• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo / Pipe Coatings - What works???

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
I t seems like rust is a part of owning a turbo. I just can't get happy with all the work and $$$ a guy puts into these buggies just to have a rusty turbo 2nd year.

I tried this stuff but havent fired it up yet to see if it lasts. Has anyone used this product, what were the results? Is there a better option? I did sandblast and prep before spraying it, we'll see. Whats eveyone else doing? Thanks. EW

Pics492.jpg

Pics516.jpg

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Just did the exact same thing with PJ1's Fast Black. Good for 1400 degrees. I was going to use the VHT but already had the PJ1 on hand and decided it would do the trick. We'll see.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
ceramic coating doesnt work, have three turbos that were cermaic coated from the get go in my group and it still rusts through. EW i used the VHT black on mine and its worked great so far over three rides. i'm sure it wont last another 3k mile season, but it definately looks a lot better than the rust.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
according to Swain tech the don't reccomend coating the insides of anything when aturbo is in place, too much potential for a bad spot flaking off and tearing up a wheel. I had strongly considered ceramic for my exhaust housing and all of the pipe and dump pipe. But after running the PJ1 fast black on the stinger I weleded on last year and my dump pipe, with great results, I decided to give it a shot on the turbine housing and center section housing. We'll see how it works but I have pretty high expectations. I wire wheeled all the rust off the parts, then gave them a good wipe down with laquer thinner until the rag was clean after wiping it. Then put 4 coats of the PJ1 fastblack on it. Hopefully it will hold up.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
xc700116, you'll be happy with the results, same thing we did using the vht, held up great on 2 sleds last season, i was just to lazy to tear mine apart and do it until this summer.

Premium Features