• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What Happened to my Clutches?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I was riding and everything worked fine. I was pulling 8,250 while climbing and and I thought all was well until I did my post ride inspection and looked at my clutches. At first I thought I was seeing water droplets still on my clutches but after a while I realized they were little chips out of my clutch faces. I bought a replacement primary clutch but, I think my secondary may be salvageable?

My question to you is, I have been riding for many decades and I have never seen anything like this before. What would have caused this? I did add a vent in front of my clutches. Could it have been ice? I can't imagine ice being able to do this to a clutch face.

Attachments

• Resized Clutch Picture.jpg
    Resized Clutch Picture.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 197
  • Primary Damage.jpg
    Primary Damage.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 186
  • Resized Clutch Vent.jpg
    Resized Clutch Vent.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Do you have a phantom bolt in your brake rotor area?
I had one work out of my frame and drop down there a few weeks back. Luckily I found it before this happened. I did get a couple dimples like that, but nearly as pronounced. I found the bolt in that little area below the rotor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks line8, I didn't think so and found no evidence of what was left of a bolt in the clutch area.

I agree, it sure looks like it must have been a bolt or a nut but, why did it then stick with the belt and travel up and down the clutch faces? The belt looks fine as well.

Very perplexing!

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I did have a couple long cut marks on the top of my belt. I kept running it and it did go on the next ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
you have a piece of metal debris in the belly pan. I have seen the stem inside the back half rivet come out or lose it when you pull it.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
That makes sense and I suppose that could be true. It just seems that if a piece of metal got trapped between the belt and the clutch sheaves (which would be the only reason it could damage the entire clutch face up and down) wouldn't there be scape marks up and down the clutch faces?

These appear to be individual dings that seem to have come from perpendicular to the clutch faces.

Strange. It may still be functional but, I don't dare run it.

I think I may give the secondary a try though because it's not damaged nearly as badly.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Are there marks on your belt indicating anything? Like maybe it wedged itself into the side of the belt? Or in the valleys of it somehow? When you zoom on the pic, there are straight lighter type scratches, but you are right those are some aggressive holes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
The strange thing is, the belt looks perfect. Either the 0627-083 belts are pretty dang tough or for some reason the belt just wasn't damaged. Strange any way you look like it.

Storskogen

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2014
Sweden
Have you checked the bolts behind the driven clutch? On the non-Bigfin clutch they could break. Had a friend with similar cuts in the primary due to that.

M800 -13, Speedwerx full exhaust, PCV. BC WT 660T -06

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
No, I haven't looked at those bolts but, I will today. Thanks for the idea.

I think I will save the primary for parts but install a new one. I am thinking of buying a used secondary and swapping out the sheaves as well.

I just hope whatever it is doesn't happen again with a new primary.

Attachments

• Resized secondary.jpg
    Resized secondary.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Resized Secondary Clutch.jpg
    Resized Secondary Clutch.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Only takes a few seconds at 8250rpm to make a lot of marks. Very likely you have a partial piece of metal that stuck into the belt and made it around a few hundred times...or a few seconds.

The most common thing I've seen is a broken spring end (hook) getting in there and doing that.

This is why I regularly pull my belly pan and check for metal or debris...seems like there is always something in there.

As for the primary, you can machine the faces a bit and re-shim...same with the secondary. And some out there believe there is a better angle anyway...I think Racin Station will machine the faces. Could optimize your belt to clutch face angle and save the clutches.

Secondary...I'd clean up with scotch brite a bit and keep an eye out or cracks.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
you have clutch mites. open up the secondary and you should find their nest. find the queen and kill her, then they will abandon the nest and find a different sled.
some folks have used spiders to hunt the queen. that works too. :spider:

Premium Features