• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First start up issue 08 nytro diy

Started my diy turbo 08 nytro tonight and have some questions. When I start it up and at idle it is clean and free of smoke but when I give it throttle Smoke pours out the exhaust. Oil is also spitting out. How much oil pressure is coming from the motor? ( I am t'd in at the sensor). I had a facet pump hooked up but it really didn't seam to do much acted more like a restriction. Should the pressure coming from the motor to the turbo be restricted? I took the line off the turbo and it is pumping a ton of oil.

And just a side question. Does it matter witch way the oil lines go into the turbo delivery and return? Its just that the way I have the turbo mounted the original drain is on the top and the original intake side is on the bottom.

Does the way the side the oil is delivered to the turbo have anything to do with the ease of rotation of the wheels?

Thanks. I am using a 16t Mitsubishi turbo.[/i]

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
You should have an orifice or jet thats a certain size,, I cant recall what size orifice is in my PL line but Im sure Dave or Darren @ PL would help you out.. Inlet is on top of bearing housing and outlet on bottom.. At least on my garrett..

Good luck

red

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Im not sure if Im reading 100% what you wrote. It sounds like you have the supply on the bottom, drain to the top? Drain needs to be the bottom. The BB garrett turbos need a orfice, think its .035"thou. Think the mcx turbo doesnt need anything as its not a bb turbo. But I have been wrong before.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
sleeve bearing turbos (mitsu, holset, etc) need alot more pressure than ball bearing turbos (such as garrett's) sounds like the seals in the turbo are out to me.

I understand I sounds stupid to have the drain at the top and input side on the bottom but what is the actual reason. Is it just because the input side is a banjo fitting with slightly smaller passages restricting the flow?( if so I may be able to build a larger fitting to fit in the place of the banjo). Or is there more to the oil passages in the turbo then I am thinking. (please explain). Also if I have ran it a few times doing this will the seals be screwed? ( started up and brought to temp in the garage not ran around the yard)

The amount of oil being pumped to this turbo just seams like an awfull lot.I know they need lots of oil but full engine oil pressure??

If I feed the oil into the banjo fitting on the bottom and pump it back from the drain on the top will that work?

Thanks for your replies. Try to explain when you give me a possible problem so I understand better. ( I like to learn exactly what's going on)

Ok I just talked to a guy I know who knows about turbos and he told me how to twist the center. Any suggestions on what I should be using for a pump to return the oil? Trying to keep it as long cost as possible but if I need to buy an expensive pump I will.

Thanks.

B
Dec 18, 2007
It sounds like you are building too much preassure. Unlike ball bearing kits our kits run an unrestricted input line. Oil travels through the bearing then in to a resovoir below the turbo. we run a large return line as well as a vent line that runs to the main ven line for your engine oil resovoir. The mitsu turbos do not have an oil seal so if you are building preassure it will push in to the exhaust.

LL

Premium Features