• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2007 800r tail light and tach lights quit working..help !!!!

A
Nov 23, 2006
Anchorage
I was riding this weekend and near the end of my ride I noticed my sled bogging at a low rpm but when I WOT it would get up and go with no bog. It was not running normal. Then after about 10 minutes of this my tach/speedo and fuel gauge lights went out ( head lights still worked ) I stopped to see what the heck was going on and the guy I was riding with told me that my tail lights were not working all day ( news to me ) We checked the fuses and sure enough one was blown. I used the fuse to my headlights to see if that was the problem and as soon as I put it in it and started the sled it popped. I had to ride back in the dark with no lights ( note to self: bring spare fuses )

From what I have read on here it sounds like a relay problem ? How do I check that and is that something the dealer should stock ?

Could it be something else ? I dont have much time to work on this sled before the weekend because we are swamped at work and I have to work a double shift tomorrow ( 16 hours ) I really want to fix this before the weekend so any help would be great, thanks again for any input

S
Dec 21, 2007
On an '07 that chit should be warranty. When my relay went I lost all accessory electrics at once, no blown fuse. check the main plug into your mpem there were corrosion issues there.

C
Dec 22, 2007
Ya their is a black relay on the left side above the air box that has a tie strap that holds it in place, sounds like the problem. If not pull the plug on your computer under the hood, and make sure their is no water in their. if their is dry it out and fill it up with dielectrical grease ( push plug back in slowly or you can hydralic the connector pins in the computer ) don't use a air compressor to blow it out, this can cause static and harm the computer.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Would almost bet money it's the relay. $40 bucks CND from a dealer for a sealed relay. Lordco sells the non-sealed relays that will work for $10 or soemthing like that. Good for back-ups if needed. I know of a few guys that have run the lordco relays for a quite a few rides(half season or longer) before switching them out.

Seeing more and more sleds with the problem though.Mostly a few years old.

M

Maxwe

Dec 1, 2007
Alberta
I thought if it was the relay the headlights would not work and why would it blow the fuze?

A
Nov 23, 2006
Anchorage
exactly what I was thinking. Why am I blowing fuses ? I have not had a chance to look at it yet and will hopefully get a chance this weekend. Im sure glad I bought a back up sled because this sled is out of commision so much. Might just take it back to the dealer and let them figure it out. I did install HID lights before the winter but I have about 400 trouble free miles out of them ( Im willing to bet that they will say its because of the HID's that im having the electrical problem ) Just like them to do that to me

S
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
I guessing it is not the relay. blowing fuses means too much load or a short some where. Relays do not most of the time short out when the go bad they just stop switching the circuit.

D

deadcat

Nov 27, 2007
Castle Rock CO
My sled did the exact same thing last week. $111 dollars later my sled is fixed for now. What causes a relay to go bad? (i have no lights, lead dog at night) Where do you get the $10 replacements if this happens again.

Premium Features