• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine cutting out possible recall on reverse button

B
Jan 17, 2008
NorCal
So I had my 2017 Mountain Cat with around 400 miles started cutting out after it would warm up mainly when on the throttle up hill or trying not to get stuck and taking off. Ended up disconnecting the reverse button and ran great second half of the day, put it back on on the way in and first climb cut out. Disconnected and ran great. Called Michelle our great Cat Lady and she contacted Arctic Cat and said they have had some problems with them and it sounds like they are going to do a recall. Not sure what year sleds affected but this would be an easy check on the mountain if you are having problems with the motor cutting out.

B
Jan 17, 2008
NorCal
The sled was cutting out almost like power button having problems cutting on and off and would sometimes die. And to add an update to this still waiting on replacement part but went out yesterday and again had problems. Reverse still disconnected and after 15 min or so getting back into the descent stuff sled was acting like i needed to gas it out to clean it out and when I was able to was cutting out, went to do a hill climb and bout 150 ft up just died like the kill switch was hit. Ended up messing with reconnecting the reverse disconnecting the TSS and still had sled dying on me. Ended up disconnecting everything in the throttle block I could, reverse TSS and kill switch. Ran pretty good but still would cut out here and there. I`m thinking the recall or problem may be the whole throttle assembly, there is 2 points which dig into the bar and not sure if that is a part of the grounding which would be a bad idea since that can be moved up and down and connection would be compromised. I am no mechanic by any means and hope the replacement part takes care of the problem.
And just found out no recall on this but replaced under warranty. Not sure if whole throttle assembly or just back half with reverse and kill switch side cause part is not here yet.

Last edited:

bopper

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
elkford,bc
Sounds like floats in your tank possibly, mine did this. Ran great until some fuel was gone then would do as your describing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B
Jan 17, 2008
NorCal
Not sure about what floats in tank are but i rode it previous ride and after disconnecting reverse ran great rest of the day and plugged reverse back in and cut out right away on a hill unplugged and was fine...until my next ride. So thinking its grounding out maybe?

B
Jan 17, 2008
NorCal
So update after riding yesterday after replacing back half of throttle had same results ran great for bout 20 min then could barely notice a slight miss in the motor here and there and then go to climb and just die like the kill switch was hit. Would start up again sometimes first pull maybe 2 or three but start right away. Not sure what is going on but the reverse button or throttle assembly is not the problem. I did have hood and tank off for running boards install before all of this started but I can't find anything wrong from that. Wish my closest dealer wasn't 2hrs away:(

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Just as “bopper” stated in post #4, it sounds like a fuel pickup issue in your tank. Especially cause it happens uphill. Might wanna siphon all fuel out and have a look in there and or take fuel pick-up/pump assembly out for a better look.

When u had the tank off maybe a line got pinched routed in such a way to restrict flow.

B
Jan 17, 2008
NorCal
I do appreciate any and all responses just don`t think it is a fuel problem and hope I don`t end up fighting this problem only to find out it is. But does not happen just up hill I can hear a slight miss when it gets heated up after riding for a bit. And after pulling tank back off and not finding anything pinched, pulled off the protective cover for the main wiring harness that runs along the pull start recoil cover and the protective foil type cover itself has burn holes in it and found a 2 wire connector that has bare mark on the green/white wire from rubbing on the recoil case the wire next to it is brown/green. Wire color on other side of the connector is Blue/White and Brown/Green which diagram shows is for timing sensor #2 I am hoping this is my problem. Will make a fix and hope to go test it out tomorrow.

B
Jan 22, 2016
I have pretty much the exact same sort of bog earlier this season. Mine was a grounding issue, my chain case was broken right below a ground wire and it would flex apart when I would pull hard on the bars, hit bumps, and steep pulls, creating a bog. So look around make sure everything is tight.

B
Jan 17, 2008
NorCal
So went out today after taping up the bare wire and tie wrapped the whole main harness so it is off the motor and sled ran awesome. So make sure you check main wire harness that has protective cover over it. It only protects so much as mine had holes burned in it straight thru to the unprotected wire:(

Premium Features