• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Smokindave's Builds/Or Why I Am Broke Thread

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
A couple of nights ago Duckrider asked me to post my build.So here it goes.

First Build-2008 Arctic Cat M1000 Sno Pro
-Fully case ported,cylinder porting with the head clipped by Brent Linderman @ Arctic Edge motorsports.
-Fabcraft 174" tunnel powdercoated orange with black runningboards/cooler lines.
-Timbersled suspension with 174" Ice Age rails powdercoated white,BDX two wheel kit and black hyperfax.
-HMP shorty lightweight seat
-AMP gauge cage
-AMP 4.5" riser
-Stock hood with headlight delete venting with even more venting

Parts I am waiting for to complete project.All these parts and a real good month of work,real good!
-Twisted Turbo race gas kit
-Camoplast Callenger Extreme 174" cut down to 15"wide with 3" paddles
-install will be by Brent Linderman
-BDX Diamond Drive Lite with billit cover
-BDX track shaft

Second Build 2006 Yamaha Apex MCX rearmount 310 kitI got this sled over the summer.
-tunnel powdercoated gun metal gray/fresh black paint on hood.
-CR Racing hood
-CR Racing gauge bracket
-CR Racing light bracket
-CR Racing air intake snorkle
-174"Ice Age rails anodised black with stock suspension
-Ice Age billit wheels anodised black
-oilite bushings
-Piaa lights
-Powermadd pivot riser
-new Yamaha ski's & wearbars
-Mountain Mod seat
-Avid drivers
-reverse kit

Parts on order for completion:
-Camoplast challenger Extreme 174" 16"wide with 2.5"paddles(should be here today)

Third build 1998 Ski Doo Mod I just bought this in the middle of October.
I bought this sled as an extra,it came with a 740 Union Bay motor,Cat secondary,151" track,Racers Edge bulkhead,lightweight traing arms,Pilot skis,K&N filters.
Things I have done to this one:
-Pivot riser
-polish tunnel
-clean up
Parts on order:
-Chain
-Updated recoil

Over the last week I have beeen sanding and prepping the hood and gas tank cover for the Apex and the Ski Doo hood for paint.
On Halloween Sunday I painted all the parts black.I gave them three coats of paint.
This was my first time ever painting,other than painting frames and deck on my picker trucks this was my first time painting anything cosmetic.
I am not totally happy with the paint job.I will try wet sanding out the orange peal tonite,if I can't get them to the way I want I will be taking them in to a body shop asap.
I'm pretty sure I can get them looking good wet sanding though.
Here is a mess of pictures and I will update as I finish.

shoppictures002.jpg

shoppictures003.jpg

shoppictures009.jpg

shoppictures008.jpg

shoppictures007.jpg

shoppictures004.jpg

shoppictures001.jpg

shoppictures005.jpg

shoppictures006.jpg

shoppictures016.jpg

shoppictures017.jpg

shoppictures011.jpg

shoppictures012.jpg

shoppictures013.jpg

shoppictures014.jpg

shoppictures015.jpg

shoppictures018.jpg

shoppictures019.jpg

shoppictures020.jpg

shoppictures021.jpg

shoppictures022.jpg

shoppictures024.jpg

shoppictures025.jpg

I'm thinking the Cat will probally be my favorite ride...but maybe the Yamaha,it should be fun trying to figure this problem out.:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-hap:canada:

Last edited:

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
Nice pics. Looks like a full time job. Keep us posted and full of pics as they come together. I agree with you on Arctic Cat being the best ride:face-icon-small-hap

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Yesterday mornong before work I started wet sanding my hood.I think after I finish sanding all pieces I will do another coat of paint and all should be well.I talked to a friend that has experiance and he told me the orange peel on my paint job is caused by me not putting the paint on heavy enough the first time.
Hopefully I will have it completed this weekend,I'll post pics then.

T

throttlecable

Dec 13, 2009
Fruita, CO
Organized

I love the super structured strict tool management system you got going on. The highly organized shop layout must be condusive to successful time sensitive projects,...quality control is priority one! :drum:

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I love the super structured strict tool management system you got going on. The highly organized shop layout must be condusive to successful time sensitive projects,...quality control is priority one! :drum:

Ya,no tool management what so ever...trying to build three sleds and working on two crane trucks takes up way too much time to bother about tool management.
When I can't find a tool that I need because of lack of organising I buy another...so it all works out in the end.lol

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
sweet, nice to know someone else with 3 sleds is determined as i am, lol...i dont se light in the tunnel, i think they shut it on me...

keep up the great work sir!!

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on my Apex

:face-icon-small-hapWell the skid is in,looks amazing.Lastnight I worked in my shop getting the CR Racing lightbar installed along with my Piaa lights.:face-icon-small-hap

All I have to do is clean up the paint work and get it all installed and I am ready to go ride!!!
I'll post some pics when I get it out of my shop.

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Hmmm I took my Apex for my very fist ride today through some ditches around my shop,WOW this thing is going to be a lot of fun!!!!

Premium Features