• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SNOWEST FORUMS: Moving Foward into 2010!!

K
Nov 26, 2007
PugetSound
I wonder what it is about the BROWSE ALL option that isn't giving you everything your looking for?

Your response says it all right there.... you aren't listening to the users, especially the ones that have been here and seen it all. I don't know how long you were around in the background before you sold yourself as the guy that was going to make this a big cash flow for Harris Publications but it seems to me that you jumped in without really getting a feel for what the users want or how the place works. Remember anyone can set up a forum but without users and the knowledge they bring it will never get the hits.

It doesn't solve the problem that there are still too many forums and sub forums that you have to go to to browse.

At work we have numerous in-house developed programs and I have had basically this same discussion with our software programmers- don't make what used to be one or two clicks more clicks, don't make the users have to scroll until they get down to the detailed information. As a general rule a page should almost entirely be visible without scrolling.

I have to scroll down three screens worth to get to the snowtalk section. This is the part with most posts and the heart of the forum - it should be at the top. Sled specific forums which are busy should not be the top of the page they are not the ones that you have all users going into regularly - the cat guy isn't likely to be in the yamaha section but both cat and yamaha guys will be in the snowtalk forums. There is too much information about the category and it takes up lines of screen and I would hazard a guess that 99.9% of viewers never read it.

Constructive feedback from user not just b!tching.

S
Nov 29, 2008
Falkland BC
KWB and I might have been seperated at birth, because I feel the same way ! I'm not a software programmer or a computer geek, I'm just a sledder looking for info on my favorite sport, and the format as it is now, is cumbersome to navigate !

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Sled specific forums which are busy should not be the top of the page they are not the ones that you have all users going into regularly - the cat guy isn't likely to be in the yamaha section but both cat and yamaha guys will be in the snowtalk forums. There is too much information about the category and it takes up lines of screen and I would hazard a guess that 99.9% of viewers never read it.

Constructive feedback from user not just b!tching.

I am sure you realize that we have 3 very distinct groups of people on SnoWest.

#1. The active member who posts and contributes on a regular basis. This is our smallest user group by total size.

#2. The registered user who READS but seldom or never posts. This is our medium group.

#3. The non member who comes to SnoWest to find specific information for a specific question. This is the overwhelmingly largest group, and constitutes the largest total population of viewers of the site.

The #1 section of our forums for traffic is the SWAP MEET, and as you might have noticed it is at the VERY BOTTOM of the forums list, even though it is the most read of all the sections, and brings us the most traffic. The #2 are the Sled Forums. And you guessed it, the Sub-Categories in the Sled Forums were created to better serve the #2 and #3 user groups that come to the site looking for information specific to their sleds. Those categories make their life much easier in locating the information they are searching for.

Now, as for all the extra clicks you have to make to get to your content. I just don't see it??????

You arrive in SnoWest on the main FORUMS PAGE.
You scroll down to say ARCTIC CAT, and make you one and only click to see BROWSE ALL and your reading all the posts. EXACTLY like you were before we added the sub-forums. Where are all these extra clicks and extra scrolling?????

And as for everything fitting on your screen. You and I both know that is a function of "your" screen size and your screen resolution. the data that is displayed on your screen will vary WILDLY from what another person sees.

On my screen, I can see 100% of
SnowMembers
SnowMobiles
SnowTalk
and just the upper tip of SwapMeet.

======

All that said.
Your comments were echoed by many people that met with us over the weekend in Boise at the SnowShow. But in EVERY SINGLE CASE they were not using the BROWSE ALL feature. Not a single person that came by the booth understood that that feature was installed so you would NOT have to enter into any of the sub-forums in order to read all of the posts for the entire forum.

We are honestly looking for a WIN-WIN solution here. One that serves our loyal active reader/posters, and one that serves the tens of thousands of visitors that pass though our site every month.

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I for one appreciate the lay out of the sub forums. I own Revs, and when looking for REV info, I can go straight to REVS.
Lookin for XP info, straight to XP, want to browse hit browse all.
Works pretty sweet!
:beer;

oh, but hey, i'm just one of thos PostWhores that are just ruinin this place for everybody.
never mind ;) :beer;

Last edited:
N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
........#1. The active member who posts and contributes on a regular basis. This is our smallest user group by total size............

For the most part I support what you are doing here. BUT, I just want to point out something that seems to be escaping your attention with the repeated theme that "SW is changing to work for everyone and NOT just for the people that frequently posts":

Without #1 (the smallest group and the complainers), there would be nothing for group 2 and 3 (by far the largest group) to read and no reason for them to come to SnoWest in the first place. And of course no reason for your advertisers to buy banners on this site, which is what this is ultimately all about.

I don't envy your task here. You will NOT be able to please everyone. There are a lot of jerks here that live to complain and offer little in the way of any useful input. Still, I already see the tone of this forum going south. if you ignore the users they will go elsewhere. :(

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Hopefully we will negotiate the land mines and find a safe path forward that offers something for everyone.

A

Adrenaline Revolution

Nov 17, 2002
In the foothills of the Cascades
Very nice website, and very user friendly!!

Josh Zieske
Very nice website, and very user friendly!!

Josh Zieske

Funoutfitters.Com
If you follow us on Twitter, Facebook, myspace, or youtube,

you will find tons of videos, pictures, and daily contests allowing for customers to win a percentage off their order or free shipping!

Why wouldn't you like it...All the free advertising you could ever want to peddle your stuff and it's just like all the other teen places you advertise on .
You sound like Eddie Haskel.

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
cool

Shame about the boat though......

:beer;:beer;:beer;

For those very few of you who really want to know more about me....

After graduation with a degree in Political Science, I spent 3 years in the 82nd Airborne Division as a Combat Medic in the 82nd Aviation Brigade, 1/17th Air Cav. While serving in the Army I became a SCUBA instructor and married the love of my life, my lovely wife Suzanne. After completing my service in the Military we decided to move back to Boulder Colorado and raise our family. With the advent of the Iraq war, I received a presidential "invitation" to return to active duty for operation Desert Storm. At the conclusion of that, life settled down a bit...

In Boulder I started working in the PC hardware business selling and building custom business computers. One thing led to another and I ended up in the software business, writing custom code. This eventually led me to open my own corporation selling software into the SCUBA industry. For the next 5 years I grew this business in Boulder all the while being "heavily" involved in the growing Internet with an online store and forums. Then in 2002 we decided to relocate the company to Lake Havasu Arizona in hope of lowing the cost of operations following the evisceration of the industry from the 9-11 attacks and ensuing travel scare.

In Havasu I picked up a new hobby, Jet-Skiing on the Lake. The lake was 90 miles long, and in the summertime would hit surface temps of over 90 degrees. Riding became a daily event for me and my employees. We would close the office at 4:00 and suit up and head out. Life was good, for a few more years. After 10 years it was time to close down that business and try something new. That something new was custom boat manufacturing. My stepfather had been building boats for 42 years and offered me a chance to try my hand at the family business. The next several years found me still on the lake, but now in a high speed boat giving demo rides to potential customers. But when I wasn't on the lake, I was spending more and more time back on the Internet in various enthusiast forums.

Over the next year or two I had worked my way up from being a regular Member, to Moderator, to Super Moderator to Admin and then finally I I made the owner an offer he couldn't refuse and just bought the whole site from him. Now for the first time I was a forum Admin and an owner. My eyes were opened to all kinds of opportunities and challenges to running a large online community.

Meanwhile, the previous owner of that forum I bought makes me an offer to move to Idaho and come work for him full time. And that is how I ended up here in Rigby Idaho with another new passion in my life, Snowmobiling. Sold the boat and the Jekskis, packed up the family and moved up north to a whole new lifestyle in January of 2007!! And to be quite honest, it was the best decision of my life! I absolutely LOVE living here in Idaho every bit as much as I did Colorado.

Special Skills and Qualifications

• • EMT Certified, (Emergency Medical Technician)
  • • BCLS Certified, (Basic Cardiac Life Support)
  • • BTLS Certified, (Basic Trauma Life Support)
  • • ACLS Certified, (Advanced Cardiac Life Support)
  • • UHMS, Member, Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society.
  • • FEMA Certified, Radiological Monitor.
  • • FEMA Certified, Shelter Manager.
  • • AFSD Certified Civilian Parachutist.
  • • AAUS, Member, American Academy of Undersea Scientists.
  • • US Army Certified, Combat Parachutist (3 years active military airborne status).
  • • BATF Licensed Firearms Dealer, 9 years.
  • • US Army, Expert Marksman.
  • • US Air Force Aux, Civil Air Patrol (Deputy Commander for Cadets).
  • • California Office of Emergency Services.
  • • Colorado Ground Search & Rescue.
  • • BSA, Boy Scouts of America, Scout Master & Cub Master.
  • • FAA Licensed Pilot; Single Engine Land, to 6 Passengers.
  • • Scuba Diving Instructor, General & Technical.
  • • TDI, Instructor, Technical Diving International.
  • • NAUI, Instructor, National Association of Underwater Instructors.
  • • Well Skilled in: General Weapons, Mountain & Desert Survival, Land Navigation, Disaster Preparedness, Food Storage, Shelter Construction, Wilderness First Aid, etc.

S

sledchick

Nov 26, 2007
NSL, UT
Christopher, I was curious as to what other forums you were a part of? And the links? Thanks!

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
Christopher, I have a question.

It is not meant to start a sh!tstorm, I just want to know, would you please answer............

Will the new Snowest forum share a server with your other owned forum, "AVOW"?

Thanx, SLIM.

Last edited:
I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
Thanx for your PM reply to me Christopher, I appreciate your candor. No further reply needed. Based on your reply, I will stay, watch and hope the new forum works out for all of us.

Last edited:
C
Nov 26, 2007
Christopher, I have a question.

It is not meant to start a sh!tstorm, I just want to know, would you please answer............

Will the new Snowest forum share a server with your other owned forum, "AVOW"?

Thanx, SLIM.

Hi Chris

Any chance of sending a pm...I was wondering the same.

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
heh heh

I can come up with about 4 lines of qualifications for myself.... Mind you I have thousands of adventures to talk about. I think I am a man of life.... not leisure.

Tiz the story of my life.

What was the question???

WTF do politics have to do with being correct???

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
I've not read through the entire thread but I read the first part where you said you bought the forum. I also read a thread where the head guy of Snowest said they were turning it over to you. I think you've done an excellent job with improving the site.

I've always felt that Snowest was a far better forum than a magazine. But just like the magazine I never paid anything. When I bought a new sled it seemed like I'd end up getting a free subscription to Snowest for a year. When it stopped coming I didn't miss it. I've been a poster on SnoWest since around the early part of this decade under differnet user names so I'm familiar with the history. I'll be a bit bummed when this forum becomes a pay site but I'll just go to another free site. There is and was a lot of good info on here, but I contribute to that info so I don't feel I should have to pay for it. I just wanted to post my opinion and I wish the forum the best of luck.

I guess I don't understand how other free forums can survive while some feel the need to charge? Didn't American Snowmobiler do this back in '98? How did that work out for them? Not trying to be a dick, I'm just saying.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I've not read through the entire thread but I read the first part where you said you bought the forum. I also read a thread where the head guy of Snowest said they were turning it over to you. I think you've done an excellent job with improving the site.
Just so everyone is here is 100% clear in this.

I did NOT buy the SnoWest Forums, nor do I have any ownership in it at all!.

This forum is 100% owned by SnoWest Magazine, which is owned by Harris Publishing, of which I am NOT a owner/stockholder.

Premium Features