• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Apex with B.D. GT28 Turbo

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Mine has been a fantastic running sled from the time I bought the sled and put the turbo on it, 4000 miles ago. Never touched the turbo, have not had a AFR gauge on it since 1000 miles, just runs the same every time it is ridden.
I did do the install, and from what I gather from reading on here is that some people have had issues with them, and I chalk that up to install mostly. Sure there could have been issues with parts here and there but, I got one of their first kits and have not touched anything to do with the turbo since the beginning so.......?
I would not hesitate one second to buy my sled again. Just be careful with what someone else has done.

bigrhett

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alpine, UT
Keep an eye on the header gasket and the flex joint if it's the old style. That joint WILL go bad and leak eventually leading to a fire (seen it happen).

The oil feed line tends to flow too much oil so it will smoke on occasion or push oil out through the intake so that it goes through the intercooler and into the boost sensing lines and cause problems. A more restrictive line will reduce that problem.

And, if you run more than about 15# of boost, be prepared to constantly re-attach your intercooler. I ended up putting a ratchet strap across it to keep it on at 17-19lbs (I had pistons and rods so I would run that much boost frequently). It was totally mickey-mouse, but it worked and I was tired of putting it back on.

Make sure the brake disc and caliper is isolated from heat. I fabbed up a little shield that protected the caliper and brake line. Wrap the header to the turbo and to the tunnel in heat wrap and put foil on all the rubber hoses in that area including the brake line and water hoses.

FYI Any more than about 18# on the 2860 just makes more heat and no more power as you're outside of the efficiency curve.

Other than that, if it's dialed in and running well, then it should be a good sled that should give several thousand miles of serious grins.

S
Mar 31, 2008
Thank you yes it has rods,pistons and valve spring so i will run max boost alot. You think that is 18psi? Man i was thinking like 22-23 made more hp?

Skydog

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
Thank you yes it has rods,pistons and valve spring so i will run max boost alot. You think that is 18psi? Man i was thinking like 22-23 made more hp?

Skydog

If your closer to sea level then I think you can run more boost efficiently.

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
It depends on your elevation. 2860 is good to about 24 psi at sea level. It's only good to about 17 psi effeciency at 10K ft. It doesn't have a very good pressure ratio, so when you go up in elevation that max boost number you can run drops dramatically if you don't want to jump out of the compressor map and start blowing hot air.

bigrhett

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alpine, UT

With those mods, the engine should surely handle the boost but as Sledfvr and Zeb say, at elevation, the turbo will basically just blow hotter air and not any more volume. That's not a function so much of the Boondocker kit as it related directly to the 2860 turbo.

If you're gonna run that much boost, then I'm thinking you will frequently blow the intercooler off the throttle bodies. It started happening to me at about 17 to 18 psi :face-icon-small-sad The higher boost also made oil blow out of my breather tube too. It's how the Boondocker oil tank is set up, so just be sure to pack an extra quart of oil or so.

Also, I really hope you have a different skid on it too as it will just wheelie with that much power. When you put your 174 under there, don't forget some Avid drivers too 'cause you'll be wearing out the stock ones quickly at the higher boost.

Premium Features