For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Yamaha: Boosted Sleds (Turbo or Supercharged) Turbo discussion for Yamaha aftermarket Turbo or Super Charged sleds.
View Poll Results: What boost do you run?
0-10 125 26.32%
11-13 98 20.63%
14-16 130 27.37%
17-19 85 17.89%
20+? 37 7.79%
Voters: 475. You may not vote on this poll

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Currently: is it winter yet?
Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,359 Posts
Wheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Default What boost levels do you run?

Well, with my converting to propane this year, the 1 ton powered DOO is gonna get a hair more boost... now im just curious what is a good level to crank it to.. and just curious on other folks opinions on whats a nice level..

I do feel like as much as I can is a good level, which with a headshimed motor on propane is like 18-20#, but I think the excess power will start to eat my homemade motor mounts and other parts as well.. always the weakest link!! Last year I ran 10# but with a poorly setup system, bad clutching, and a way overtightned track that made the power like 7-8#... it was pretty damn fun and fast, it ate anything NA without a problem, but who wants to go fast when you can go faster eh? probably will end up at 14-16 this year.

I run a LOT of boondocking, so I feel like there can be to much.

and basically, im bored as crap, its the summer. and want something to chat about.

Last edited by Wheel House Motorsports; 07-30-2010 at 09:58 PM.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 07-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Currently: It's 10 years old,12'long,700lbs, 350hp
sledfvr has a reputation beyond reputesledfvr has a reputation beyond reputesledfvr has a reputation beyond reputesledfvr has a reputation beyond reputesledfvr has a reputation beyond reputesledfvr has a reputation beyond reputesledfvr has a reputation beyond reputesledfvr has a reputation beyond reputesledfvr has a reputation beyond reputesledfvr has a reputation beyond reputesledfvr has a reputation beyond repute

14-17#'s is max usable climbing horsepower. I usually run 15#'s. The people that claim they run over 20#'s of boost are in and out of throttle so much that it only averages about 15#'s. You can climb anything you want as long as the front stays down on 15#'s of boost. Just my .02. Edit...This is on a properly setup sled with 12.0afr's, good clutching, and good all around tuning.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sledfvr For This Useful Post:
EZmoney (07-30-2010), Thunderguy BOOSTED (08-31-2010)
Old 07-30-2010, 10:47 PM
Wheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledfvr View Post
14-17#'s is max usable climbing horsepower. I usually run 15#'s. The people that claim they run over 20#'s of boost are in and out of throttle so much that it only averages about 15#'s. You can climb anything you want as long as the front stays down on 15#'s of boost. Just my .02. Edit...This is on a properly setup sled with 12.0afr's, good clutching, and good all around tuning.
good to hear... thats kinda what I was thinking. If just racing in lower angle uphills, Higher boost might be rideable, but I know mine creaped to 14+ a time or two.. and it was NUTS.. it haules arse. and mine running crappy power on low boost was crazy fast in any sort of setup snow. Heck, with the stock DOO skid, im not sure how its gonna do at those levels, turn it up till its unrideable then back it down a hair??

My main goal for the year is getting the power to the track as last year I had some bad clutching/alignment issues from bent motor mounts. and my drivers were wore out, so the track was as tight as physically possible(bent adjuster bolts.)

Old 07-31-2010, 04:34 PM
Currently: "When your going through hell, keep going" Winston Churchill
Motleyone has a reputation beyond reputeMotleyone has a reputation beyond reputeMotleyone has a reputation beyond reputeMotleyone has a reputation beyond reputeMotleyone has a reputation beyond reputeMotleyone has a reputation beyond reputeMotleyone has a reputation beyond reputeMotleyone has a reputation beyond reputeMotleyone has a reputation beyond reputeMotleyone has a reputation beyond reputeMotleyone has a reputation beyond repute

Boost level is a combination of many different things. Snow depth, snow condition, hill length, hill or shoot width etc. I think the key is to not limit yourself because you ARE gonna want more power. This is why I don't understand why people go with a stage 1 kit or a stage 2 kit etc. Get the extra fuel pump and surge tank, get the larger injectors etc to begin with. Sure it might cost you one or two thousand more but you can set your boost where you want it. If you want evidence that 17-18lbs is needed look no further than the linked youtube video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQkCF...eature=related Travis pulled the steepest line out of the McLarens Mile on 17-18lbs. I don't think he would have pulled that at 15lbs, maybe but i doubt it. Check out his front end, it is barely moving. Stop the video at 28-29 seconds to see just how steep it is. That wall he climbed up was literally a 60-65 degree incline. Our buddy was scared to death to walk down it to get Frenchie unstuck the weekend before. So my point is set your system up to what you are gonna wanna climb not to what you can climb now. Start off at 13-15 pounds and move it up to 17-18 lbs. Anything over 18 lbs has much more potential to damage the motor so I would not go that high. The included pic is of our friend standing on that face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledfvr View Post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2483.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	108885  

Lovin the big boost!!!

Last edited by Motleyone; 07-31-2010 at 04:37 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 07-31-2010, 05:53 PM
Currently: It's 10 years old,12'long,700lbs, 350hp
sledfvr has a reputation beyond reputesledfvr has a reputation beyond reputesledfvr has a reputation beyond reputesledfvr has a reputation beyond reputesledfvr has a reputation beyond reputesledfvr has a reputation beyond reputesledfvr has a reputation beyond reputesledfvr has a reputation beyond reputesledfvr has a reputation beyond reputesledfvr has a reputation beyond reputesledfvr has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you Motley. I do run mine at 17-18lbs, but it only is needed for 2-3 climbs per year. He only had that thing pinned for about 3 seconds in that vid though. On 15lbs the front might have stayed down a little more and he would have had a little more momentum for the last climb. I am just saying that for 99% of the riding 15lbs is all that is needed.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:11 PM
Currently: Not set.
EZmoney has a reputation beyond reputeEZmoney has a reputation beyond reputeEZmoney has a reputation beyond reputeEZmoney has a reputation beyond reputeEZmoney has a reputation beyond reputeEZmoney has a reputation beyond reputeEZmoney has a reputation beyond reputeEZmoney has a reputation beyond reputeEZmoney has a reputation beyond reputeEZmoney has a reputation beyond reputeEZmoney has a reputation beyond repute

With deep deep snow i may run 18 psi. But for the most part with my sled i run 14 or 15 psi. Not saying my sled is some freakish power monster but it is hard to ride and and stay with your line at the higher boost levels, you just get going way to fast if you just hold it pinned.So your on and off the gas and thats where your suspension is loading and unloading and thats where you wheelie out and crash! I believe if you can hold it down rather than be on and off the throttle you will go higher and be in control resulting in a better pull.Each sled may make more or less power at the same boost levels and suspension choice and and track length will make a difference. So we will hear some different opinions.

Last edited by EZmoney; 07-31-2010 at 10:32 PM.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:42 PM
Currently: Go Bucks!
Basic Member
zebiraross has a reputation beyond reputezebiraross has a reputation beyond reputezebiraross has a reputation beyond reputezebiraross has a reputation beyond reputezebiraross has a reputation beyond reputezebiraross has a reputation beyond reputezebiraross has a reputation beyond reputezebiraross has a reputation beyond reputezebiraross has a reputation beyond reputezebiraross has a reputation beyond reputezebiraross has a reputation beyond repute

I run 17 most of the time. When I race or it's really deep it's up to 20. There are certainly some chutes I have a hard time climbimg in deep snow at 17 and that's when I turn it up. I wouldn't run more then 16 or so if I didn't have a suspension to keep the front end down regardless of snow condiitons. "Useable" power or boost has everything to do with suspension, not some arbitrary boost number.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:45 PM
Currently: 2871 boosting 4 cylinders!
Remmy has a reputation beyond reputeRemmy has a reputation beyond reputeRemmy has a reputation beyond reputeRemmy has a reputation beyond reputeRemmy has a reputation beyond reputeRemmy has a reputation beyond reputeRemmy has a reputation beyond reputeRemmy has a reputation beyond reputeRemmy has a reputation beyond reputeRemmy has a reputation beyond reputeRemmy has a reputation beyond repute

Some really good info in this thread. I voted 17-19 lbs. but recently upgraded to a 2871 and found that 15 lbs. was just "killing it" so I haven't gone over with the new turbo. I've had loads of fun at 18 -19 lbs. and have pushed my setup to 20+ lbs but the power is hardly rideable in anything technical.

IMO your chassis/skid end up being the limiting factor.

Smooth power delivery is crucial. When you see Irmen make some of his epic pulls in the Boost movies he's so smooth in and out of the throttle you never even hear a blowoff valve.

Can't wait to ride again...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Remmy For This Useful Post:
smokindave (08-02-2010), whitemeat (04-03-2015)
Old 07-31-2010, 09:56 PM

Good reading guys.. I definately appreciate the info.

I am a firm beleiver in the slightly less boost, but being able to stay WOT all the time is a lot more rideable then huge power just on/off the throttle all the time. I will admit im not a HUGE hillclimber, I like my steep and deep hills, but I prefer shorter and super steep, so more techincal keeping the sled from flipping stuff, maybe some trees in the top to dance with. This is also nice, so if you wreck, you dont cartwheel all the way down the mountain!!

as far as skid and track, Methinks thats gonna be my limiting factor, althought I am upgrading tracks its not that much, gonna be running a 162x16x2ish paddles, it was a 2.25 or a 2.5 cut down (not sure, im getting it for free) this should be a decent amount of track for the sled, but im only running the stock DOO skid, and I like to have it setup to boondock nicely, which isnt necasarily the best for big steep stuff. I am working on building some little coupling blocks for it to help keep it from being out of control...

I also know my turbo system being a homebrew setup is nearly as efficient as the big name systems, BUT, my setup this year with the midmount header and 16g turbo should spool like a SOB at those levels, it already came on real quick with my crap header I built last time, so this one should be a lot nice for on/off power delivery. also tuning propane is pretty simple and should be less finickey on angles the the gas carb setup. either way. thanks all for the input. My wastegate starts at 10#.. so i guess just get a boost controller and start having fun!!

Now I guess its time to start looking at better clutching!!
My fuel system will be able to handle whatever I want to throw at it.. got good drivetrain drievers, big enought turbo. I can turn it up beyond IMO I would be able to ride. I kinda forgot to mention Im a little smaller then most gents I see on t-yami's... Im 150# in street clothes, that definately makes a big difference in what it takes ot push me around.

Last edited by Wheel House Motorsports; 07-31-2010 at 10:08 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wheel House Motorsports For This Useful Post:
zx4ever (06-29-2017)
Old 08-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Old 08-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Thanked 1,128 Times in 586 Posts
turboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond reputeturboless terry has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 08-04-2010, 03:46 PM
xtrememotorworks has a reputation beyond reputextrememotorworks has a reputation beyond reputextrememotorworks has a reputation beyond reputextrememotorworks has a reputation beyond reputextrememotorworks has a reputation beyond reputextrememotorworks has a reputation beyond reputextrememotorworks has a reputation beyond reputextrememotorworks has a reputation beyond reputextrememotorworks has a reputation beyond reputextrememotorworks has a reputation beyond reputextrememotorworks has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-04-2010, 06:03 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 08-09-2010, 12:23 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 08-13-2010, 10:13 PM
Currently: NOT SET
Thunderguy BOOSTED has a reputation beyond reputeThunderguy BOOSTED has a reputation beyond reputeThunderguy BOOSTED has a reputation beyond reputeThunderguy BOOSTED has a reputation beyond reputeThunderguy BOOSTED has a reputation beyond reputeThunderguy BOOSTED has a reputation beyond reputeThunderguy BOOSTED has a reputation beyond reputeThunderguy BOOSTED has a reputation beyond reputeThunderguy BOOSTED has a reputation beyond reputeThunderguy BOOSTED has a reputation beyond reputeThunderguy BOOSTED has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Currently: Loving AF Canyon
twsandrew has a reputation beyond reputetwsandrew has a reputation beyond reputetwsandrew has a reputation beyond reputetwsandrew has a reputation beyond reputetwsandrew has a reputation beyond reputetwsandrew has a reputation beyond reputetwsandrew has a reputation beyond reputetwsandrew has a reputation beyond reputetwsandrew has a reputation beyond reputetwsandrew has a reputation beyond reputetwsandrew has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-18-2010, 02:25 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 08-20-2010, 12:02 AM
HANDSOME has a reputation beyond reputeHANDSOME has a reputation beyond reputeHANDSOME has a reputation beyond reputeHANDSOME has a reputation beyond reputeHANDSOME has a reputation beyond reputeHANDSOME has a reputation beyond reputeHANDSOME has a reputation beyond reputeHANDSOME has a reputation beyond reputeHANDSOME has a reputation beyond reputeHANDSOME has a reputation beyond reputeHANDSOME has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 08-25-2010, 03:24 PM
Currently: Custom Mcxpress Nytro
Tarzannr1 has a reputation beyond reputeTarzannr1 has a reputation beyond reputeTarzannr1 has a reputation beyond reputeTarzannr1 has a reputation beyond reputeTarzannr1 has a reputation beyond reputeTarzannr1 has a reputation beyond reputeTarzannr1 has a reputation beyond reputeTarzannr1 has a reputation beyond reputeTarzannr1 has a reputation beyond reputeTarzannr1 has a reputation beyond reputeTarzannr1 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 08-31-2010, 07:35 AM
Currently: Working on 2018 Proclimb mods
Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,391 Posts
RACINSTATION has a reputation beyond reputeRACINSTATION has a reputation beyond reputeRACINSTATION has a reputation beyond reputeRACINSTATION has a reputation beyond reputeRACINSTATION has a reputation beyond reputeRACINSTATION has a reputation beyond reputeRACINSTATION has a reputation beyond reputeRACINSTATION has a reputation beyond reputeRACINSTATION has a reputation beyond reputeRACINSTATION has a reputation beyond reputeRACINSTATION has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-02-2010, 09:42 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 09-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Currently: Riding the YZ/Camso
Basic Member
M5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to M5- For This Useful Post:
800tundra (10-27-2010), beyond_overkill (09-27-2010), Coxy (01-03-2012), EZmoney (09-21-2010), gunnerthesnowman (09-20-2012), justinkredible56 (09-20-2010), PistonBroke (09-21-2010), smwizzz (09-23-2012), Thunderguy BOOSTED (10-03-2010)
Old 09-22-2010, 02:29 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 10-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Currently: busy building !!!
mtn-doo has a reputation beyond reputemtn-doo has a reputation beyond reputemtn-doo has a reputation beyond reputemtn-doo has a reputation beyond reputemtn-doo has a reputation beyond reputemtn-doo has a reputation beyond reputemtn-doo has a reputation beyond reputemtn-doo has a reputation beyond reputemtn-doo has a reputation beyond reputemtn-doo has a reputation beyond reputemtn-doo has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 01-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Currently: NOT SET
Thunderguy BOOSTED has a reputation beyond reputeThunderguy BOOSTED has a reputation beyond reputeThunderguy BOOSTED has a reputation beyond reputeThunderguy BOOSTED has a reputation beyond reputeThunderguy BOOSTED has a reputation beyond reputeThunderguy BOOSTED has a reputation beyond reputeThunderguy BOOSTED has a reputation beyond reputeThunderguy BOOSTED has a reputation beyond reputeThunderguy BOOSTED has a reputation beyond reputeThunderguy BOOSTED has a reputation beyond reputeThunderguy BOOSTED has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register