• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

To mod my m7 or to get a m8 ?? Need help please!!

C
Mar 20, 2011
So got some extra money to spend and cant decide what to do. I just did some maintenance and clutching to my sled and a compression check its all good has more "snap" and power but need more. I dont really want to spend much more then $500-$700 or so on mods. I was thinking used twin pipes and fuel controller ive seen them for around $400. Anything else you guys would recommend for my sled ? If i do that id be into my sled for about $5500 could i sell it and get a m8 for that ? I thought its not worth it cause i would probably have to spend more then that to bring it across the boarder and plus it probably wouldnt have as much power. What should i do ?Also i thought later maybe add a rkt tek head. Also if anyone has pipes or a control box ,head or any other parts for my sled please pm me.

Also heres the info on my sled (just copied my sig off another forum)

Black 2006 m7 efi 153'',snow eliminators,venting,ice scratchers,mbrp can,slp inner wheel kit,aftermarket grips,slp big air intake,boss seat,Custom decal kit from Htr,tether,no sway bar,slp green & pink primary,white Ac secondary .Need to install my 65g Ac weights,6'' bar riser.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
I think it's waste of money getting pipe(s)/head/stuff for 6 or 7 engine. Only reasonable way to increase power of small bores is getting big bore :) After that you would like to get 10.4" secondary and rear bumper conversion. If you still have money, get float conversion to drop weight.

If you do not want to do those mods, keep it as it's now and save some money to get PIPED M8 -09 or newer. I think there's no sense geting M8 -07 or -08 over M7 -06.

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
I didnt see it in your list, but if you keep it put a power claw on it. Frees up quite a few horsepower just by decreasing rolling resistance. I know the 700 responds good to a high compression head at higher altitudes.

C
Mar 20, 2011
I think it's waste of money getting pipe(s)/head/stuff for 6 or 7 engine. Only reasonable way to increase power of small bores is getting big bore :) After that you would like to get 10.4" secondary and rear bumper conversion. If you still have money, get float conversion to drop weight.

If you do not want to do those mods, keep it as it's now and save some money to get PIPED M8 -09 or newer. I think there's no sense geting M8 -07 or -08 over M7 -06.

well im younger and ive been trying to compete in climbing competitions but i kind of want to stay in the 700 class cause i only way 160lbs and if i go into the 800 class if i have even a can im running against guys with honestly everything except turbos. Everyone acts like the m7's are good sleds to mod, you dont agree ? A m7 with pipes can a fuel controller and a head would have more power then a stock m8. Also why do you say get something 09 or newer ? Whats wrong with the 07 and 08s ?

C
Mar 20, 2011
I didnt see it in your list, but if you keep it put a power claw on it. Frees up quite a few horsepower just by decreasing rolling resistance. I know the 700 responds good to a high compression head at higher altitudes.

Ya well i usually ride about 6000 ft. So you didnt really say should i keep the m7 and mod it or look for a m8 ? Also would you say 09 or newer like the guy above ?

nomasittinright

Premium Member
Feb 5, 2009
Aberdeen SD
Hey many miles on it why are you selling it ? Also its yours i wouldnt know where to start,what would you like for it ?

It only has 4 rides on fresh pistons. I bought it for a buddy that never came through with his end of the deal. I already have a d&d 900 so I don't need two. I would like to get 1000 out of it or I could do 500 with exchange of your stock top end as long as it is in good shape

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
I have a set of SLP twins I would sell for $350.00.. They have individual stingers vs. a single can.. Nice pipes..

The 700 punched out to an 800 will out perform and out power ANY of the 2007-2009 800 Cats.. It is a much better platform to mod.
I would get some better cluthcing and run it..

C
Mar 20, 2011
I have a set of SLP twins I would sell for $350.00.. They have individual stingers vs. a single can.. Nice pipes..

The 700 punched out to an 800 will out perform and out power ANY of the 2007-2009 800 Cats.. It is a much better platform to mod.
I would get some better cluthcing and run it..

Ive talked to you guys before and you told me to go to slp and thats what i did i went and talked with dustin at slp and i went green and pink slp primary white ac secondary and 65g weights and kept my straight 36 helix it has power but still not enough. Also whats better about the individual stingers ?

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
If I were you and if you have the money, I would try to find a 10/11 M8. The m7 is a great sled and if done right can have alot of power, but your going to find out it is worth the same or less the more you do to it. People want to buy reliable used sleds, modding is for your own enjoyment. A stock 10/11 m8 that is clutched right will shock you what it can do. A 10/11 800 is going to put you over the horsepower of a pretty done up m7 and if you want more for the 800, there are a bunch of companies that make go fast parts for it. So if you have the money and want some of the perks of the newer models upgrade, if you like the 700 and are comfortable tuning and modding, you can keep it.

C
Mar 20, 2011
Ya i know but i dont have alot more money and i looked at it this way i cant find any 09 + m8 for about $4800 (that would put me at about $5500 once i import it into canada) my only other choice is buying a modded m7 but that always scares me cause you never know what all they have done or how they have rode it. Also like i said i firgure i could get more power out of my m7 with twins and a fuel controller then a 07-09 m8 and if i put a rk tek head on that would be extra. Also even if i could find a newer m8 i doubt they will be in that price rang and its more hassle and im technically starting all over have to check everything over and retune/clutch it again.

C
Mar 20, 2011
If I were you and if you have the money, I would try to find a 10/11 M8. The m7 is a great sled and if done right can have alot of power, but your going to find out it is worth the same or less the more you do to it. People want to buy reliable used sleds, modding is for your own enjoyment. A stock 10/11 m8 that is clutched right will shock you what it can do. A 10/11 800 is going to put you over the horsepower of a pretty done up m7 and if you want more for the 800, there are a bunch of companies that make go fast parts for it. So if you have the money and want some of the perks of the newer models upgrade, if you like the 700 and are comfortable tuning and modding, you can keep it.

Also i havnt been on this site and it tends to have better prices so lets say for a average or like pipe 2010 m8 what price rang are they usually at ?

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
^^^ what he said. If I was in your boat I'd leave it alone and start saving money for a newer sled. No matter what you put into it, you'll never get it back. If you're set on keeping it for a long time you can't go wrong with an RKTek big bore. I've loved every minute of mine!!

C
Mar 20, 2011
^^^ what he said. If I was in your boat I'd leave it alone and start saving money for a newer sled. No matter what you put into it, you'll never get it back. If you're set on keeping it for a long time you can't go wrong with an RKTek big bore. I've loved every minute of mine!!

Theres alot of modded m7s in the classifieds right now do you think its worth getting one ? It just scares me cause theres always **** your fking with and you dont know how it was treated, when you have problems with a stock sled its usually not bad to solve but a modded sled with problems is a whole different story.

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
Tuning

If you start putting pipes and other mods you will need to retune, refuel, and reclutch. If you want a strong, stock appearing 700. Contact Dakota performance, Inc in wishek, nd. They have a ported package with stock pipe mod good for 160+horse with a fuel controller.

C
Mar 20, 2011
In nd wheres that ? Im near nelson/castlegar BC area. Also have any idea on the price ? Also it doesnt have to appear totally stock as long as its not a 800 + its ok if its a modded 700

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
m7 options

so hard to say just what you should do, not sure how and where you ride.

if you have to write checks and can't do the mods yourself, put on a power claw track and ride it until you can afford more sled. Your chassis and suspension is really ok boondocking and riding powder until you get to the new 2012 Pc. thousand ways to throw money at the sled, like other mention, you 're going to leave the $$$ on the table when you sell, cuase 7's are now 3000 sleds no matter how many trinkets you hang on it.

Money spent riding the M7 is the best investment.

Premium Features