• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Egt ???

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
mine reads 1250 to 1325 when its running at its best. there is a big power difference between 1100 and 1250 so i would consider 1100 and any less to be way rich

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
Every engine IS different and it is critical to correlate EGT numbers with plug/piston wash checks. Keep in mind as well that as the fuel mix leans out, EGT numbers will peak, then begin to fall as detonation sets in. Don't automatically assume that a low EGT reading means you're "safe".

R

RidnHigh

Dec 2, 2007
Spokane Washington
Edge, and i figured 1300 is a great number to hit! Should I put the probes as close the the power valves a possible?

put them as far out as you can on the Y pipe...be sure not to go too far out and get mixed flow though. About where these holes are on this picture....

Untitled.jpg

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
why are they different from engine to engine? what plays a role in the different egts like lets say a pipe for an example does it change from stock to a slp pipe then from stock pipe to twin pipes even from an slp single to twins?

D
why are they different from engine to engine? what plays a role in the different egts like lets say a pipe for an example does it change from stock to a slp pipe then from stock pipe to twin pipes even from an slp single to twins?

Aftermarket pipes generally make a motor run leaner then with the stock pipe...The difference in "safe" egt readings from my 600 and 800 may be due to the exhuast port size ,shape and timing....I suspect the 600 reads way higher because the flame is getting closer to the probe (even though the probes are located the same distance from the cylinder)

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
ic so your going off of the same general location "probes" and judgeing by wash and plugs. so your 600 and your 800 both have the same wash and plug color only difference is the egts, wich i could see because there two different engines, in thearoy the aftermarket pipe should only make it lean if it was makeing more power.

R

RidnHigh

Dec 2, 2007
Spokane Washington
I have always placed them further then that....Do you think another 1/2 " or so would see flow from the other cylinder?

Not necesarily...it very well could work, on my application i just felt that I needed to keep them as close as i could to 100% no mixed flow...its kinda crucial for my turbo set up to read correct...i would guess that a lil further wouldnt hurt...

Premium Features