• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need Reverse for 2002 summit!

S
Feb 6, 2008
Rossland, BC
I just bought a 2002 summit 800 and i really want to put reverse on it..just wonder if any body has it to sell? i want to know also if i could put reverse from a rev to an older summit like mine? thanks

P
Nov 1, 2006
Yakima, Wa. USA
Shane,
I have that reverse kit you are looking for, all there except the handle, your local dealer can order that though and shouldn't be too much. I'd like to see $180 which would include shipping to Canada. Paypal or a cashier' cheque is fine, just let me know. . .

Thanks, Scott (poodoo808)

H
Dec 21, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
Shane,
I have that reverse kit you are looking for, all there except the handle, your local dealer can order that though and shouldn't be too much. I'd like to see $180 which would include shipping to Canada. Paypal or a cashier' cheque is fine, just let me know. . .

Thanks, Scott (poodoo808)

I think he is looking for RER not mechanical reverse.

You will need to stick with RER from a 2002 model sled becuase in '03 they changed the ignition system completely and it is a much higher stator output than on the older models. Not saying it can't be done but it is much easier with parts from a 2002 model with RER. I did this on my 2001 so I will go dig up the link for that thread so you can see what you will need to make the conversion...

H
Dec 21, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
Sorry...that post was on the old forum so I can't get to it but here is what you will need...

*Magneto/flywheel from 2002 model RER sled (290W)
*MPEM from 2002 sled that all ready has RER since it can not be added. Preferrably a Summit MPEM that has DESS (with key) and DPM.
*Send MPEM to Ski Doo racing Dept (see attachmnet) to have reprogrammed for your motor if you couldn't find one from the same model sled.
*RER secondary and year is OK as long as it is the splined shaft (adjust clutching to your setup).
*Back up beeper (if you want it)
*Replace DESS dash light with one that is DESS/RER (if you want) other wise just DESS light will flash when in reverse.
*Reverse push button or left side handlebar switches form a 2003 with RER (will require wiring harness modification if you use the 2003 bar mounted switches)

I did this to a 2001 model so I had to replace all of the wiring harnesses (main, hood, and console) but from what I can tell, all of the 2002 ZX models have the same harness so even if you don't have RER now, your harness is all ready wired for it.

If you want to thear the gay little back up beeper, you will need to do one of 2 things.

• Either change out the DESS indicator light on the dash to a DESS/RER indicator which will allow you to have the back up beeper and flashing light
  • or if you reverse the wires on the DESS indicator you will get the beeper but no flashing indicator.

If you don't care about the beeper than hook up the wires correctly to the DESS indciator and it will flash when you are in reverse.

H
Dec 21, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
RER wont work on your sled. you will have to get a mechanical reverse kit. good luck

Yes it will.... He just needs to pick up the right parts to convert the sled. I put RER on a 2001 Summit 800 Highmark. You just have to know what parts to swap out with a sled that had RER originally. It just needs to be pre-2003 before they changed the stator output from 290W.

Last edited:
Premium Features