• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

broken bolt in cylinder, part of it sticking out

L
Jan 29, 2010
apparently the previous owner of this motor I swapped into my pro ride decided to use red lock tite on these tiny bolts holding the ves valve into the cylinder on a 13 motor

snapped 2 of them trying to pull the VES valves out tonight in the shop, I have about a quarter inch sticking out of the cylinder on the short one

what is the method for getting these things out?
im thinking welding a nut onto the end of the bolt and then applying generous amounts of heat

is there a better method?

L
Jan 29, 2010
been trying that with a pair of pliers, I don't have a good small vice grip
using propane and it just didn't seem like I could either get grip or enough heat into it

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
been trying that with a pair of pliers, I don't have a good small vice grip
using propane and it just didn't seem like I could either get grip or enough heat into it

I would think welding a nut on would be your best option.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Removal

Drill pilot hole, insert ez-out tool, apply heat, done!

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Weld a slightly oversized nut on it.

Welding the nut on will do both things; release the Loc-Tite from the heat of welding and give you something to grab to turn it. Typically I weld it hot enough that the nut and stud are red hot. I then let the heat run down the stud as the nut cools down and regains some strength. Give it 30 seconds to a minute to heat soak. Twist it out. If it is really stubborn it may take a few tries, but that is usually rust related and should not be an issue here.

NOTE; Before Welding! Clear the flammables away so it doesn't get expensive and think about where the sparks are going to go and protect those exposures.

And as Dave suggested; Smart money is unplugging the ECU. Although I never have and it has never been an issue in my 35 years of welding professionally. We do usually disconnect or at least turn off the batteries if there is a battery disconnect.

But "It is the exception that proves the rule!"

Last edited:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Welding the nut on will do both things; release the Loc-Tite from the heat of welding and give you something to grab to turn it. Typically I weld it hot enough that the nut and stud are red hot. I then the the heat run down the stud as the nut cools down and regains some strength. Give it 30 seconds to a minute to heat soak. Twist it out. If it is really stubborn it may take a few tries, but that is usually rust related and should not be an issue here.

NOTE; Before Welding! Clear the flammables away so it doesn't get expensive and think about where the sparks are going to go and protect those exposures.

And please disconnect the ECU from the sled if you weld.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
apparently the previous owner of this motor I swapped into my pro ride decided to use red lock tite on these tiny bolts holding the ves valve into the cylinder on a 13 motor

snapped 2 of them trying to pull the VES valves out tonight in the shop, I have about a quarter inch sticking out of the cylinder on the short one

what is the method for getting these things out?
im thinking welding a nut onto the end of the bolt and then applying generous amounts of heat

is there a better method?
heat it and and vise grips but when you heat it only heat the bolt itself it will spin right out when hot enough,if you need to do others heat the cylinder but be careful .

L
Jan 29, 2010
how much of the ECU should I be unplugging?
complete disconnection?

to save some effort ill try a good set of vice grips then if that doesn't work out comes the welder

Q
Mar 11, 2011
Olds
I had a broken bolt on my 12 and found with a propane torch the aluminum soaked up the heat too fast to be effective, used oxy/acetylene and came out no problem, of course you have to be a lot more careful to not melt the aluminum.

L
Jan 29, 2010
That's what I noticed the other night, no matter how long I sat there with the propane torch, the soaked up the heat so fast it was cold To put my finger on

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Weld it out already

It took me longer to type my first post (not including the edit time) than it would have taken me to remove both broken bolts.

Premium Features