• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BULLSH** POLARIS (ELECTRIC RELAYS IN HARNESS GO BAD FROM WATER INTRUSION)

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
depending on the connector...Dielectric grease can cause issues of it's own... for the most part... it is good to use.... there are also different dielectric greases.

A non-sealed relay (the actual case of the relay.... not the connector)... is not good at all, if truly not sealed. A non sealed relay... even in a 'bag' with the electrical stuff... IMO... is just waiting to fail from all of the humidity and condensation that happens in these sleds from normal use.

Thats why I'd like to see some high resolution photos of the relay itself and it's markings... also to know the resistance of the stock relay between post 85 & 86.

As for the relay and ordering.... need to match, fairly closely, the resistance of the trigger coil in the relay.

As for the engineers on these sleds at Polaris... I've met them and know a few of them... they are not 'corner cutters'.... that is where production costs and the staff at Medina get in there... and reign-in the engineers and their abilities to make a great sled and fix what really is a 'fixable' issue of the sub par wiring and component integration, IMO, on these sleds.

Plasti dip or brush on electrical tape will make them water proof. It's not the cure but it is a long lasting fix

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
FWIW-There is another relay for those of us with electric start��
It is located on the harness leading to the battery zip tied to the brace over the footwell

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Factory uses Song Chuan 871-1C-S-R1 relay (shown in photo above)

Looks like it is a 35 amp relay. 104Ω resistance on the coil overall, including resistor.

871 -- Basic series designation
1C -- Single pole double throw
S -- Sealed type washable
R1 -- Coil parallel with 1/2W resistor, 12V 680Ω

Mouser shows these for $2.61 each

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Song-Chuan/871-1C-S-R1-12VDC/?qs=X4N6sOTYzkiqzyaIQ7onUQ==

Hope some electrical guru's on here can assit in choosing the correct relay's to purchase-to at least give this a try and maybe cure the issues.
attachment.php

Last edited:

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
I have been really surprised that nobody has come out with an aftermarket complete wiring harness to replace the Chinese junk that we are provided with. Somebody would do very very well with this if done correctly.
Aftermarket guys are you listening? And Polaris are you listening!!!??

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I have been really surprised that nobody has come out with an aftermarket complete wiring harness to replace the Chinese junk that we are provided with. Somebody would do very very well with this if done correctly.
Aftermarket guys are you listening? And Polaris are you listening!!!??

Unfortunately... It's a numbers game. No need to improve if the number of warranty claims is below a certain threshold that their corporate division sets... for PI corporate.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
At those prices... buy 2 of them and keep them in a zip lock for you and your friends!!

Polaris wants $26.95 ea
MH- You sure that those will work for our application? If so I am buying a few dozen- !!!!
The female mating part I feel also allows moisture to breed as it is not sealed at all and water is pooled on the resistor and starts germinating the ugly " greenies"

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
Before my sled was on snow this year I relocated the relays. Polaris should have done this, but they didn't. Take the 5 minutes to do it and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble.

Pop the hood, cut the zip tie that holds the air box to the over-structure, add a little di-electric grease to the relays, wrap them in electrical tape, and find a longer zip tie to replace the one you cut. Done.

relocaterelay.jpg

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Polaris wants $26.95 ea
MH- You sure that those will work for our application? If so I am buying a few dozen- !!!!
The female mating part I feel also allows moisture to breed as it is not sealed at all and water is pooled on the resistor and starts germinating the ugly " greenies"

It is the same number as on the case photo from Sage above.

I meant to say "buy 20"... ;)

http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=0virtualkey0virtualkey871-1C-S-R1-12VDC

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
If it were me, on my sled... and I wasn't worried about the warranty... I'd install some of the better quality Bosch fully sealed relays with silicone sealed connectors...

But hey... that may be a bit overboard.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Yea...The relay integration in the harness is VERY "Bush-League" at best...

For the foul conditions that these sleds see... a MUCH better relay and connector should be used.

SHEESH !!!

yup, amazing really...need to be fully sealed weathertite relays, its pretty amazing they do the things they do

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Sage Crusher... Can you pull one of the relays and take a photo of the bottom, connection side, of the relay... I'd like to see how Song Chuan seals them.

Here ya go-
I honestly feel that it is the female (connection) side that gives us fits. It is not sealed where the wires run through it and water travels down those wires and pools on the sealed portion of the relay, and grows the "greenies"
Below is one of the female end with gunk and then w/ relay all cleaned up.

Female relay.jpg

Relay up.jpg

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Before my sled was on snow this year I relocated the relays. Polaris should have done this, but they didn't. Take the 5 minutes to do it and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble.

Pop the hood, cut the zip tie that holds the air box to the over-structure, add a little di-electric grease to the relays, wrap them in electrical tape, and find a longer zip tie to replace the one you cut. Done.

For the GPS model I ziptied to the holder which is near where you did yours. Also greased and sealed with some special tape.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I've popped 2 of those relays by the post now. I have since wrapped them in that stretchy silicone tape and pretty much sealed them up completely. No issues since. And FYI those things can be bought online for about 90% cheaper than Polaris sells them for. Same exact relay from the same manufacture. I bought like 8 of them just to have if I need them. At $2-3 a pop, it's no biggie

Premium Features