• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

T-Motion lock-out or not???

R
Nov 16, 2016
I just bought a nice clean low mile (1,250 miles) 2013 800R E-tech 154" XM with T-motion.
I have ridden this new-to-me sled just one time (Sunday, November 19th).

I've watched my son, my daughter-in-law and my granddaughter effortlessly ride their T-motion sleds.
I had ridden two of their sleds (w/ T-motion) the previous season, and I liked it. It's what lead me to this 2013 purchase.

However, now that I've been able to spend a full day on one, I noticed there are times when the T-motion makes my sled a bit squirrely for me (I am not a spring chicken.... I'm in my late 60s).

On that day, we made first tracks while going up a trail (fairly fresh and deep snow). The T-motion proved to keep me on my toes...... perhaps a bit more than what I'm comfortable with..... at least for now!

I have been reading a few articles and watching a few videos showing how the T-motion system can been locked out. Apparently this gives the rider the option to either use or lock out the T-motion action.

Have any of you done this to your T-Motion suspension?
What are your thoughts regarding doing this?
Do you know of any kit that works well?
What kit(s) should one avoid?

Thanks in advance,

Rick E.

Edit:
This is one man's method for creating a lock-out system.
Here's his video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kDanGk56uE&t=1s

Tmotion lock out 1.jpg Tmotion lock out 2 .jpg

Last edited:

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
From your information given I'd leave the t-motion alone for a few more rides. T-motion does help initiate turns and roll your sled onto edge. Some complain of negative traits when your side hill through old tracks. There is a company that makes some washers that limit the movement of the t-motion. The company is Skinz.
Ride the sled and try to get used to the t-motion. It will grow on you. Use foot positioning on the running boards to control the rear of the sled.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
the 13's were bad for knifeing in and dipping, a wider ski helps this out quite a bit, with the newer ras2 and especially the ras3 the stock skis seem to be ok.

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Lock out

There will be mixed reviews on this topic. It really depends on riding style or how the sled acts or reacts to the way you ride. For me locking the t motion out was night and day better, my sled would wonder left or right and wouldn't hold a strait line while climbing. I couldn't hold a line in the trees without getting stuck or runnng into a tree I tried suspension adjustments without any change. Finally I locked out my t motion and the sled is great now. Some people love it but I think it's got more negative points than possative. It rolls on its side just as easy as before and washes out less on a side hill. Nothing but possative results locking it out for me.

G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
SHR T3 Drop Bracket

You may want to look at SHR T3 drop bracket as well as locking out the TMotion. Relocates skid to T3 specs and makes the XM more predictable.

R
Nov 16, 2016
Thanks to all of you. That gives me a few things to think about!

If you have any further suggestions, please post!

Rick

T
Jan 12, 2010
BC
Think of it this way, we cut out our flexy running boards and put on stiff tube boards for a reason.
T motion is a gimmick in my eyes.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Good idea, invent something as well that you can lock out rear shock, for the steep/ deep days, we don’t need suspensions, since the snow is all we need and sag hurts us..

Tmotion is a joke, made for guys like norona, not real world mountain riders

Premium Features