• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Changing pto side crank seal

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
Imo yes. I've seen guys do it without splitting the case and thats not my style. I would also highly recommend changing the outer pto crank bearing and checking the crank end run out.
When you run the engine and the pto seal goes out it typically burns down that cylinder due to the increase in air being brought in through the seal. This ingestion of air also sweeps oil off the outer pto bearings and they run dry and cause damage. I've seen guys just replace the seal only to turn right around and do bearings and crank. These motors were absolute powerhouses in the day. Still one of my favorites.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
PTO Seals

There are two and one in inboard of the bearings. If the inboard seal fails, the outer will fail shortly after. So best practice is to split the cases and replace all seals and inspect bearings. In most cases if you catch the issue right after the PTO seal shows symptoms - the bearings are still good and do not need to be replaced. This holds true for the iosflex lubed bearings as well.
New seals (and Iso if applicable) and you are good to go.

Premium Features