• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where are you reading engine temp at?

Y
Jul 19, 2016
Marquette, MI
I've got a Trail Tech temp gauge with the sender in the lower right radiator. Even with that radiator mostly covered the coolant temp dropped to 105 pretty quick on my first ride. Is there a better way to read actual engine temp? This is a 16 Beta 350RR.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Mine plugs into the tgermobob stat... You will need an engine cover

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Y
Jul 19, 2016
Marquette, MI
My engine is very well covered, and I'm using the stock thermostat. The Beta RS models came with a Trail Tech Voyager which measured engine temp from the head, would love to get one of those but not for $300 just to measure temps.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
But you still not getting warm right? I am pretty sure the beta stat allows coolant to flow ... Thermobob does not.

Y
Jul 19, 2016
Marquette, MI
He's got nothing listed for Betas, maybe something for another bike would fit? Might have to call.

My stock hoses with thermostat on left, I run the silicone hoses on the right in the summer.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I have a beta xtrainer I used one... I can snap a pic Tuesday when I have it in front of me... But it is a similar set up stat wise.

Y
Jul 19, 2016
Marquette, MI
ThermoBob is great! Isolates engine coolent temp independent of radiators. Add a TTO temp gauge and know at a glance. Pretty clean setup really
I have a TTO temp gauge, but I'm reading from the lower port on the right hand radiator, which to me is independent of actual engine temp. I'm looking for a better place to put the sending unit. I'll get the ThermoBob if I can make one of his fit my Beta.

yooper01

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
Scott do you have room for a 19 mm trail tech inline unit before the t-stat? I found a big discrepancy between my coolant temp in the radiator and what was coming out of the head...Like 30 to 50 degrees..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
Yep, a temp gauge in the radiator isn't gonna tell you anything you care about. The temp of the coolant going back into the motor doesn't tell ya much.

You really want to know what your coolant temp is leaving the motor. You can buy an in-line unit from trailtech and just cut into your coolant hose before the t-stat.

On second thought you can buy just the inline portion and use your existing trail tech sensor and gauge to save a couple bucks. Double check the hose diameter though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0085Y19MG/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1&th=1

Kell

Last edited:

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
'Tis .years thermobob has a spot for the TTO right on the housing. And he has an optional 195 stat,,,, works for me!

Y
Jul 19, 2016
Marquette, MI
So looking at the Thermo Bob units the port for the sending unit is on the bottom side of the thermostat, I would assume that if I cut a line and put in an adapter I would use the line coming off the bottom right of the thermostat housing?

yooper01

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
So looking at the Thermo Bob units the port for the sending unit is on the bottom side of the thermostat, I would assume that if I cut a line and put in an adapter I would use the line coming off the bottom right of the thermostat housing?

That looks right.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Y
Jul 19, 2016
Marquette, MI
Thanks Chris, got the part ordered. Got my ladder ramp done using an old ladder and scrap I had laying around. I've made a couple mods since this pic mainly added a couple pulleys so the rope from the winch pulls the ladder up from the middle so it goes in straight. So easy to load and unload.

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
Post a video!

Thanks Chris, got the part ordered. Got my ladder ramp done using an old ladder and scrap I had laying around. I've made a couple mods since this pic mainly added a couple pulleys so the rope from the winch pulls the ladder up from the middle so it goes in straight. So easy to load and unload.

Id love to see more pics of that ramp idea or a video. That looks sweet!

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Ramp looks sweet. You should post it in a different thread title so it will come up in a search after this thread dies.

Y
Jul 19, 2016
Marquette, MI
Ramp looks sweet. You should post it in a different thread title so it will come up in a search after this thread dies.
Next time I load up I'll either take some better pics or shoot a short vid and post it up, might be a little while we're lacking snow.

Here's my homemade front wheel kit. Made a bracket that bolts to the lower spindle and welded up a frame out of 1" square stock. Lay it down, hook it in the bracket and just pull it up to the forks and done.

yooper01

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
Nice,

My bike and kit are currently in pieces, but I will be back together and riding by mid January.

Can't wait to ride!

Premium Features