• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Cat voltage regulator for polaris

R
Nov 9, 2008
SE IDAHO
I once read somewhere that an arctic cat voltage regulator is better than the pos polaris regulator and they work on polaris'. Is this true? I have a voltage regulator off a '98 powder special, would it work on my '01 rmk 700? Would I have to splice any wires or make any modification for it to work? Thanks

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Yup, the Cat 2 wire is WAY better than the stock Polaris one and costs about 1/2. I buy mine from Hi Performance Engineering, www.hiperf.com. Here is a picture of the regulator
174153.jpg

sled_guy

R
Nov 9, 2008
SE IDAHO
Cool, so do you think the one off my powder special would work? I looked at the link you posted (sled guy) and the applications for that regulator are all older arctic cat sleds.

T

thewished

Jan 13, 2009
Bend, Oregon
exactly, now I can run my LED tail and brake lights! I will take pics in a bit, it doubles as a rear holder for a gas can.

R
Nov 9, 2008
SE IDAHO
Finally got around to putting this on my 700. I got mine off a '98 powder special 600 efi that I sold for parts, but the consensus seems to be that almost any 2 wire cat regulator should work. Seems to work well, although for some reason I can't get my acc light in the gauge pod to illuminate. Not saying this is related, just wondering why it doesn't come on when I flip the hand warmers on. I changed the bulb(s) and still had no luck. I'll have to trace the wires and see. Sorry to myself for sorta jacking this thread... :D

R

rsamsel

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 21, 2011
Does anyone know where to get these now? I ordered one from the hiperf site above and they cancelled my order and said they weren't going to stock them anymore.

R

rsamsel

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 21, 2011
Thanks Steelman. I ended up getting an older style VR just like my previous one. I hear they stink but I'll hope for the best. Going to put it on tonight. If it doesn't work out (seems like a lot of them are doa) I will go with the Polaris updated version the same way you have yours setup.

Thank you much,
Rob

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
Thanks Steelman. I ended up getting an older style VR just like my previous one. I hear they stink but I'll hope for the best. Going to put it on tonight. If it doesn't work out (seems like a lot of them are doa) I will go with the Polaris updated version the same way you have yours setup.

Thank you much,
Rob

If you need help, let me know. PM me and I can give you my cell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D
Jan 6, 2014
OHIO
Adding LaserBeam lights to my exhaust smoke next

ordered (from a healthcare vendor, waterproof shock proof) 2 Red Laser Beam CrossHair beams. Gonna point one down through exhaust smoke and other behind it so when I'm moving the effects occur.:face-icon-small-con:light:

R

rsamsel

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 21, 2011
If you need help, let me know. PM me and I can give you my cell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well here is an update. I put the Polaris regulator on and it seemed to work. Took it out (or wife did as its her sled). It was great all day (about 30 miles). Lights were right. Grips heated right. Everything working.

2 miles from the truck we stopped to put ice scratchers down. When she started it there was NOTHING. I should say....it started fine but no lights no tach no grips. She rode it back to the truck and it ran fine.

Got it to the house. Confirmed lights still not working. Unplugged the yellow wire that comes from the voltage regulator and started it without revving it up. Lights came on bright and grips and tach back on. Plugged VR yellow wire back in and started....everything dead again. GRRRR

What do you think. Bad VR? But seems to be odd symptoms for a bad VR?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
A bit different than the usual failure but still a failure. They usually go open and you burn out everything that is on at the time. Luckily the ignition circuit does not go through the voltage regulator so at least it will run.

R

rsamsel

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 21, 2011
A bit different than the usual failure but still a failure. They usually go open and you burn out everything that is on at the time. Luckily the ignition circuit does not go through the voltage regulator so at least it will run.

Thank you for your reply. I was just glad it wasn't something more major (stator) that required tearing half the sled apart to figure out what it was and fix it. Artic Cat VR on its way to me.

H

hammered

Dec 7, 2007
Issaquah, WA.
It looks like this thread is long in time (years) so I am replying a year-and-a-half later to rsamsel regarding his intermittent electrical problem with his grips, lights, (and I assume his tachometer) while the engine still runs fine. I'm not sure he will ever see this post but it is available to others who come across this thread in the future.

The problem is most likely the engine harness electrical connector is working it's way loose. These plastic connectors have a locking tab that often wears down after being unplugged and then plugged back in several times. The engine vibrations gradually work the connection loose enough that the engine runs fine but the tachometer doesn't register and all lighting and grip heating goes dead. The connection is down low and at the rear of the MAG (right) side of the engine. It is in close proximity to the steering post which may also be a contributor to working the connection loose. The fix is simple...push the connection tight and snug up a zip tie after threading it between the wires on each side of the connection. Go enjoy your now reliable sled!

Premium Features