• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Let's talk fuel pumps in 2014 and up RMK 800's.

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
I've noticed a rash of these pumps going down lately.

I just installed a new one myself. I've had two mag side cylinders down, and I believe it is the result of poor fuel flow.

The factory pump is a Walbro F2000286.

This pump is rated at 45lph at 58psi (4 Bar).

This pump should support about 150hp maxed out at 12 Volts.

However the sled runs I believe 14v or 16v. I can't remember off the top of my head. Which should push it up into the 160hp-170hp range.

However at this power level the pump is for all intents and purposes maxed out, and you will begin to see pressure drop beyond this.

This can be compensated for with increased injector pintle opening times, but at 170hp the pump as far as the beer math is concerned is maxed out.

I've seen pumps flow beyond their capacity and also seen pumps fall a little short.

I've been building Turbo cars for years. I've got a 1000hp Corvette parked next to the Sled right now with 60,000 miles of boost on it, and it starts runs and drives like a factory car, this is due to me supplying adequate fuel via a pair of 400LPH Walbro pumps.

While a single pump can supply the fuel to make the power, I run two to decrease stress and load on the fuel pumps. I'm a huge proponent for doubling the required fuel flow for any given power requirement from the pump.

So... The sled is capable of making 160ish hp with the factory fuel pump running full tilt.

I made the decision to pull out the factory hangar and drop in a Walbro 255lph pump.

Mostly because I have three of them laying around.

This pump will supply more fuel than this engine will ever be capable of consuming even if it gets weak and drops down to half flow. The engine will still be at double the required flow to make stock horsepower.

If you're running a turbocharged this is a no brainer.

Things required for install:

1x Walbro 255lph pump.
1x Brass Nipple or Walbro 255lph pump remote install adapter.
Gas safe epoxy.

Get the fuel pump assembly out of the sled.

Separate the top of the fuel pump assembly from the bottom of the assembly. You have to pry out on a little tab behind the raised square that runs top to bottoms between the upper and lower half of the fuel pump hangar. Turn the bottom of the hangar clockwise if looking at the pump from the top, and it should come free.

Now you need to separate the stock pump from the upper half of the hangar. The pump is secured to the upper half via a rubber collar around the nipple on the upper half of the pump. You have to take a long screw driver and gently pry the pump down and away from the upper half of the hangar away from the pump. It should slide right out with very minimal pressure. Too much and you'll start to crack the housing. Go slow.

Disconnect the electrical connector and the pump should be free.

To install you're going to need to put a nipple on the bottom of the pump that will accept the factory feed line.

Using either a heated brass nipple screwed into the pump inlet and epoxy to secure it. Or an adapter kit which is available online.

You're gonna need to shave off the little rectangular tabs on the bottom of the pump.

You're also going to have to clearance the bottom side of the collar that secures the pump to its hangar to allow for the offset nipple placement.

You're going to have to swap the power wires to the pump. While the connector is the same, the positive and negative leads are on opposite sides. If you're going to cut and splice instead of swapping the pins. Do this to the wires that are outside of the tank. Unless you have fuel safe heatshrink on hand to protect them. Standard heatshrink will come apart and turn into nasty black crud and clog your fuel filters. (I have learned this one the hard way years ago)

Run red wire to Black wire and black wire to red wire.

Put your new pump into the assembly, and put it all back together!

You will now have ample fuel for more power than the sled will ever make.

Did not proof read*

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
You can also use a $40 fuel pump out of a 96+Chevy Silverado if you got dangl'n to do but ain't got time to fool around calling polaris.

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
I would but it's already back in the sled. I've been kicking around the idea offering this as a service. I have an extra pump and hangar coming in tomorrow

hontri

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Very interesting read.So i have a turbo 14 pro which runs extremely well. Imo. According to the above info it sounds like i am stressing out the stock pump and or not supplying the engine with enough fuel.I want this motor to last and not lean out due to insufficient fuel supply. Bigger pump seems like a great idea. Any other thoughts on the inability of the stock pump to work on higher horsepower applications?

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
That pump is rated for average 166.8 lph @ 14V and 400kPa.

45 GPH is 170lph... Someone must have a chart goofed up.

The stock pump is good up to about 400hp

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Oh yeah, gotta see photos.
This should be of interest to the big bore guys too.

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
They have GPH listed as well.

Well, I have an extra pump and hangar. Guess the only way to know for sure is to run a test!

Buckle up bitches it's science time!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
45LPH is only about 12 gallons per hour.... Since this is a recirculating system... that returns more fuel to the tank than it uses.... I find the 45 LPH number to be off by a long shot.

Thats only .2gpm... or about the size of a rockstar drink can per minute.... Hmmm...

I'd believe it was 45GPH.... 170LPH....

The smaller 150-LPH ($100) draws 5 amps... the larger 170-LPH ($120) draws 6.6 amps... sounds about right

Last edited:

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
UPDATE:

Finally got around to testing the pump on the snow today.

It pulls too many amps.

The check engine light would come on, and I would get a '147' code with a 4 secondary code.

Meaning DC voltage too low.

Pulled out the 255lph setup and threw in the factory pump and check engine light went away immediately.

Bummer. Back to the drawing board.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Been following here and was wondering if the DC system on the sled would handle that much amp draw, guess not but Is there a pump in the Walboro lineup that will replace the Polaris stock # for less money?? Can we get the number?? I need a pump farily soon I think.
gtwitch in wyoming

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
Drop in pump.

You will have to take apart the factory hangar to replace it though is an F2000286.

You can find them on EBay, and with a quick google search. Should be about $100-$110

wilsonck

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Calgary, Ab
Thanks for your write up. I believe my pump is going out and have had the pump and fuel pickup out last weekend. Got the bottom part of gray bracket off, but didn't want to pull too hard on pump to get it out without having a new one around.

Have you ever heard of the pickups (smart valves) having issues? I figure that I should pickup some new fuel pickups and replace them just to confirm, in the event that my problem isn't my pump. I have had it bog and even die when my tank is like 1/4 full and pulling up a hill. When I am back on the flat ground, I can start the sled, take off the fuel cap and I hear a wheezing from the tank, so that just lead me to think that the problem was the pump.

R
Sep 28, 2009
Check valves

I would look at your check valves Polaris sells the whole assy. But I got lucky and found a bad pump assy from dealer and robbed the check valve to fix mine

Premium Features