• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Beacon=confused

P
Dec 17, 2009
Timberlakes
Thats a great thing to know how to use the older beacons, because if you are good with the older style you will be great with the newer style. And who doesn't like a little competition with some money on the line, makes things fun!

Also he did tell me directly, that he doesn't really care what beacon people use, yes he wanted people on BCA but he said as long as they are on a newer style good beacon he doesn't really care.

And I'm not saying 2 antenna beacons don't work, and yes certain people can make them work well. But at the end of the day if you are looking to get a beacon and have the best possible chance of survival when being burried the antenna beacons are best.

When I go back and read my old posts they always come across more aggressive then I thought they were when I was writing them…

No aggressiveness read on my part man. I am Friday night drunk and pretty sure my writing can be misconstrued. You are completely correct that 3 IS better. I guess I am just trying to support the original sentiment of the oporater is more important than the gear.

If buying a new beacon, ABSOLUTELY get the best available ( tech wise not so much extra features)

Point is I want KNOW I WILL find you if it goes down. To ensure this, I know my gear and am humble to the power od an avy.

BTW, I got buried once by some dicks ski cutting above me. Also found a buddy who got burried after dropping a chuted cliff. Mostly his own sluff, but full burial. I know the beacon I found him with, but it had NOTHING to do with finding him. I found him due to practice.

Get what you get and PRACTICE. The best part is, this whole thread is about staying safe

YAMA S

Lifetime Membership
May 16, 2012
W. Wa.
I absolutely love my ortovox beacon. It's so simple even my 9yr old can operate it. It can also track up to 3 people buried at one time which could come in handy. My suggestion is to buy the most SIMPLE easy to operate beacon as possible. If your in a super high stress situation the last thing you want is a electronic devise that's complicated to operate no matter how much "practice" time you've had.

P
Dec 17, 2009
Timberlakes
I absolutely love my ortovox beacon. It's so simple even my 9yr old can operate it. It can also track up to 3 people buried at one time which could come in handy. My suggestion is to buy the most SIMPLE easy to operate beacon as possible. If your in a super high stress situation the last thing you want is a electronic devise that's complicated to operate no matter how much "practice" time you've had.

Yes, the easier the device to use, the less confusion there will be in a stressful situation. I am a little concerned how much importance you place on the beacon itself and seem to dismiss practice.

If you have simulations to the point of automatic, then you are relying on your skills and not the device. How about if your beacon decides to malfunction. I have "practiced" so much that I can begin a recovery without a beacon. I have been on recoveries where a beacon was not worn by the burial victims, yet we found them alive.

But I guess if I had my,easy to use beacon, I would have been fine without practice. An avy is serious business and you want to be as practiced as possible so as to take away the stress of the event. If my beacon is not as simple as yours, but I am well versed with my device- it removes the dificulty level as I will be VERY familiar with it.

So again, practice, practice, practice. Please do not dismiss this portion as you want to be automatic when the sh*t goes down.

YAMA S

Lifetime Membership
May 16, 2012
W. Wa.
I 110% AGREE WITH YOU POWDR!!! Practice, practice & more practice. I was just speaking more of having a beacon that's easy to use & works well. I've seen some of these new style beacons that are very over complicated & not so user friendly. That was my only point.

Premium Features