• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

turbo top end??????

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
i have a 08 700 i ruined a piston in it last year destroying the cylinder and piston and punching a quarter size hole in the case. iam putting all new bearing in it.

what pistons should i use for a pumpgas kit i just see that some people like single ring and some like double i would think double would be better for boost. any coatings i should get done? and about how much for the coatings??

, any other changes i should make while its all torn apart with the crank out of the cases

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
When i updated my 08 800 with a turbo, the dealer suggested i not do the 2 ring pistons, and go to the single ring piston. The reason was that the 2 ring pistons had thinner "lands" and when/if detonation occured, that was the weakest area that tended to fail. The single ring pistons had over 2 times the thickness in that same area when compared to the 2 ring pistons. I did have to pay extra to get the better pistons, but feel it was a good thing. Now...keep in mind that this was for the 800 not the 700. I dont know if they have this "special" piston available for the 700 or not.

If you have any question about this, you might give the guys at Carl's Cycle in Boise ID a call. 208-853-5550, and see if they have that same piston for the 700.

Hope this helps....

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
I'm running the singels for the reasons mentioned (lands breaking out) this is per Boondocker's reccomendation and what was stock in my 08 700.

So far so good for me.

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
well i thought the cause was my fault running twins and deto, i marked all my bolts and took it in for warrentiy, sled didnt even move from where i droped it off none of the bolts been turned they called me said it overheated because i have my tunnel line-x i only had my temp lite come on when i first got it and i still have one perfeclty good piston and cylinder:rolleyes:

should i have any bottom end stuff taken care of while its out?

Premium Features