• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding in the Big Horns

S
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, MN
How is the riding from Bear Lodge between christmas and new years? we talking about going there since its closer than island park. Just let me know what you guys think about the big horns this time of year.
thanks alot

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
The problem at that time of year is there is not much of a base. Last year I was stuck to my armpits in snow and standing on the ground. Still fun but the rocks are pretty hard on stuff.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City, SD
Snow is usually good, lots of fun, just no base, if you go, be prepared to replace the front end of your sled when you hit rocks and logs that are just below the surface. You will definately have fu and you will definately hit stuff and probably break stuff.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
As they said it can be fun if there's some fresh pow. There's not much of a base though. Make sure your insurance is payed up and don't be surprised if you wreck something. Last year when we were there I noticed that if there is rocks on nearby hillsides, there's most likely alot of rocks in the meadow next to it. If there's no rocks on the hillside there's probably a fair amount of rocks there but definitly less than a hillside covered in rocks. I used this philosopy(if you call it that) when riding out there last year and never wrecked anything(still expecting too though somewhat). Make sure you've made alot of tracks in the meadow before you start getting too crazy.

Last edited:
S
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, MN
The only problem with going to cooke is we bring the wife's on this ride and cooke isnt friendly to people who dont like steep and deep. I do agree cooke is better but with ladies that dont really climb? Maybe island park will be the place to go. Any other ideas would be great. thanks guys

A

ARTIC CAT BUM

Dec 8, 2007
Hansen,Idaho
Sledding

I would go the extra two hours and stay at Togwotee,Wy area and They can ride while you guys can play in the steep and deep area and they can ride in a couple of different areas. Then Maybe they can drive to Jackson to do some shopping while you go playhard..

S
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, MN
good idea arctic cat bum. Im sure they would like a rest while the guys just want to ride ride ride. I will look into togwotee. If i remember correctly is togwotee lodge spendy. it would be over christmas/new years and theres always a up charge around that time. (any rental cabins anyone know of close to the hill in togwotee?) thanks

M

mezz250x

Feb 1, 2008
Dassel, MN
good idea arctic cat bum. Im sure they would like a rest while the guys just want to ride ride ride. I will look into togwotee. If i remember correctly is togwotee lodge spendy. it would be over christmas/new years and theres always a up charge around that time. (any rental cabins anyone know of close to the hill in togwotee?) thanks

Togwotee is a rip off. Awesome riding but its redicuolous to stay there. Your better off finding somewhere close to there to stay and trailering the sleds up the hill everyday

A

ARTIC CAT BUM

Dec 8, 2007
Hansen,Idaho
Sleds

Bunch of Us have stayed at Turpin Meadow ranch Also and The owners are very friendly, and it is only a 8 or 9 mile trail ride to go to Togwotee mountain lodge to goof off. There food is very good But alittle bit on the pricey side but very good..Cabins where pretty nice also..We broke sleds there one time and the owner let us take them in the shop and use tools to get them running..We seen alot of Moose also that was cool right up at the cabins alot..

Later
Good Luck
P.M. Me If you need info we go over there sometimes from Idaho..

Skidoox600

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
tog is alot futher than two hours from the big horns. I lived on top of the horns. takes me 16 to 18 to drive to the horns and about 22-24 hours to tog... Horns is decent that time of year. i was there last year 27th of December when I moved there and there was good snow then. I didnt hit anything then.. I rode almost every day.

D

DValentine

Nov 27, 2007
Laurel Montana
My wife who had about 10 miles of riding under her belt, on a Phazer 121 no less, went to Cooke. The snow was good, with a base. She is a timid rider at best. She made it into Daisy, Lulu and the lakes all are "roads" or jeep trails in the summer. She didn't go over Lulu, but there is alot of riding that is not extreme in my opinion. I would recommend.

Dave

cat rider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairmont, MN
The Snowies always seem to be good that time of the year. We went down there around Dec 15th last year and had a great time. Between the three of us we only broke one shock that had already been bent and arms on that same sled in 2 8-9hr days. Your looking at a week to 2 weeks later, the snow should be great by then.

S
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, MN
nate, you goota let me know where your favorite spot is in the horn so i can come tear it up! j/k. I did look at turpin meadows and thought it looked pretty nice. i run a sled deck so driving 8-9 miles everymorning isnt bad. just dont want the wife to be overwelmed by powder. im sure you guys know. looks like my choice is island park, cooke or togwotee. artic cat bum i sent ya a pm.

TurboT

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2008
W...Y...O
If you decide on Cooke City we usually go up the Goose Lake Jeep Trail. It's groomed(oftly rough sometimes), but will take you to Lulu Pass. If you climb over that and go north from there it will drop you down in the north side of Henderson Mountain. Great riding back in there. Just watch for avy's there! Lots of playground.
Togwotee? We used to stay @ the lodge. Mega expensive! I think their cabins are in the 250-275/night range which sleep 3 comfortably. Now we just stay down in Dubois. Lots of night life, good food, small crowds. It's a 30 minute drive to the top to ride, but not a big deal. Roads are usually well maintained.
Snowies? Fun mountain range. Been hitting this playground hard for the last 15 years. Lots of rocks before January. The best snow in the Snowies doesn't hit until late January/early February. Offers more diversity in riding styles. Hillclimbing, pow playing, trail riding.
My money would be #1 Tog(if with the ladies), #2 Cooke, #3 Snowies. Hope this helps:)

S
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, MN
cooke is fairly lady friendly, we took first timer ladies over daisey before on 133 sleds, Ive seen 8 yr old taking old school phazers on daisey. At the bottom of daisey is a nice meadow to turn the wifes loose on, any which way you go or look at it your lucky enough to get your wife to ride with you:)

thats true. anyone know where the best place to stay with 7 people would be in cooke? we do like to go out a little bit at night and want something with a full kitchen to cook. thats why the wife trips are nice. they cook we eat and drink. thanks

Premium Features