• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Apex-issue reinstalling chaincase

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
Hey guys,

I went to change out my track today, everything came out fine. When I put it back together it seems like I am short about 1/8" to be able to put everything back together on the secondary shaft. I tightened the nut as tight as I could, reinstalled the chaincase cover but when I put the collar with that little star bolt, the collar I am short on being able to put that key in so I can slide the brake rotor on.

I then took it all back off and tried to see if I could tap the shaft over further from the secondary clutch side, with no luck. I put it back together just to see and am still in the same boat.

Everything was fine when I took it apart so I was wondering if anyone has ran into this, is there any adjustment I need to be looking at? I'm a little confused at this point because I didn't change anything from disassembly to reassembly.

P
Oct 16, 2009
jaffray bc
there is two collars that go behind the top and bottom gear, the bottom one is wider, are you sure you dont have them backwards ? wider one should be on the bottom, hope this helps.

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
Yea I made sure I laid everything out in the order I removed it. Everything seems to line up good on the inside of the case. But it seems when I out the outer cover on there is not enough of the shaft sticking out from the outer bearing to the end. And to me it seems like it wouldn't matter if I even put the top gear on because the outer case can only go flush with the inner case.

Just seems to me like the shaft needs to be pulled over further.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

J

jr_amsoil

Dec 6, 2007
bismarck, nd
push the collar in further that has the lil allen screw and it will go together just fine. push hard. you dont have it in far enough

J

jr_amsoil

Dec 6, 2007
bismarck, nd
im betting you had it all put back together correctly. the collar will tuck in another 1/4'' or more. therefore giving you the room to put the key on the shaft for brake rotor.

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
I have made sure that the one with the star is pushed all the way in.

I have attached some pictures to show how much I am short to get the brake on.

You can see that the wear on the shaft where the collar is supposed to go and when the collar is actually on. You can see the key won't quite fit. I have also attached a picture if I left the key out and put the brake on there is not enough room to put the snap ring, and that is without the two small shims in place.

I also have between 1/8" and 1/4" of play on my secondary. Is there any way the driveshaft could move when the chaincase is out?

IMG_20101213_063754.jpg IMG_20101213_063803.jpg IMG_20101213_063830.jpg IMG_20101213_063926.jpg

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
Man I did this awhile back and it took me 4 hours of constant looking at the fiche to get it straightend back out. You have a collar/washer misplaced somewhere.

You will have to go over with a fine tooth comb and make sure each item is 100% correct. When I did after this is use a big zip tie and as things come off I put them on the zip tie or wire and set them asside in assemblies, one for outside case, and 1 for top gear and 1 for bottom gear.

Mine was so misplaced I dont remember what I did and on the last assembly it was perfect.

Good luck!

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
The thing I am most hung up on is that really no matter what is going on internally, as long as the case is tight to the chassis and the cover is tight to the case there is only so much distance between the outer bearing on the chaincase cover and the end of the shaft.

I went over it for a couple of hours tonight with no more luck. Everything internally lines up great and the big nut has plenty of threads. It is just from the outercase bearing to the end of the shaft I am coming up short and not sure why.

Anyone else have any ideas?

T
Mar 30, 2010
thats not the right collar it won't work that way take it back apart and double check everything and get on portyamaha.com and look at there online fiche to help you out with assembly. hate to hear about how u lost the rotor off the sled and crashed it.

J

jr_amsoil

Dec 6, 2007
bismarck, nd
when i get by my sled i will look at mine to see how the collars go. i just did mine recently but went together good. the one collar doesnt seem right for some reason. the one in front of brake rotor.

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
I think I am going to pull the shaft to inspect and reinstall.

My sled also has reverse, not sure if what you guys have is the same. On mine I'm supposed to have a small collar and two small shims on the outside of the brake after the collar and before the snap ring.

T

tard

Nov 28, 2007
If I had to guess, its either the collar on the upper shaft behind the gear is swapped with the lower, or the 36 mm nut is not tight enough causing the upper shaft to sit "heavy" on the clutch side. Easy way to check is to see if you have the 15mm offset on the clutches. Your outer spacers look correct, I just did a Apex the other day.

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
Yea I know my two spacers on the upper and lower are correct, since with the reverse it is a really small collar on the lower.

I have between 1/8" and 1/4" of "float" on my secondary right now, which makes me think the shaft needs to go towards the chaincase side to tighten that slack up.

I decided to order a new bearing, and collar for the secondary side, I'll take it apart and install the new bearing and collar and see if that makes the difference.

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Yea I know my two spacers on the upper and lower are correct, since with the reverse it is a really small collar on the lower.

I have between 1/8" and 1/4" of "float" on my secondary right now, which makes me think the shaft needs to go towards the chaincase side to tighten that slack up.

I decided to order a new bearing, and collar for the secondary side, I'll take it apart and install the new bearing and collar and see if that makes the difference.

My secondary has the same play,I have been told that is normal.

Premium Features