• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help with 04 900 carbs

M
Jan 28, 2008
NW Montana
04 mountain cat motor as it sits it starts to fill the motor with fuel and smells like raw fuel. The float bowls look fine and very clean what do I look for? Also looking for a after market can one that is fairly quiet. Thanks

R
One problem that I came across with the 900 I had and I now have another one, is the choke plungers. If you change your choke cables, they are a pain to set. If they are not right they will flood the engine instantly. The trick is too have it running then turn the nuts on top once it is running correctly. If it has the original cabels, the rubber seats on the plunger maybe worn out or even deteriorated too.
I have filled the crank case many a time.
Good luck.
For a quiet can, SLP.

Last edited:
M
Jan 28, 2008
NW Montana
Thanks for the tip of will look into it. That's funny that you say SLP for a quiet can that what I have and it's loud as heck. After talking to Dale cutler he thinks when I ordered the can from slp they shipped me a race can instead of the trail can.

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
If it is flooding while running it could be the choke adjustment. Other possibilities are something caught in the fuel inlet needle in the carb float bowl or stick floats, both of which would keep the needle from closing when the fuel level in bowl gets to the right level. If it is flooding while not running it is likely a broken diaphragm in the fuel pump.

R
It wouldn't be a fuel pump issue because you need a running motor to work the fuel pump. The fuel pump runs off of the impulse line from the bottom of the crank case.
It could be the needle and seat might possibly be stuck too. But when they stick, the floats hang down so the seat will be open allowing fuel to flow.
Rip down the carbs and clean them . I would start with the choke plungers.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
It wouldn't be a fuel pump issue because you need a running motor to work the fuel pump. The fuel pump runs off of the impulse line from the bottom of the crank case.
It could be the needle and seat might possibly be stuck too. But when they stick, the floats hang down so the seat will be open allowing fuel to flow.
Rip down the carbs and clean them . I would start with the choke plungers.

If the diaphragm in the fuel pump is torn, fuel will gravity feed through the pump and impulse line into the crankcase. It's rare with these pumps, but not unheard of. It's the only thing I can think of that would cause it to fill up while not running.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
put new orings in the plastic needle and seat assembly, take out the two screws that hold the whole assembly to the carb in the bowl, new oring and it'll be good to go. Ive done literally dozens of these, pressure tested before and after... The oring is the problem, the ethanol in the fuel breaks down the rubber oring causing it to go flat/soft or simply break.

It will siphon from the tank while sitting, but be even worse when running/pumping fuel.

Premium Features