• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MCX 270hp Nitro fuel question

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I have a friend that is just having a Nitro built for him and he is wondering what fuel he needs to run in it.
They are saying mix race gas with premium as it needs 103 octane.Can he run straight 100ll av gas?
The kit they are installing is the MCX 270 with the 19 t turbo.

Thanks in advance.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
my riding buddy has a 270 mcx nitro. mixes 50/50 av and premium also runs that in his turbo rx1

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
The kit is designed for pump premium 16lbs at sea level ! At altitude you will see 18 ish psi at 7000ft. Running race adds a little security thats it. I know lots of guys running pump premium Shell 91 in the MCX kits. Ask Climbmax about his. 10000km on pump premium running the auto compensator. I would believe Randy before anyone else. Email Erik from MCX he will tell you the same thing. Guys get way to freaked out about this ! Lots of threads about it, lots of guys and dealers uneducated about it also. Pick your poison LOL

R

ROBERTSONYAMAHA

Oct 28, 2010
Swift Current,SK
This kit is happy running premium 91 oct. fuel. It doesn't hurt to go 50/50 but all your doing is giving yourself a little more security against issues. I tell all of our guys to run just 91, if they want to run higher octane that is their choice and their money.lol. Most just run premium though, I just tell em to stick to shell and etc. AVOID CO-OP!!! haha. haven't had a ounce of trouble with a 270mcx yet. 16lbs boost at sea level, 18ish at higher altitudes. set it and ride. And yes, Swenson has over 10K on his running pump fuel. Awesome Kits!

gulfi

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Kiruna, Sweden
Premium?

hello a guy from sweden here...

so 91 oct is premium for you?

becaus we only have 95, 96 and 98 oct as pumgas over here, and mcx always say run 98. there is even a sticker for the fueltank that says only 98 oct in the kit.

i´m just curious.

and is it good to run race gas in a engine witch i set up for pump gas?
is 103 oct not burning a little bit slower then 95 oct?

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
Hey Dave,

I would really be hesitant to run 16lbs at low elevation. Some say you can, some say you can't. I was told 12lbs on premium at low elevation from my dealer. I think at 16lbs it's a ticking bomb that will go eventually. To be cautious I would say at minimum mix AV and premium 50/50 or just run straight AV. Depending on where you are and the price of premium vs AV I would just buy AV and run it straight.

My .02

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
There are actually three diffrent octane ratings, here in Europe we use RON (Research octane) and in US PON (Pump Octane Number) is used, PON is a result of two octane rating tests RON + MON (Motor Octane) / 2.
Here confusion starts, our Premium is 98 RON and 90 MON which is actually 94 PON,
But everyone says Premium 91 (PON) is the same as our 98 RON, so i guess we have diffrent fuel, doesen't Canada have Premium 94?
Anyhow, MCX build their kit's to use Premium, so they are tested and verified during several years to run it, and performs best on it, so i agree with "ROBERTSONYAMAHA", there's no need to run higher octane fuel, it's up to everyone if they want to do it for any reason.

gulfi

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Kiruna, Sweden
And by pounds you mean psi?

So 16 psi is just over 1,1 Bar/110kPa in pressure.

I run my nytro with 220kPa on the display peaking @232kPa, so 120kPa/17.4psi in overpressure peaking @ 19,1psi.

And i run it on 98oct fuel, so far 2500 miles on it witout any problems...

ok the first engine blew up but only cause the pressure was WAY to high, and the rods were bent and one broke in three :-/

Premium Features