• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris switchback 600 2012 oil usage problem

G
Mar 14, 2017
Hey, I recently bought a switchback 600 year 2012 model from a local person here, and I have been having a problem with the oil usage on it. It sucks lots of oil through out the day, sometimes 1 bottle oil only last the day. I have tried adjusting the throttle system with the carburetors but I can't seem to figure it out, there is a bolt that is 10mm with a flat head screw, I know it increases the oil when you turn it 3 times clockwise but having a problem reversing it back to how it originally was, I removed the clutch cover, secondary clutch, airbox. Any information I'm missing? I was thinking the nut and screw was a air flow for the gas and does it have to be align with the throttle? but not sure. If I can get some help it would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jim.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Can you elaborate on what "1 bottle" is? A liter / quart? or the whole reservoir? Also, how many liters / gallons of fuel used per "bottle"?

With regard to the oil pump adjustment, it sounds like you may have inadvertently adjusted the throttle synchronization screw.

Do a search on the Pro Ride forum on adjusting the oil pump. There are a few good threads with pictures explaining the procedure.

Hey, I recently bought a switchback 600 year 2012 model from a local person here, and I have been having a problem with the oil usage on it. It sucks lots of oil through out the day, sometimes 1 bottle oil only last the day. I have tried adjusting the throttle system with the carburetors but I can't seem to figure it out, there is a bolt that is 10mm with a flat head screw, I know it increases the oil when you turn it 3 times clockwise but having a problem reversing it back to how it originally was, I removed the clutch cover, secondary clutch, airbox. Any information I'm missing? I was thinking the nut and screw was a air flow for the gas and does it have to be align with the throttle? but not sure. If I can get some help it would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jim.

H
Aug 31, 2012
BL WA
My 09 Dragon developed a problem like that a couple years ago. On one ride it went through almost a whole container (sled container) to 3/4 of a sled tank of gas. The before rides it would use around 1/4 of a container of oil to the same amount of gas. It happened all of a sudden and not over time. It ended up being a bad oil pump. I was told that if a oil pump fails they open up all the way. It is a pretty pricey unit so make sure you cover all bases before pointing your fingers at that. Just food for thought for ya.

Last edited:
Premium Features