• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SideWinder reviews?

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
Curious myself, but it seems to be crickets from the Yammi camp this year.

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
Yea, I posted asking about videos and reviews and such and was given a link to Mud and Snow. The reviews were positive, but other than the Yamaha sourced articles and videos, that's all I've seen.

I'd really like to hear from owners. I'm amazed that there isn't more out there. Even the Totallyamaha site has just about nothing in the MTX section.

Hard to know if this sled is the real deal or not without owner feedback.

JackSprat

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2010
Northern Calirado
I agree, it's been quiet on the reviews.
I'm having plenty of fun on my 15', but wouldn't mind hearing how the new engine and clutch is working out?
:)

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
friend of mine bought one. he says he loves it. i have not personally gotten on it yet to give it a try

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
This weekend I'm going to Enterprise, OR to demo one of Outlaw Motorsports. I haven't seen much on youtube. I think people have moved on from the 4 strokes, because Yamaha is slow at change. I'm fine with it....it makes them more affordable. You can buy a turbo viper for next to nothing and I hoping to get a good deal on a sidewinder. I'm interested if there will be any changes for the 2018 sleds. Has anyone heard anything on release dates for the 2018? I haven't been able to find anything from all the companies.

Last edited:
T
Mar 30, 2010
15k and 40 pounds heavier then a viper! I think everyone finally got on axys or G4 And realized what they been missing.

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
1000k on mine and absolutely love it. first time in 20 years I have ridden a 100% stock sled. Im so impressed with the entire package, it boondocks as well as anything I have ridden, hit feel is positive to 200hp. Loaded up with fuel ready to ride its within 40lbs of a comparable 800 with 120hp at altitude. So power to weight ratio is favorable. ;)
Safe sledding
RS

Mar 4, 2009
I'm actually looking to do the same thing sharp! Will you please reply to this post on how you like the sled after the test ride this weekend.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
15k and 40 pounds heavier then a viper! I think everyone finally got on axys or G4 And realized what they been missing.

I think you're right and I wish I could switch only due to cost. If I rode 2 strokes I would buy a new sled every year or two, but I can't due to them being underpowered. The axys and G4 are good sleds and I enjoy riding my friends. If my wife rode I would consider buying one for her. I think their great beginner sleds.

Last edited:
K
May 9, 2013
1000k on mine and absolutely love it. first time in 20 years I have ridden a 100% stock sled. Im so impressed with the entire package, it boondocks as well as anything I have ridden, hit feel is positive to 200hp. Loaded up with fuel ready to ride its within 40lbs of a comparable 800 with 120hp at altitude. So power to weight ratio is favorable. ;)
Safe sledding
RS

Nice, If your impressed with it now. Try the chassis with Barcodes 365 kit. Not sure it fits the SW looking at pictures the Intake tubes may need to be moved.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Loaded up with fuel ready to ride its within 40lbs of a comparable 800 with 120hp at altitude.

I'm really sorry to always be raggin on ya. I have a Viper Turbo and a Polaris Axys SKS 800. (Basically the heaviest and the lightest sled available) There is way more than 40lbs difference. It got to be. Even in the garage when I'm just moving the sleds around I can notice a huge difference. I'd say closer to 100lbs.. And I'm thinking the sidewinder is probably 20lbs heavier than my Viper.

Anywho, all that being said.. When I actually ride the two sleds I notice the weight, BUT it doesn't hinder the performance A LOT. What I do notice is the ski lifting torque and 190+ horsepower that just pulls your arms to no end. I really miss that power when I ride the Polaris. I was super surprised after riding the Polaris how easy the Viper is to ride, for a heavy sled.

The biggest problem for me with the 4 stroke is not the weight, not even close.. Its the ability to run while on its side or upside down. Honestly I wouldn't even mind not being able to leave it running if it would just keep the oil in the engine at least.. A couple rides last year on my Viper by the time I got home I was on the "Low Oil" mark on my dip stick.. Had to leave my cabin and go out to town to get some oil for it before the next day's ride. That's pretty annoying... I know its the design of the engine, but the Apex didn't do it, and the Nytro didn't do it.. as bad as the Viper anyways.

On another topic, I know you are up there with the Yamaha corporate guys, can you please tell them to drop the Floats?? Or at least offer a GYTR, or Ohlins coil-over option on spring order?? I've had to change the valve in my rear, now it seems my fronts need new valves... Not cool seeing your sled bottomed out on the garage floor at -30.

Anywho, a sidewinder is in my future... Just going to wait it out and see how it goes... Like I should have done with the Viper.

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
Love the sidewinder all the benefits of a boosted viper from the factory.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
I'm really sorry to always be raggin on ya. I have a Viper Turbo and a Polaris Axys SKS 800. (Basically the heaviest and the lightest sled available) There is way more than 40lbs difference. It got to be. Even in the garage when I'm just moving the sleds around I can notice a huge difference. I'd say closer to 100lbs.. And I'm thinking the sidewinder is probably 20lbs heavier than my Viper.

Anywho, all that being said.. When I actually ride the two sleds I notice the weight, BUT it doesn't hinder the performance A LOT. What I do notice is the ski lifting torque and 190+ horsepower that just pulls your arms to no end. I really miss that power when I ride the Polaris. I was super surprised after riding the Polaris how easy the Viper is to ride, for a heavy sled.

The biggest problem for me with the 4 stroke is not the weight, not even close.. Its the ability to run while on its side or upside down. Honestly I wouldn't even mind not being able to leave it running if it would just keep the oil in the engine at least.. A couple rides last year on my Viper by the time I got home I was on the "Low Oil" mark on my dip stick.. Had to leave my cabin and go out to town to get some oil for it before the next day's ride. That's pretty annoying... I know its the design of the engine, but the Apex didn't do it, and the Nytro didn't do it.. as bad as the Viper anyways.

On another topic, I know you are up there with the Yamaha corporate guys, can you please tell them to drop the Floats?? Or at least offer a GYTR, or Ohlins coil-over option on spring order?? I've had to change the valve in my rear, now it seems my fronts need new valves... Not cool seeing your sled bottomed out on the garage floor at -30.

Anywho, a sidewinder is in my future... Just going to wait it out and see how it goes... Like I should have done with the Viper.

Have you done the roll over valve yet? I dont loose any amount of oil at all regardless of position if it is engaged and on.

I
Nov 26, 2007

I think he was comparing to the cat, which is 50lbs lighter than the sidewinder ready to ride. The G4 is 90lbs lighter and the axys is 120lbs lighter, all weighed on the same scale.

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
I think he was comparing to the cat, which is 50lbs lighter than the sidewinder ready to ride. The G4 is 90lbs lighter and the axys is 120lbs lighter, all weighed on the same scale.

icr, how much ride time do you have on your Sidewinder? What are your impressions?

I
Nov 26, 2007
icr, how much ride time do you have on your Sidewinder? What are your impressions?

I don't own one yet, hoping to try one this weekend. We have to drive six hours to Valdez to look for snow, it's been another terrible winter here. How's the snow down there?

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
I don't own one yet, hoping to try one this weekend. We have to drive six hours to Valdez to look for snow, it's been another terrible winter here. How's the snow down there?

You're in Eagle River aren't you? I thought Turnagain opened a week or two ago? And a friend in Wasilla told me that he rode Petersville last weekend. But he didn't say anything about the conditions.

Oddly, the snow has been great in Juneau so far this season.

Premium Features