• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Doo 3-inch vs Axys 163 3-inch

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
i went head to head with a 163x3 2016 axys in deep
dry snow. while the axys beat up on the pro, wasn't close
to my 165x3. axys was turning out where the g4 just kept
climbing. true story with pretty equal riders

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Well an axys with head and pipe is the same as the 850. I ride will a few 850 all the time. The 850 still has a bit more bottom end hit. They trade hight marks buy 10' each time.

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
Rode last Saturday with a 165 850, two T3's (163 and a 174) and two Axys (163x2.6 and 174x3). There was about 2' of new powder and an abundance of unclimbable hills, so it was a great day to compare the climbing ability between the sleds. At the end of the day we were all surprised by the results. We expected that the 850 would be the dominant sled, with the 174's next and the Axys 163x2.6 being last. The reality was that there wasn't a significant between the five sleds, and the Axys 2.6 more than held its own with the 3" tracks.

The 850 got its share of the highmarks, but didn't dominate the other sleds. On one hill, the 850 didn't do well at all. This hill had a weird snow that was like sugar. It wasn't the dry fluffy powder that we normally have, but was small granules that wouldn't pack at all. On that hill the 3.5" pitch track on the 850 was a disadvantage and just wouldn't hook up. The 850 owner was complaining and had two others try it, and the result was the same.

So which sled climbs the best? From what I've seen it depends on which one has the best rider, best track design for the snow conditions, best clutch set-up for the snow conditions, who picks the best line, who catches a frozen track under the snow, etc., etc. No clear winner, but no losers either.

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
Rode last Saturday with a 165 850, two T3's (163 and a 174) and two Axys (163x2.6 and 174x3). There was about 2' of new powder and an abundance of unclimbable hills, so it was a great day to compare the climbing ability between the sleds. At the end of the day we were all surprised by the results. We expected that the 850 would be the dominant sled, with the 174's next and the Axys 163x2.6 being last. The reality was that there wasn't a significant between the five sleds, and the Axys 2.6 more than held its own with the 3" tracks.

The 850 got its share of the highmarks, but didn't dominate the other sleds. On one hill, the 850 didn't do well at all. This hill had a weird snow that was like sugar. It wasn't the dry fluffy powder that we normally have, but was small granules that wouldn't pack at all. On that hill the 3.5" pitch track on the 850 was a disadvantage and just wouldn't hook up. The 850 owner was complaining and had two others try it, and the result was the same.

So which sled climbs the best? From what I've seen it depends on which one has the best rider, best track design for the snow conditions, best clutch set-up for the snow conditions, who picks the best line, who catches a frozen track under the snow, etc., etc. No clear winner, but no losers either.
just outa curiosity, were any of the g4's out of break in yet?

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
Break in thing is not a pipe dream lol. I have been riding doo since 99. It may not be noticeable to some but it is to me and others who pay close attention to tuning.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
So if I pay close attention mine will run 10 percent better. Hope I don't hit a tree while I'm paying close attention tomorrow
I've rode them all and no noticeable difference. Heard the same thing on vehicles and fuel mileage. Have a good season.

Last edited:

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
So if I pay close attention mine will run 10 percent better. Hope I don't hit a tree while I'm paying close attention tomorrow
I've rode them all and no noticeable difference. Heard the same thing on vehicles and fuel mileage. Have a good season.
Haha, isn't that the truth?

I've broke in 2 etecs, and not once have I gained power after break in is complete. They stop drinking oil like pig, that's it.

K
Sep 4, 2012
Tri-Cities, WA
Only time you'll notice the break-in is pulling a hill WFO. You can feel it take away a few rpm for a moment or two. Kind of like hitting your governor limit on your rig. Like BRAAAAAAAAAAAPerrrBRAAAAAAAAAAAPerrr, etc.

After break in or most of the way done the computer stops taking it away at the top like that.

Last edited:
I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
My 14 and 16 etech both had to drop one clicker at a point during break in riding the same elevations. This to me says it's gaining strength as the break in wears off.

Premium Features