• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

EFI, whats needed?

R
Apr 20, 2009
vernon bc
not to sound like a total moron, Iam but I am just wondering if a guy was to make is own turbo set up and run minimal boost (4-6) whats all needed for the efi. do you need a controler or reset the stock ecu? i have everything figered for my carbed sled. but just curious what it takes for my rmk 900 to run on boost. thanks

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
electronic fuel controller. You can run something like a boondocker box. They even publish their "base" setting so you can probably start with those depending on the turbo you choose.

I would like to do a turbo myself. I am leaning towards a complete build because I think $6k is an amazing rip-off. I know there is R&D involved but I know I could put one together for under $2k. Granted I don't know if I can produce them for that price because I consider "my time" free. It would be a keep me busy in the summer project.

Looks liek teh Gt28rs is a solid turbo that everyone is running although I would be interested in the A/R on them.

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
You wouldn't do it for $2000 with new parts, if you scavenged used parts and built it pump gas maybe but not new. Race gas, no way.
Just for a pump gas you got.
Turbo is $1000 minimum, control box is $4-500 BOV is $100+, clutching $200 minimum if you get it right the first time, oil pump $100+, boost controller $75, boost guage $50, upgraded fuel pump $100+, Then you are going to have charge tube, coupler hoses, clamps, fittings, aluminum to build your charge box oil tank and brackets, spring hangers, extra springs, exhaust tubing, flanges, I know I am forgetting something. But you get the idea. Its all the little crap that adds up.

Not trying to talk you out of anything milehigh, just pointing out that it really does add up to well over $2000. The kits you are seeing for $6000 are race gas kits that have quite a bit more too them then just a pump gas. Pump gas kits are as low as $3500. If you are planning on building one, don't do it until the summer. It takes 10 times longer than you think to fab everything because it won't fit the first 4 times. Seriously I am in the middle of it.

The AR of the garrett that most are using is .60 on the compressor side .86 on the turbine.

Rideharder, you need a control box.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
-Turbo $1000
-EFI controller $350
-Boost gauage Free (I have several laying around from cars, like I said I can't produce this kit for that much but for me I could)
-BOV $150
-Oil pump $70
-Boost controller/MBC $50 or they are extremely easy to make, also have those parts laying around. Cost is probably $15 if you make
-Flange for Turbo -$45

That above is $1615. Which leaves almost $400 for Tubing won't really need a lot. I actually have a lot of that laying around from a custom intercooler piping project I did on the car. If you buy it, it is probably $100 for all the tubing in 304 stainless. Hose clamps, silcone hoses, etc can be had for a reasonable price. I honestly think you can come in right at $2k.

The Clutch I didn't figure, but some of the kits I looked at don't include the clutch kits. They are usually an $250 option or so.

You can certainly do it for under $2500.

The intake (part that goes into the throttle body/air box area) and your oil tank would be two of the most expensive parts aside from the turbo.

R
Apr 20, 2009
vernon bc
ok thanks all.
easly under 2k
i found a rebuilt garrett 2871 (with bov i think) for $100.00 i have access to all tubing benders and welders i need. guages and oil pump are one thing i need to buy. only thing i cant do on my own for cheep is the electrical. need to buy all that. the mechanical side is a cake walk. again thanks for the help... i think ill turbo my 617 blizzard 6500 first then maby move onto my rmk 900

EDIT: sorry just looked it is a 25 series not 28. but still if u look u can find a good price

Last edited:
D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
-Turbo $1000
-EFI controller $350
-Boost gauage Free (I have several laying around from cars, like I said I can't produce this kit for that much but for me I could)
-BOV $150
-Oil pump $70
-Boost controller/MBC $50 or they are extremely easy to make, also have those parts laying around. Cost is probably $15 if you make
-Flange for Turbo -$45

That above is $1615. Which leaves almost $400 for Tubing won't really need a lot. I actually have a lot of that laying around from a custom intercooler piping project I did on the car. If you buy it, it is probably $100 for all the tubing in 304 stainless. Hose clamps, silcone hoses, etc can be had for a reasonable price. I honestly think you can come in right at $2k.

The Clutch I didn't figure, but some of the kits I looked at don't include the clutch kits. They are usually an $250 option or so.

You can certainly do it for under $2500.

The intake (part that goes into the throttle body/air box area) and your oil tank would be two of the most expensive parts aside from the turbo.

Yea I wasn't trying to cut you down or anything, It just seems that everyone(including myself) forgets about this or that and all the little things add up quick. I am literally into my carbed turbo setup for less than $500, same as you I got lots of stuff hanging around from previous builds. I work at a fab shop so I am doing all my own fab work.

Fricken takes for ever though. I bet I made 6 different oil tanks before I got one I liked. Still working on the charge box. PITA.
I think the last boost controller I made cost me $7.

Last edited:
Premium Features