• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need Clutch setup advice for 2016 Axys Pro RMK

B
Feb 14, 2015
WI, UP
Hi everyone! This is a subject that has probably been went over before but I had no luck finding it.

I live in WI and have so far only ridden my sled in the UP, but taking a trip over new years to WY.. going to be riding at 8-10K ft. It is a 2016 Axys Pro RMK 800ho w/ the 155x2.6 track.

Looking to stay with the stock clutch (turbo going on next year) looking for weight and spring advice to get the most out of this thing on it's first trip west.

Thanks for your time
Blackspade

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
If your still running the factory primary spring (120/320), the only change you need to make is clutch weights.
10-62 for 8-10,000 ft
10-60 for 10-12,000ft

If most of your riding is going to be closer to 10,000 OR your a bigger guy, go with the 10-60's. If your a lighter guy or riding closer to 8,000 ft go with the 10-62's.

B
Feb 14, 2015
WI, UP
Thanks to both of you!

I should've mentioned that I did look at the owners manual.. I was wondering if anyone had experience at those elevations

SRXRULE.. what would you consider a lighter guy? I'm about 205 in shorts.. probably 215 geared up to ride.

I'm only going to get one shot with this set up.. I'm looking for any advice/experience anyone has

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
For stock or close to stock, stick with what the manual says.

If you want to start playing and messing around with clutching...........

SLP blue / pink primary
Black / Purple secondary

Weights are close but as temps go up, start looking at slightly lighter.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Thanks to both of you!

I should've mentioned that I did look at the owners manual.. I was wondering if anyone had experience at those elevations

SRXRULE.. what would you consider a lighter guy? I'm about 205 in shorts.. probably 215 geared up to ride.

I'm only going to get one shot with this set up.. I'm looking for any advice/experience anyone has

Where are you going to be riding?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Thanks to both of you!

Generally speaking, sled clutching and suspension settings are figured on a 180lb rider. Ive found that to be pretty accurate. You are above that mark, but not by bunch.

Where are you going to be riding at? Ive ridden a lot of wyoming so I may be able to give a more accurate recommendation based on a specific area.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I live and ride here in Wyoming-
Where you going to ride at? Maybe I can help a bit-- but SRXSRULE is pretty much spot on!!- We find a tighter Higher rate primary spring 140-330 and the 62's works well in the nose bleed elevation's.

235lb rider fully dressed w/ Avy Pack.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
If you are going to get a hole kit. Get what Tony (TRS) runs. Or INDY Dan's full kit. I tryed 5 of the more popular kit's out there and they all fall short.

Last edited:
D
Feb 1, 2015
Clutching

You will need to buy the Helix from Carl's, and use the stock primary and secondary springs. If you use the 140/330, you will have a harder hit on the bottom end, but it usually trenches more rather than jumping up on top of the snow. From 6-8K we are running 64 Gram belly busters, or 66G if you have the SLP pipe. In combination with the roller bearing we sell, it works incredibly well, and the only thing you will need to change based on elevation is your weight setup!

If you have any other questions, give me a call at Carl's Cycle @ 208-853-5550 or shoot me a PM!

Daniel @ Carl's Cycle Sales

B
Feb 14, 2015
WI, UP
Thank you everyone for the advice!

Sage Crusher and SRXRULE.. Might be chasing the snow a bit, but looking like we will be around the Togwotee area at this point.

It's looking at this point like I'll be the "underpowered" one in the group haha. The only other N/A sled heading out from our group so far is a new Doo 850. It's going to be a blast making this thing dance to keep up!

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
There are many thing to try and some good advice on here-
If you go the TRS route ( which is a tried and true BEST ) you need to do everything 100%.

The 140/330 is not a trencher primary spring. IMHO..there is debate on the roller bearing in the secondary.
Some serious improvement can be had with out spending $$$ on a magic clutch kit.. but knowing your sled is paramount, they all react differently while being clutched identically!!

Last edited:
B
Feb 14, 2015
WI, UP
There are many thing to try and some good advice on here-
If you go the TRS route ( which is a tried and true BEST ) you need to do everything 100%.

The 140/330 is not a trencher primary spring. IMHO..there is debate on the roller bearing in the secondary.
Some serious improvement can be had with out spending $$$ on a magic clutch kit.. but knowing your sled is paramount, they all react differently while being clutched identically!!

I appreciate the knowledge!

I'm going to shove a turbo in it after the season, going between a silber and a sidekick right now (a topic for a different thread, I know).. being I'll be doing all new clutching with that, looking to keep it stock for one last season

G

green_denali

Dec 14, 2009
Anchorage, AK
clutching

like some one said above

slp blue pink primary spring
slp black purple secondary spring
riding that high, use a 60/38 helix
put delrin washers in your secondary, they're cheap
get some exhaust valve springs from slp for your elevation, theyre cheap to.
Get after market weights, stock weights suck, I run slp mtx weights in mine, they are much better, you will feel a difference.

Premium Features