• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pro RMK Seat on an Indy Lite

B

barefooter

Nov 27, 2007
Sherwood Park, AB
Just trying to finish my boy's Indy Lite build. It looks like there have been a few folks who have done it?

I am trying to figure out a methods of fastening the front of the seat. The one picture shows what I want to achieve. The second is the gas tank itself. I can't see attaching it to the tank itself. It is pretty thin material and I don't thing would hold up to direct contact. Even with bracing and sealant, I still think the gas tank would sweat if I riveted through it.

That leads to fabricating a front brace to run from where cowl plastic meets the tunnel. There are brackets there I could tie into. However, that means making it a little wider where his knees are, and the goal is to make this "skinner build". (Stock seat forced his knees out at a wierd angle.

The other thought I had was to fabricate a brace that would run the middle of the seat into the braceing that attaches the tank to the tunnel. I just don't know if that is going to be enough strength up on the front of the seat.

What has everyone else done?

indy gas tank.JPG Indy seat.JPG

T

Trax 2 Treadz

May 14, 2009
Medicine Hat, AB
www.trax2treadz.com
Something like this comes to mind without having a closer look at the bottom of the seat. Tie the center support to the back bracket on your seat and you should be good to go.
A LED brake light attached to the back seat bracket works out really good as well. The light ends up alot more visible up higher and allows you to really clean up the wiring.

indy%20gas%20tank bracket.jpg

H1Pilot

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I did this mod to one of my daughters sleds when she was 15'ish. I bought a pair of polaris skis and seat from a guy for $150. They were like new and made the sled look so much better.

The seat: I used square tubing and bent it to fit into the underside plastic molded Polaris seat bottom. I added 4 legs to the framework to mount to the tunnel. You can see that the framework includes a tab to hook into the front of the seat like it would on a stock application. This setup allowed me to avoid messing with the gas tank.

2011-11-04_10-10-01_838.jpg 2011-11-04_10-10-33_418.jpg 2011-11-04_10-10-59_77.jpg 2011-09-30_08-48-54_445.jpg 2011-09-30_08-48-37_57.jpg Before.jpg

Last edited:
M
Jan 22, 2013
seat mod

i've done 3 of these mods using 3 different polaris platforms and various seats. the last one was a indy lite like yours. i went the cheaper route. i used factory seat but cut it up, shaped it and recovered it to look like a modern seat, while giving it more hight and less bulk between the legs. it worked great since all mounts were still there. i installed a gen ii mod cobra windshield on it , iq skis and made a bracket to mount a gen ii style reverse lever. I would post pics if my son would leave it here long enough.

C
Oct 29, 2008
Yes get some Pics please. I will be looking to do similair mods to the Indy Lite I have for my Son this Summer.This is his last year on the 120 Mod.

C
Nov 22, 2015
I did this mod to one of my daughters sleds when she was 15'ish. I bought a pair of polaris skis and seat from a guy for $150. They were like new and made the sled look so much better.

The seat: I used square tubing and bent it to fit into the underside plastic molded Polaris seat bottom. I added 4 legs to the framework to mount to the tunnel. You can see that the framework includes a tab to hook into the front of the seat like it would on a stock application. This setup allowed me to avoid messing with the gas tank.

Thanks for your post. Been trying to figure out what to do seat wise with this indy trail I got. Going to use a seat from a shift IQ and stock tank from the trail minus that cover they put on. I'm going to make up a frame similar to what you made. I might run flat bar under it for support and bend to fit vs sections of square bar. I was hoping to use aluminium but just to much work I suck as tig welding. I'll post pics when I have a frame made up and when it's mount to help others with options.

Premium Features