• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1995 Polaris XLT SKS Help and Info?

I
Dec 8, 2016
Colton
Hello all, never really rode a sled at all other then in a few of our fields but I think this might be the year I take it to the mountains. I've got an old Polaris XLT SKS and It has about 4800 miles but it has been sitting in my shed for about the last 6 years, my cousin helped clean out the carb last year and put some new gas in it but it still has never actually left the ranch. The sled was bought at an auction but I really don't know anything about it, it's model number 0950556 and it was manufactured in November of 1994, is there anything special I need to know about the sled? The motor is an Extra Lite Triple and I would like to buy a new choke cable for it as the current one takes pliers to pull all three cables out but I don't know where the best part to buy parts is. Thanks for any info!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
You may be able to get by with a choke repair kit that replaces the end that is typically broken without replacing the whole cable setup.

I had a '94 that I extended to a 136". Kind of miss that sled at times.

I
Dec 8, 2016
Colton
I found this picture that seems to show everything I would need to get the cable fixed but I think I would have to order the whole cable because it looks like I could get 2200189 the choke control kit but it doesn't look like that would contain the full housing for the cable to go into according to these schematics, hard to know for certain though since it is just a picture of a box but maybe buying at least that part would give me something to put my current 3 cables into to pull on rather then using pliers? Or I could just buy the whole cable and assembly on ebay for about $35...

sled.jpg

Last edited:
I
Dec 8, 2016
Colton
Cool thanks, I spent quite a bit of time last night searching the part numbers but wasn't coming up with much, appreciate you finding that. I went ahead and ordered both, hopefully that will work and I can stop using pliers to choke it...Any servicing I should do to the sled before I take it out?

Last edited:

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Fresh gas is a must even if you put stabilizer in last year. Drain all the old gas and burn it in your truck.
At the very minimum check the bearings in the suspension idler wheels to make sure they spin freely. Grease the suspension and front end wherever there is a grease nipple. There is a grease nipple behind the secondary clutch on the drive shaft that requires you to pull the secondary clutch in order to reach it. Quite often I will take the skidframe out to really check it over. Check the hyfax to make sure it isn't worn badly. If the hyfax wears through then it can get pretty costly for repairs. Check ski wear bars for wear. I usually change the chaincase oil and adjust chain tension as well.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Double check that the heating elements on the grips is in good shape. Mine shorted out and took the stator with it.

I think my grips got too loose and I simply wore the insulation off the wires so something to keep an eye on anyway.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
if it has steel skis do yourself a favor and put some plastic ones on. cheap ebay camoplast 7" wide ones or a set from a 97+ RMK will bolt right on.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Plastic ski covers that just fasten to the steel ski will help with the skis freezing to the snow if left overnight . They also stop the snow from sticking to the ski when temperatures are fairly warm in the spring. Depending on the vintage of sled you are looking at I would look for used OEM plastic skis instead. The biggest advantage is weight savings and better handling in deeper snow due to better design.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Yup, what retiredpop said is on point. Ski covers will help, but there's a good chance you can find newer plastic skis, possibly for the same price (or better if you're lucky). I've also seen a couple cases where the covers apparently caused metal skis to rust out. Plastic skis weight less and perform better anyway (unless it's a huge miss-match, like Powder Pros on a trail sled), so that's the direction I'd go. Not positive what all the options for ski swaps are, but it seems if it's off or for a Polaris trailing arm sled, it'll work on and older trailing arm sled.

C
Nov 21, 2019
I've got ski skins on both of my 92 Indys. They do end up with a puddle of water in them after riding, about a quart lol. They make the ski much wider though and seem to handle really well. One thing I learned in a hurry was that to install them you have to take the skegs off and you might as well buy new skegs because there is about 100% chance you're going to break/brake/trash the mounting bolts. Camoplast has a set of skis that will bolt right up to your XLT for just over $200 on EBay, or you can try to find some take offs. There was a dealer in Central Oregon (I think they are here in the classifieds) that was selling take offs but not sure about fitment. I have a 94 XLT that I'm eyeing the Camoplasts for. ski linky

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I've got a pair of those I plan to use on an old project sled; think I bought them a year ago and have barely touched the sled... They are a great deal and lighter than most. Obviously I can't comment on performance or durability, but the reports I could find were mostly favorable. Keep in mind they make two types: a wide, off-trail ski, and a trail-oriented ski. They're called "terrain" and "touring" respectively.

Premium Features