Finland
Has anybody put more holes at intake? And remove those silencer plates insade the box? Any help..

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
def looks like that brush deposited some pow on your intakes there. and to be clear this is with the little gaps sealed right...
are these new motors a little more finicky about a little moisture ingestion? maybe there was somethin to the 4 spark plugs of the old motors.

Could be you're right about snow from the brush. Yes, my intakes are sealed with silicone, i also sealed the nose cone.

All other sleds run on two spark plugs, and havent experienced something like this with them.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
All other sleds run on two spark plugs, and havent experienced something like this with them.

good point. was just thinking how its so similar to the proclimb intake, and my 17 will run with snow covering them. 18s have bigger throttle bodies though. need more fresh air? maybe fudge is onto something with extra vents. good luck, sweet sleds!

Premium Features