• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

^&*(*&^%$#'ng Power Cuts out in Warm outside Temps!

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
I'm getting tired of my '14 Pro having intermittent power cut out (like someone pushing the kill switch) randomly whenever the air temperature is greater than 45 deg F.

It is dangerous when trying to climb a hill to get back home and can be so violent that my chest hits the handlebars when at WOT.

5 degrees cooler on the other side of the continental divide and she is back to normal.

WTF is going on? Has anybody found a fix to this issue? Is there a sensor I can trick with a resistor to trick the ECU into thinking it is colder outisde? If so, please help!

Can this problem be fixed with one of those self-tuning power commanders?

This has happened since new and the first year it happened, dealer checked it out of warranty and found nothing wrong and TPS was spot on.

Upgrading to an Axys is not an option at this time.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. I read your post before I posted my issue. It only happens in warm spring temps like today and has happened since new when temps are over 45 deg F.

When its cold out, she runs perfectly. If it was faulty ECU terminals, it wouldn't be temp dependent but I'll take a peak and see if any of the terminals are loose.

I had an intermittent cut out issue on my '11 that was a result of faulty terminals in the ECU wiring connector, for the TSS circuit.

It never happened enough that I could say whether ambient temperature played a role.....

Regardless, here's the story: https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421627

Last edited:

rmjj

Premium Member
Jan 10, 2008
Brookings,SD
Same problem here 13 600 pro. Been doing it since new also only when warm outside. Posted this back in 13-14 but no remedy. Cuts out, loud whining noise from fuel tank. Just did it for one day this year early march. Have a 16 axys also no problems with that one. Anyone??

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
My '15 Pro 800 has done this "cut out gig" the last two rides(warm weather days). Only mine is doing it after I stop, kill the motor and then restart a few minutes later. I hit the flipper, then it cuts out. It will do this 2-3 times, then it gets going and runs OK. And mine occurs when my engine temps are getting up in the 150-160 degree range when I'm going slower and not kicking up enough snow. Once I get the motor cooled back down to 125-130, no more problem when I stop and start up again. It almost feels like a fuel vapor lock when the engine temp gets hotter and the engine compartment gets real warm. Never had any problems when air temps were colder. I'm going to check a few more things next ride and see if it keeps doing it. Would be nice to know if it's a sensor issue.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
We were riding back home which required a short easy climb onto the continental divide. I stopped short of the hill for about 15 minutes to allow the sled cool down below 100 deg F. As soon as I fired it up, I took off and she started the awful bucking immediately.

My riding partner that day didn't understand why I climbed the hill so slowly until I offered him my sled. He gave the sled back to me 5 feet later when it did the same thing to him.

Good thing is that his '17 800 Axys engine ran flawlessly in the same conditions. Perhaps Poo figured out that sleds are operated in temps warmer than freezing?

I'm going to do some research and see if there is a way to trick the ECU into thinking it is colder than actual temperature. I rather have an engine running slightly richer than one worse than a bucking bronco.

I don't think it was vapor lock. I needed to get rid of 5 gallons that ride of high octane fuel which has a lower vapor pressure than regular gasoline.

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
My 14 started giving me a lean bog this year, it's always been in the first 15 minutes of the day after it's at full operating temp on a warm day, down low, etc. Got a hunch it's probably the fuel pump. FWIW.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. I read your post before I posted my issue. It only happens in warm spring temps like today and has happened since new when temps are over 45 deg F.

When its cold out, she runs perfectly. If it was faulty ECU terminals, it wouldn't be temp dependent but I'll take a peak and see if any of the terminals are loose.

Not necessarily...if there was a compromise in the air temp circuit (TMAP wires going to ECU) then it could definitely cause an issue. So could a defective sensor.

There have been a few reports of this happening (very few here on the forum) in Spring temps but I haven't seen anybody report a definite fix. Some sleds seem to have very sensitive mapping changes with air temp increases.

I know TRS was looking in to this last year or the year before and if I remember correctly, felt the fuel pump/supply line to the injectors was causing the fuel to get too warm?

Sounds like it's time for some resistance checks on the T-Map sensor at the ECU. Verify the proper resistance with the air temp. This can be time consuming. If you exhaust all other options, you could try to fool the ECU with some resistor changes but I would recommend exhausting all other possibilities first.

Also, make sure that stupid wad off grounds wires attached at the front bumper mount are scraped clean with a wire brush and the fastener is secure.

I have fixed some goofy issues with these sleds after finding very small amounts of corrosion on the grounds.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Also, these sleds are notorious for cold pipe issues and runnabiloty after heat soak due to cold shock from the coolant in the cooler coming back and making drastic differences in the coolant temp hitting the coolant temp sensor.

The BRP Thermostat helps bigtime for this (not the cold pipe). Watch you coolant temp close after engine restarts and you will see what I am talking about.

is their a chance that wet and or loose or corrosion in wiring harness connectors play a part in this ? of course basics with any electrical problem is clean up every ground even if it looks good and electrical grease on whatever conections you can find. has swaping out the cdi helped anyone out that was experiancing this problem?
my least favorite thing to work on is electrical sorry i cant offer much more.
wouldnt it be nice if the digital wrench would identify intermitant electrical probs like these...

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
ii you have a poor electrical connection die electric grease will not help it will make it worse .die electric grease is a insulator ,and is used for stopping water intrusion . i does not promote conductivity . i hope thyis helps some one out there

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
I just don't think it is wiring or a bad sensor. My sled has been doing this since new and although it is a '14, it has about 50 hours of total use on it an is barely broken in-yeah, I don't get out much, I know.

J
Oct 8, 2010
Same problem here 13 600 pro. Been doing it since new also only when warm outside. Posted this back in 13-14 but no remedy. Cuts out, loud whining noise from fuel tank. Just did it for one day this year early march. Have a 16 axys also no problems with that one. Anyone??

I read an earlier post where someone was having electrical and run-ability troubles on the warm days too. He was running 100LL and added oil to his tank and that fixed his fuel pump noise and the other issues as well.:frusty:

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
Check the ground...we had one mis firing but it also threw an injector code. Cleaned ground and it went away. Also just a thought... we were thinking about the last time it happened to both pros is there is coolant line that runs over the top of the carbs ...with my turbo on they reroute those lines to the turbo. Last trip I saw 190 slow moving in the trees when it was warm out and didn't have a problem. I wasn't on the trip where the 2 pros had the problems when warm so don't know for sure if mine would have done it or not

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Dec 4, 2007

I have the exact same sled as yours. It has always run flawlessly and never missed a beat. On Saturday I rode in very warm temperatures. It was warm enough that when we stopped we wanted to be in the shade because it was too hot in the direct sun in a long-sleeved T shirt. Mid-afternoon I took off after a restart and it cut out 4 times. Later after another restart I could hear the fuel pump whining while idling. I also heard the fuel pump make a zip zip sound like maybe it was sucking air for a moment and thought I was low on fuel.

I rode again on Sunday in slightly cooler temps and never had a problem. I'm thinking that the problem may have been caused by a heat soaked fuel rail and injectors which could have caused a momentary vapor lock condition.

Anyone else think this could be the issue?

N
Apr 9, 2010
Soldotna, AK
I have a 15. I had a similar thing happening. Basically it would cut out at WOT under heavy load randomly. Had some interesting wipeouts. Anyways, it turned out that the tether cap had worn out... Tough to explain why it was cutting out when it did (not pulling on tether cord), but I replaced it and have had no issues since.

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Have you checked your TPS? When mine has had TPS issues the check engine light flashes and it cuts out.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I have the exact same sled as yours. It has always run flawlessly and never missed a beat. On Saturday I rode in very warm temperatures. It was warm enough that when we stopped we wanted to be in the shade because it was too hot in the direct sun in a long-sleeved T shirt. Mid-afternoon I took off after a restart and it cut out 4 times. Later after another restart I could hear the fuel pump whining while idling. I also heard the fuel pump make a zip zip sound like maybe it was sucking air for a moment and thought I was low on fuel.

I rode again on Sunday in slightly cooler temps and never had a problem. I'm thinking that the problem may have been caused by a heat soaked fuel rail and injectors which could have caused a momentary vapor lock condition.

Anyone else think this could be the issue?

Tony TRS reported this theory and phenomenon a couple 2-3 years ago on the Pro-Ride chassis in the Spring time. It's definitely possible and makes sense.

I'd be curious to try something; next time you're riding in those warm temps, try uncapping your fuel tank to relieve any built-up pressure and see if it makes a difference. I had an old Skidoo that would do the same thing in temps 45-50*F.

Premium Features